diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing personal SWR,just sideline observations.BTW-your right,that picture is funny as heck.Might have to start calling you "Roy". ;D Very comical looking.
Yes,I was referring to "dirt" farming.Proud of it too.No- ebay sellers are wrong all the time,that's how you find the deals on there.Wrongly listed items.However in this case...
I believe a fence stretcher would be the appropriate listing.
BTW- I can cownt almos to a hunderd with out ussing mi tose.I's gots a 8th grade edumacation.Momma says im da smart won in da famli. ;) Talk at ya later! :)

Upvote 0

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
diggummup said:
Nothing personal SWR,just sideline observations.BTW-your right,that picture is funny as heck.Might have to start calling you "Roy". ;D Very comical looking.
Yes,I was referring to "dirt" farming.Proud of it too.No- ebay sellers are wrong all the time,that's how you find the deals on there.Wrongly listed items.However in this case...
I believe a fence stretcher would be the appropriate listing.
BTW- I can cownt almos to a hunderd with out ussing mi tose.I's gots a 8th grade edumacation.Momma says im da smart won in da famli. ;) Talk at ya later! :)

I don't know about where you guys are from, but here in Minnesota the majority of farmers are college educated. Ufda! :D :D :D

John

Upvote 0

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well with all due respect I have never been to a sheep farm nor I have ever stretch a fence, but I am great doing investigations, research and IDing items...its part of my job as a good THer and sometimes using logic can help out alot.
See tools used for logging have sharp tips...

Attachments

• stpeavey.jpg
    stpeavey.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 163
  • bentley.jpg
    bentley.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 157
  • light.jpg
    light.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 163
  • MillFavorite.jpg
    MillFavorite.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 154
  • Timberjack.jpg
    Timberjack.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 167
  • TimberCarrier.jpg
    TimberCarrier.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 161
Upvote 0

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Now lets look at our tool....do you get the idea....I am pretty sure I can crack a nut with this thing...so it must be a "nut cracker" ;D

Attachments

• SKIDDINGTONGS5.jpg
    SKIDDINGTONGS5.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 158
  • 13-48-6.gif
    13-48-6.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 174
  • SKIDDINGTONGS5.jpg
    SKIDDINGTONGS5.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 0

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
SWR said:
I still must have missed the link (or picture) of the particular item posted at the beginning of this thread in action. I am not talking about the umpteen pictures posted showing similar* implements.

Logical to use 32 pounds worth of come-alongs, with how many pounds of chains to tighten a four-foot tall wire fence? Makes ya wonder

*similar - Related in appearance or nature; alike though not identical.

So how many pounds do you think this thing has? and as you can see, it is used to stretch a 4ft fence.

Best,

Chagy.....

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 158
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 155
  • index.gif
    index.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 171
Upvote 0

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
SWR said:
Chagy said:
So how many pounds do you think this thing has? and as you can see, it is used to stretch a 4ft fence.

Well of course its not identical one is modern and the other is an antique.....now my question is...How many pounds do you think this modern fence stretcher has? you keep saying that it is not logical to use a 16 pound tool to stretch a 4 ft fence.

Just to show you how much can a tool can change with time....these are all drills, they are not Identical but they are drills, antiques and modern...... and I bet they dont weight the same.

Best,

Chagy......

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 202
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 146
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 40_1_b.jpg
    40_1_b.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 145
  • f9_1.jpg
    f9_1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 182
  • drill1.jpg
    drill1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 144
Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
diving doc said:
The only way I can conceive of this, our object, being used by one man is if he is standing above the tool with the load being taken at ground level. In this way he has enormous leverage and the pawls fall into place on the chain by force of gravity, a heavy load come-along. What do the rest of you think?
Doc
Good point... physics always applies!!

Multi-use tool I would think.

Barry Bonds, the home run slugger, chokes up on his bat more than most.
So it is possible, by simply gripping it down the handle for light loads.

Heavier loads, link cinching a chain would require full leverage.

Stever, Stever, Stever......... humph :(

BDoo

Upvote 0

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
diving doc said:
Chagy, the length of handle or lever. Old and new ones shown, the handles or levers are usually less than three feet long, a comfortable man's reach. The object has a six foot handle???? ??? ???

As a researcher you must have an open mind and look at all directions, the match we found dosent have a handle, what if the one found by Steve was been used for something else and they put a longer handle, how do you or anyone else know that is the original handle.......I bet you can use this thing to crack a nut or to get toilet paper rolls from the top shelf of the closet......I guess we will have to find a 90 year old photo of someone actually using this thing to stretch a fence.....

Best,

Chagy.........

Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on! You mean you never watched "Home Improvement?"

You are a guy. You mean that you have never overbuilt anything? Maybe it was an old guy, that needed more purchase. Maybe he was stretching too much fence in between supports. There are lots of reasons why someone would have put a longer handle on it. The fact is, THE REASON DOESN'T MATTER!

See, all you people tend to overthink these things. Compress it to the bare essentials! We have a known object (Chagy's modern one). EVERY COMPONENT of the unknown object (STEVEO's) is included in the known object! This in mind, "Ockham's Razor," "All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the best one."

Mike

Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WRONG!

Give it up. Your side lost a long time ago.

Unless you can show A (1) photograph that has a like object in it, being used for a purpose other than stretching a fence, you are done!

I'm tired of this, once again. Argue with yourself until you can find that one picture.

Mike

Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
diving doc said:
I didn't know there were sides, duh.
Thought everyone wanted to be the WINNER!
How about your 'side' showing a picture with reference that matches

EXACTLY?

Correct Doc!

There are NO "sides" here.
Everyone, keep it civil...really.

Just opinions because there is no conclusive proof
of what this exact item...Stever's, was used for.
But come on everyone, we will probably never know
exactly what this was used for. We have some really good
evidence that a very similar device was used as a fence stretcher.
But Stever's thing is slightly different, perhaps because Chagy's
and my eBay items that matched had no handle.
Logic tells you although, that you COULD stretch a fence or
pull tight a chain wrapped around just about anything
with this whether it had a 3 foot or 6 foot handle.
It's a come-a-long.

We should try to respect everyone's opinions on this... my two cents.

Chill and smiles,
BDoo

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIO Gentlemen: And you have been behaving like one, most of what has been proposed in here has been repeated various times.

I would like to ask one thing, who says that it was used to tighten a fence wire of only 4 ft?(not width heehe)

Down here they anchor the wire on the first post, stretch the wire out as long as they can handle it, tighten it, then go back stapling it to each post while it is under tension.

Why repeat on each post?

However, this necessitates one "large" lever to do this, hence---.

Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RealdeTayopa said:
=gollum
some of the fencing tools.
Mike

HI, I favor Sabers myself Gollum up, foils are too limited.

Tropical Tramp

I agree. Sabres are more to my liking as well. Foils are great for stabbibg, but their slashing leaves something to be desired, and they have ZERO cleaving ability!

Mike

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=diving doc why not use a horse instead of a boxcar jack?
Doc
As a matter of fact they do, if it is a one man operation. The horses are trained to hold against a load, i.e. cow or bull at the end of a line trying to pull away, so no problem with maintaining tension on the wire..

Tropical Tramp
gollum said:
RealdeTayopa said:
=gollum
some of the fencing tools.
Mike

HI, I favor Sabers myself Gollum up, foils are too limited.

Tropical Tramp

I agree. Sabres are more to my liking as well. Foils are great for stabbibg, but their slashing leaves something to be desired, and they have ZERO cleaving ability!

Mike

Upvote 0

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
SWR said:
Stop researching because something similar* has been found?

None has been able to produce a picture of the item in question. Sure, we have possibilities and probabilities. If you use common sense, (or horse sense) the item presented at the beginning of this thread is too large to use for a woven wire fence stretcher on a daily bases, or on a professional fence installer level.

If you want to use the eBay description as reference material, the seller said “We were also told this type of tool was commonly used by the railroads to move heavy loads and box cars from the 1880's to the 1940's.” and then went on to say “The width of the opening in the claw ends is 5/8" wide which would accommodate a huge sized chain.”

I think we would be more apt to find photographs of this device looking in Railroad or Timber archives, than fencing archives.

Good luck, Jim

If you are more apt to find photographs showing this thing looking in railroad or timber archives, then show them. Chagy has shown you an updated version of the item in question. It is listed as a fence stretcher, if it's not then prove it. Otherwise, what are you and doc talking about? I have said a couple of times that the thing could have been used for more than one purpose, but what kind of proof do any of you have that it wasn't some kind of fence stretcher? Again, farmers use overkill all the time. All you have to do is go into a shop and look at their tools.

John

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=gollum
Mike
Precisely gollum, they can stab and cut on thrust or return plus "hack, chop, hack" ugh.

Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
diving doc said:
Yep, makes sense to me. One man, one horse fence stretcher. Guess we could sell it on Ebay, right?

Doc

No offense doc, but what do you think it is? Just not a fence stretcher sounds pretty weak. I personally don't know for sure, but there has been absolutely NO evidence to suggest something different than what Chagy found. Are you just stirring the pot pilgrim?

John

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread