Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you should post in the what is it forum lower on the main page .

When posting in "What Is It?", please give members the information they need to help identify your find:

1. Post sharp closeup photos of both the front and the back.

2. State the actual size of the item. Also, if possible, put something with it in the photo for scale: a common U.S. coin, a ruler, etc.

3. If there are any inscriptions which cannot be easily read in the photos, type them in full in your post.

4. If there are maker's marks, numbers, symbols, or other marks on the back which are not easily seen in the photo, post a closeup or a drawing of them.

5. Indicate the composition of the item. For example: "thin brass, filled with lead on the back."

• Do not deliberately withhold any information just to "have fun" seeing if members can guess correctly.

• Once your item has been identified, don't forget to mark it "Solved

Upvote 4

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks a little like the Doobloon from Goonies... But that material almost looks to be zinc makes me wonder if its not suppose to be a Spanish Replica

Upvote 1

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from HELP! over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum HELP! contains guides tutorials on how to use the new TreasureNet.com software.

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Its a military challenge coin. The 2nd photo looks like it's likely Air Force as I can see Control Sq. Can't make out enough detail to give you a positive ID on the unit.

Yeap USAF, weird as I've never seen one so roached, Hell my kids lost one in the yard and years later it still looked almost pristine. This must be one of the zinc-alloy ones versus the bronze ones.

Note: Challenge coins, aka coins aka aka RMO (Round Metallic Objects). We would refer to them as RMOs, as saying the word COIN in certain circles would infer you were calling a coin check. If everyone had their coins you'd end up buying a round of drinks for all that answered the challenge, that could and would get expensive. I'd always had spare coins in my different uniforms, on in my wallet, one in a pouch on my dog tag chain. I NEVER got caught without my RMO.

As you are seeing "Control Sq" it could be a Tactical Air Control Squadron or an Airborne Command and Control Squadron patch. I can't make out the design with the Eagle head on the other side.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The backside is bugging me I see an eagle looking around the corner of something then ??V. Just can't put a finger on a V ending acronym.
Looks like a building. Don't know if it's the World Trade Center towers. The V could be a Roman numeral symbol, maybe?

Upvote 1

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a building. Don't know if it's the World Trade Center towers. The V could be a Roman numeral symbol, maybe?

I thought it might be the WTC, but I dismissed it. After reading your post I went back and stared at the picture and I believe you are right on that.

If the OP can make out any more of the verbiage we might be able to attribute this to a specific unit. I cropped the OPs pictures for my use and seeing the images better. There appears to be wording above the building.

20230121_040301.jpg
20230121_040241.jpg

Upvote 1

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on the back it looks like it say ''COMMAND AND CONTROL'' I get Lots of google hits for the phrase.
on the front top I see "FO "

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe if the OP can tell the state this was found in, we possibly could narrow it down to a specific base/unit.

Problem with RMO's is just about every unit, squadron, base, command, etc has them made up. It's not like unit patches where they have to follow an USAF approved design.

So there are tons of RMO's that are made up for unit anniversaries, deployments, accomplishments, historic anniversaries, etc, the list is endless.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread