traderoftreasures
Bronze Member
- Joined
- May 9, 2009
- Messages
- 2,211
- Reaction score
- 7
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- central, Illinois
- Detector(s) used
- white's spectrum VX3
I think it is worth hunting, whaterver you find will certainly be a relic, maybe even some old coins. I hope to see an update on that hunt, also try and get more info from the owner as to how old that barn really ishardly any chinking left. probably was mud. had kept horses, for i have found wagon and harness inside. i'm going to go look with the dfx right now.johnnyi said:I would definately (change that to probably) guess older than the 1870's-90's. The chinking is long gone from between the logs. The style of the cornering of the logs is old style, where the pioneers were smart enough to design them to let moiusture drain out of the joint. I too would guess pre Civil War. You can probably refine your date by examining closely the remaining original square nails on some of the interior boards. There are also ways to date by the remaining chinking (if there's any left) by examining it for horse hair, chicken feathers, etc.

where would i start, any suggestions thanks, harold4-H said:1880's I would guess. Have you done your reading? Like, what may have been there before the barn? Might be older than what you think....Always do the homework...mike

Maps, library, older people... There are Lot's of good information sources walking around outside your door!!traderoftreasures said:where would i start, any suggestions thanks, harold4-H said:1880's I would guess. Have you done your reading? Like, what may have been there before the barn? Might be older than what you think....Always do the homework...mike
