can anyone guess the age of this barn?...my new hunting site.... fresh !

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 541
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 523
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 539
Trader, the new pictures tell a whole lot more!

For one thing it seems the interrior of this inner structure may have been put together out of older salvaged timbers, which is evidenced in at least one empty mortise hole being in the "wrong" place; uprights being crudely joined where mortise and tenon would have been used earlier; cut outs on uprights that are out of place; etc..

As well it's clear now that this inner structure was never filled with chink but was meant to be open; making the outer part of the structure a necessity. In all it does seem that some of the other posters are right and this is a newer structure, but in this case one built out of older salvaged wood. Because of this, probably what dating that can be done regarding existing iron from the oldest timbers would not be conclusive of much.

Upvote 0
I love to see how those old buildings are put together. Rather inventive. I was out in SW Kansas pheasant hunting with my uncle back in the 1970s. We saw a huge structure on the horizon, way out in the middle of nowhere. We went to investigat and found a huge 3 story horse barn. It was circular and all the joints and braces were hand cut and some had wood pegs holding them together. It had about 30 stalls all in a circle on the ground level. The second level appeared to be some kind of storage and working areas and the very top floor was a huge hay loft. It did not appear to have been used for years, but it was still sturdy. I would have given anything to take some pictures but didn't have a camera with me. It's out on the plains between Dodge City and Garden City somewhere if a tornado hasn't taken it by now. Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back