Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Chagy said:
SWR said:
Chagy said:
So how many pounds do you think this thing has? and as you can see, it is used to stretch a 4ft fence.

*similar - Related in appearance or nature; alike though not identical.

Well of course its not identical one is modern and the other is an antique.....now my question is...How many pounds do you think this modern fence stretcher has? you keep saying that it is not logical to use a 16 pound tool to stretch a 4 ft fence.

Just to show you how much can a tool can change with time....these are all drills, they are not Identical but they are drills, antiques and modern...... and I bet they dont weight the same.

Best,

Chagy...... still waiting

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 210
  • 40_1_b.jpg
    40_1_b.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 165
  • f9_1.jpg
    f9_1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 203
  • drill1.jpg
    drill1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 167
  • drill1.jpg
    drill1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 164
  • f9_1.jpg
    f9_1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 194
  • 40_1_b.jpg
    40_1_b.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 196
Upvote 0

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
SWR said:
Stop researching because something similar* has been found?

None has been able to produce a picture of the item in question. Sure, we have possibilities and probabilities. If you use common sense, (or horse sense) the item presented at the beginning of this thread is too large to use for a woven wire fence stretcher on a daily bases, or on a professional fence installer level.

If you want to use the eBay description as reference material, the seller said “We were also told this type of tool was commonly used by the railroads to move heavy loads and box cars from the 1880's to the 1940's.” and then went on to say “The width of the opening in the claw ends is 5/8" wide which would accommodate a huge sized chain.”

I think we would be more apt to find photographs of this device looking in Railroad or Timber archives, than fencing archives.

Good luck, Jim

*similar - Related in appearance or nature; alike though not identical.

OK lets use some horse sence, see timber or logging tools have sharptips, this thing does not have a sharp tip......and I never sais that this thing was at a professional installer level...this is probably the worst way to do it...Why? because its old.. those old drills dont look like the smart way to do it...but thats all they had...does it make any horse sence?

Best,

Chagy....

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 164
  • we.jpg
    we.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 161
  • s.gif
    s.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 175
  • indew.jpg
    indew.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 161
  • s.gif
    s.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 171
  • we.jpg
    we.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 165
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 167
  • indew.jpg
    indew.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 0

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
diving doc said:
Negative, after all the input, and I might add my first assumption was way off, I think it has tremendous pulling power. You have to pull low to get it to work because of the length of the lever. Boxcar jack, moving heavy loads till you can slide em out of the car. The use was mentioned in the Ebay description.
Doc

You know doc, you are right! Those uses were mentioned, so was another one...................oh yeah, a FENCE STRETCHER!!! :D :D :D

John

Upvote 0

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
SWR said:
Chagy said:
OK lets use some horse sence, see timber or logging tools have sharptips, this thing does not have a sharp tip......

I think we've moved on from this being a tool to handle timber. But, possibly a load binder to transport the logs.

and I never sais that this thing was at a professional installer level...

Then why continue to label this device as a "Fence Stretcher", when it is simply a chain come-along that could have been used (by some) to install fencing.

those old drills dont look like the smart way to do it...but thats all they had...does it make any horse sence?

That particular Brace drill you chose as an example (first picture) is still manufactured, and will out perform the cordless drill when it comes to drilling large holes. By the by...small ratcheting devices used by fence installers were available during the same time period as this chain come-along

I said its a fence stretcher, not a professional fence stretcher.....See there are professional tools and common tools....you can buy a regular hamer for 5.99 or a professional one for 49.99 you can also buy a drill for 29.99 or a professional one for 299.99.......

Well Ok!!! you have convinced me....it is not a fence stretcher....So WHAT IS IT? and dont tell me its for transporting the logs....its not sharp enough

Best,

Chagy

Upvote 0

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
diving doc said:
Come-along is a particular tool name, I looked it up. I think the Ebay multi-id was partly right. Common railroad tool left behind for the farmer to stretch fences with if he couldn't afford the right tool. You could put a hook on that thing and one man could pull an hold a rail in real tight to its neighbor till they could spike it. You could use this jack on anything you could put a chain to, only thing is, the only practical use is at your foot level because that's the only way you can swing six feet of handle.
If this takes 3/8 chain it can move very heavy loads, what size chain do you see on Chagy's and PBK's modern examples? What about their levers? 32-34"???

Go it
Doc

Now you are talking doc. This thing could have had a multitude of uses. Stretching, binding, clasping are just the one's that come to mind. My only beef about this whole deal is that no one has found an example of anything remotely close to the item in question other than Chagy. Is it a fence stretcher? I guess no one is 100% sure. Just would be nice to hear from the original poster huh? Sorry i'm in such a huff, need to have a cool one and relax I guess.

John

Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
SWR said:
diving doc said:
You could use this jack on anything you could put a chain to, only thing is, the only practical use is at your foot level because that's the only way you can swing six feet of handle.

Or, jacking a boxcar door open/close. I have found several references in Railroad archives about using a chain winch on stuck doors (they had to oil them, or they’d stick). Unfortunately, I have not been successful in finding photographs showing such.

I could see using such a device, with a six-foot handle, if that were necessary. ;)

I searched like heck too, many many railroad pages with no luck.
The closest I came was showing loggers sinching with chains the bottom three logs on each side of the train or truck, then piling the rest of the logs on top unchained.

SMiles
BDoo

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi: Fence tightner in an altenate use. ehhhe

A) Pull pole "X" with attached barb wire to the extreme right.

B) Place foot of the pole "X" into the loop that is tied to the bottom of the locking pole "Y"- as in position "A"..

C) Pull upper fence tightener "Z" to the extreme right, place lower end into the upper loop that is attached to the locking pole, as in "B".

D) Rotate upper end of the fence tensioner "Z" towards the locking pole "Y" until it lines up with the locking wire loop , lower loop unto the tensioning lever .

simple no?

A dual purpose unit.

I am afraid that you will not find a photograph of this, nor will it be advertised in E-Bay. snicker

Tropical Tramp

Attachments

• .jpgGate.jpg
    .jpgGate.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 178
Upvote 0
P

pidjammies1

That is a late 1800's to early 1900's log turner/dragger. You can put a roope through the thing on the top and hook it to a horse to drag the log.

Upvote 0

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
pidjammies1 said:
That is a late 1800's to early 1900's log turner/dragger. You can put a roope through the thing on the top and hook it to a horse to drag the log.

Tongs won't bite into a log. They are made to accept chain, or cable.

John

Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pidjammies1 said:

Sorry PidJ,

If that is so, wouldn't a six foot long handle get in the way while dragging it?

Here are what log turners look like. Modern ones the same as antiques.

Attachments

• logrite_logging_tools.jpg
    logrite_logging_tools.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 191
Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are what Timber Tongs look like. NOTHING like the object in question!

Mike

Attachments

• LSettingtongs1-s.jpg
    LSettingtongs1-s.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 144
  • lifting-tongs.jpg
    lifting-tongs.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 0

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Its a "nut cracker" ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• 79_1.jpg
    79_1.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 190
  • b6_1.jpg
    b6_1.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 181
Upvote 0

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
eBay sent this message to Chagy.
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.
Response to Question about Item -- Respond Now

eBay sent this message on behalf of an eBay member through My Messages. Responses sent using email will go to the eBay member directly and will include your email address.

Response from denny144
denny144( 2872)
Positive feedback: 99.9%
Registered on: www.ebay.com

Item: VINTAGE RAILROAD COME ALONG FENCE STRETCHER WINCH (190002276447)
This message was sent while the listing was active.
denny144 is the seller.

Hi Chagy, The information about it being used as a fence stretcher was provided by another eBay member who email us and told us it was even pictured in an old fence stretcher catalog that he had. We have been unable to locate an internet site that has more information at this time. Thank you for your interest. Denny & Barb Lyman denny144
Respond to this question

Responses in My Messages will not include your email address.

Thank you,
eBay

This is what the seller from E-Bay answered, when I asked him; how did he know it was a fence stretcher.

Best,

Chagy.......

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[=Chagy
Just to show you how much can a tool can change with time....these are all drills, they are not Identical but they are drills, antiques and modern...... and I bet they dont weight the same.
Best,
Chagy......

You forgot the most universal one, the old Bow drill.

Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[=diving doc . Exponentially it would not generate as much force with a handle less than three feet long. Did I cover everything?
Doc
Nope, the initial force generated would be expotentially related to the working conditions, length of time at work, , and salary plus side benefits.
Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions