can anyone guess the age of this barn?...my new hunting site.... fresh !

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 541
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 523
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 539

geo4472

Feb 19, 2007
paterson nj
Detector(s) used
discovery 2000 , ace 250 & x-terra 50
Re: can anyone guess the age of this barn?...my new hunting site

1870's-1890's

Upvote 0
OP
OP
traderoftreasures

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3

the roof is newer addition to the old barn inside.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 513
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 520
Upvote 0

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would have guessed 1850-1870 :dontknow: I think it is worth hunting, whaterver you find will certainly be a relic, maybe even some old coins. I hope to see an update on that hunt, also try and get more info from the owner as to how old that barn really is

Upvote 0
OP
OP
traderoftreasures

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3

the town of jonesboro was settled in 1818 and it's just about 3 or 4 miles west.

Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I would definately (change that to probably) guess older than the 1870's-90's. The chinking is long gone from between the logs. The style of the cornering of the logs is old style, where the pioneers were smart enough to design them to let moiusture drain out of the joint. I too would guess pre Civil War. You can probably refine your date by examining closely the remaining original square nails on some of the interior boards. There are also ways to date by the remaining chinking (if there's any left) by examining it for horse hair, chicken feathers, etc.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
traderoftreasures

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3

johnnyi said:
I would definately (change that to probably) guess older than the 1870's-90's. The chinking is long gone from between the logs. The style of the cornering of the logs is old style, where the pioneers were smart enough to design them to let moiusture drain out of the joint. I too would guess pre Civil War. You can probably refine your date by examining closely the remaining original square nails on some of the interior boards. There are also ways to date by the remaining chinking (if there's any left) by examining it for horse hair, chicken feathers, etc.
hardly any chinking left. probably was mud. had kept horses, for i have found wagon and harness inside. i'm going to go look with the dfx right now.

Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hard to say.But will mention that my Grandfather had one very similar to this one.I tore it down for him I guess 10 years or so ago now.His wifes father built it in the early 1900's.It is a close match in design of this one.I would say yours 1890's if I had to guess.Just by the looks of the planking on the back.I see that nails were also used on it.The older ones I have seen around in my days have wooden pegs in the joints holding them together.Look for something like that.I remember how fast the wood from his burned and very hot.So much resin in the old wood you could smell the stuff as you took it apart.Anyway just my thought.

Ps. I'd put the MD to her though! :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

1880's I would guess. Have you done your reading? Like, what may have been there before the barn? Might be older than what you think....Always do the homework...mike

Upvote 0
OP
OP
traderoftreasures

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3

4-H said:
1880's I would guess. Have you done your reading? Like, what may have been there before the barn? Might be older than what you think....Always do the homework...mike
where would i start, any suggestions thanks, harold

Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

It's a neat barn, and there should be some great stuff there. The only problem I see is with all the trash metal you will have to go through. There will be hundreds of nails and small metal bit's and pieces. I hunted an old barn like that once. I couldn't put the coil to the soil without it screaming. Metal everywhere.

Good luck on the hunt.

Upvote 0

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007

Oh dear, you sure that place is stable? Looks like it could come crashing down on ya. Be careful.

Before anyone else says it - is the stable stable? ;D

Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Like I said hard to say,but I know out here in the rural country areas I've heard the old timers talk about these types of things.How they would use things over and over.Parts of it might be older then other parts.Just was easier to use other parts from other structures.Also the way it looks to be built might not really be that old.Cause places, from the more modern citys of the time, like rural country areas held on to the older traditions longer.Sorta still takes place in today times.Just takes time for newer ways of doing things to find it's way.Back then for sure. Sanborn maps,sometimes GIS maps can help,not sure what other kind for your area.Here I found lots of useful maps that can be brought up on the internet around the water areas.Shows old home sites and when they were there from 1850 on up.

Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Maybe i'm wrong about the age, but it seems you have different dated elements to this barn. The interior building is old style interlocking stout logs, probably once chinked and covered with boards. The overhangs are flimsy in comparison, with some of the uprights based on cement filled 20th century (or at the latest turn of the century) steel buckets.

As well, the outer hinges are of faily new (turn of century) design. But then you look at the upper story of the interior log structure and it appears to have once had windows (yet no floor for an upper story!) That makes no sense if there was always an overhang, and makes no sense for ventilation either (unless the logs were once chinked and boarded over (again suggesting anearlky dated decomposed structure built upon)

Cross beams thread here and there through the log structure with little in common with the structure other than they are just laying where ever they might be able to be fit through. I still think becaue of all these things it might be an older shell to a log structure (even a house) which was used as the nucleus of a latter day flimsily made barn.

Trader of treasure, check the nail head on the wood frame within the upper "windows". These should be original and might tell age if they prove to be forged rather than machine cut.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
traderoftreasures

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3

there is a floor for the second story. logs laid out. appears to have had the roof and over hangs put on way way later. i have seen some old square nails. i also see wooden pegs. logs are hand hewn. on the barn door all the hinges are homemade none are the same. same with the latches. the door is slightly newer with 1904 carved in it. the logs are notched just like the ones i've seen at new salem st. park. some of the beams in the top are solid one piece, the length of the barn.

Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

traderoftreasures, there is a second story floor on the original log portion? The fact that the older part is hand hewn says something, as you would think these would be either pitsawn cut or circular mill sawn if it were a later date. Obviously much of the rest of the structure is newer, as the exterior logs seem to be milled.

A couple things: first, you can get some more information by taking a good splinter off the oldest portion of the log structure and have the wood identified by species. Compare that wood species to exterior timbers. Even better, take spinters from various hewn logs to see also if the builder used all the same species (in other words, if it was abundant). If the splinters on the log portion match, and if structure was built at once, it would be unusual if all supporting timbers were not of the same species.

Also check the nails closely. This is not a very good link, as there are many subcategories of cut nails which give closer dates, (mercer has the best source, but I have to dig it out of my papers) but compare one of the older nails, such as the upstairs window frame nails, to the chart and maybe you can see at least if they are forged, cut, etc. http://frank.mtsu.edu/~histpres/services/naildating.htm

Upvote 0
OP
OP
traderoftreasures

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3

i think the nails appear to be hand wrought. i will retrieve some specimens tommorrow, for further inspection. there is a second story on the original log section. i will check but if i remember right most of all the logs are the same exept for a couple of floor replacements. mabye walnut i'll check. i also remember seeing a birds eye birch?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
traderoftreasures

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3

fresh picture update

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 235
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 235
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 235
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 241
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 240
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 237
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 235
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 234
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 225
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 225
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 226
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 224
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

traderoftreasures said:
4-H said:
where would i start, any suggestions thanks, harold
Maps, library, older people... There are Lot's of good information sources walking around outside your door!! :)
Be creative. Even old dairy's can be good.

Upvote 0

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
You are going to have fun at this place. The real treasure is the original very old structure preserved from the weather. Dig every single signal, clean out all the iron within 100 yards and let me help!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions