What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Can anyone date this horse shoe?

JustOneMorePlug

Full Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2025
Messages
177
Reaction score
937
Golden Thread
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this horseshoe on a friend’s property dating back to the 1800s. I cleaned it up with electrolysis and preserved it. It has six nail holes and seems to be hand forged. Can anyone give me more info on it? Thanks for looking!
20260110_210502.webp
 
The uniform fullers (the groove in the shoe where nail heads are seated) is a key indicator of a machine-made shoe, so it is no earlier than the mid 1850's. Beyond that, there is no real way to pinpoint a date that I am aware of.
 
Upvote 0
The uniform fullers (the groove in the shoe where nail heads are seated) is a key indicator of a machine-made shoe, so it is no earlier than the mid 1850's. Beyond that, there is no real way to pinpoint a date that I am aware of.
Thanks for the info!
 
Upvote 0
Interesting shoe ! I don't have any idea on it's age BUT I'd do a research on the property to help narrow it down some more . and some one knows who manufactured that type / style of shoe . This info could help you ! To me ,it does look like a keeper to hang up over your door !
 
Upvote 0
Interesting shoe ! I don't have any idea on it's age BUT I'd do a research on the property to help narrow it down some more . and some one knows who manufactured that type / style of shoe . This info could help you ! To me ,it does look like a keeper to hang up over your door !
The property is on a tract that was farmed until the 1950s. A mid-1800s map shows a structure on the opposite side of the property from where it was found. I have thoroughly searched that mapped location but haven’t recovered much. There are no indications of any other structures on the property, even on later maps.
However, I did discover a concentrated pile of bricks in another area, along with numerous early-1800s relics including flat buttons, musket balls, buckles, echelon plates and this horse shoe. Theres no telling!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom