Can someone please explain what long range locators are and how they work?

OP
OP
B

BearMan

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm afraid I already bought the Harbor Freight metal detector though currently at the moment I'm not looking into finding hard core treasure just going out seeing what I can find (currently expecting to find stuff like soda can tabs and old nails) though I am looking into upgrading at a later date

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hearing about long range locators for a while but I cannot find information about what they actually do and how they do it. Can someone please explain this to me?

I've used long range locators, most invented had worked at some time or another, or they wouldn't have been invented and manufactured. It's another subject that can no longer be discussed, same as any Dowsing. The first person to chime in is a skeptic reciting wickapedia. Dowsing long range does work with or without a machine. When the time is right. Solar cycle 25 is just getting underway. As more cme's hit Earth, Dowsing power increases, Electronics enhance the signals again, people start dowsing again. Every 11 yrs. But not everyone agrees due to diffrent techniques. Long range means what it says.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoDeep, this is the Long Range Detecting forum, please do not attack posts that are posted here.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! I was with a dealer once and he was trying to get me to buy a long range detector. The slight breeze we had that day blew the thing all over the place. It was essentially useless. He had thought about taking it to a beach, but the beaches here are always breezy, so it would not work. You be better off renting or buying a ground penetrating radar unit, but they are expensive and probably not worth it.

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! I was with a dealer once and he was trying to get me to buy a long range detector. The slight breeze we had that day blew the thing all over the place. It was essentially useless. He had thought about taking it to a beach, but the beaches here are always breezy, so it would not work. You be better off renting or buying a ground penetrating radar unit, but they are expensive and probably not worth it.

I'm all for gpr, I would use it to confirm my Dowsed target. I will eventually buy a deep detector. When talking about lrl, only a Dowser can put you on a distant target. But metal detectors are cool too..

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hearing about long range locators for a while but I cannot find information about what they actually do and how they do it. Can someone please explain this to me?

I apologize if my first post came across as attacking and ran afoul of Tnet policy, that was not my intent. Let me rephrase and better parse my answer to only address your question and leave my snark and personal opinions about them out of it.

Most LRL devices claim to operate on a resonant frequency principle where the device is said to emit an electromagnetic signal, either through an antenna or a probe, that will respond to a specific substances such as gold, silver, diamonds, even paper money, and that the device will indicate the presence of such material by indicating a change in direction relative to the operator. Some operators claim to be able feel or sense these resonate frequencies and can feel the energy field.

Do they work? Those who build them and use them in the field believe they work and they are one of the tools in their detecting arsenal. Blind tests of them have shown no better then chance and the resonance principle invoked has not been shown to work in laboratories. Examination of the circuit boards in some of them have been found to have superfluous, non working or incomplete circuitry in them and the power output in them non sufficient to produce a signal capable of any significant distance and many lack any circuitry capable of receiving back and analyzing any signal sent out.

There are many articles on the internet about them and the science behind them if you wish to search and read further on them.

Personally, (and this now goes into opinion), you indicated you are a new detectorist having just purchased a Harbor Freight detector, I'd spend a lot of time looking at your surrounding towns and counties old newspaper achieves and at their online facebook pages (most counties historical museums and societies now have facebook pages where they post historical photos). You'll find where the people gathered for picnics, swimming and other activities and that's often where you'll find the treasure. Also, when the budget allows, i'd save up for a better detector. Several companies now offer entry level detectors for only a few hundred dollars that have more features then high end detectors did only a decade ago.

Good luck in your search!

Last edited:

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dowsing devices are designed to mimic an Elements frequency. Usually your looking for prescious metals and gems specifically. It's also a good thing all the nails, foil, lead, ect ect. get found also. I wish I had the patience to wait out a good find with a detector, but I don't.

lukdiver

Dec 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are just looking at experimenting with LRL with electronics it doesn't get any cheaper than this Frequency Generator. Comes from China in 2-3 weeks and simply wire up the output to some ground rods, fabricate a set of bent brass dousing rods and wire up a battery. All together way short of $100. Do some reading here on this forum for frequencies and have fun without falling for commercial units that are thousands. This is the Frequency Generator I'm working with now. Most of all, have fun.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264747886737?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are just looking at experimenting with LRL with electronics it doesn't get any cheaper than this Frequency Generator. Comes from China in 2-3 weeks and simply wire up the output to some ground rods, fabricate a set of bent brass dousing rods and wire up a battery. All together way short of $100. Do some reading here on this forum for frequencies and have fun without falling for commercial units that are thousands. This is the Frequency Generator I'm working with now. Most of all, have fun.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264747886737?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I agree. The hard part of learning the L-rods is to not influence them. It is essential that you quiet the mind in order to reach a Zen-like state.

Unfortunately whoever wrote that Wikipedia article is not a scientist. Almost certainly they attempted to use the rods and failed big time. And it's easier to blame the equipment rather than the user's problems. They make the generalization that ALL such devices are fraudulent. Well, ask me and I will say that article is the fraudulent one.

You can search through the posts here, I have a short video of a device I am working on. No L-rods needed. I call it the Contraption.

Last edited:

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use this signal generator, powered by a dc power pack, thanks to signal lines wiring suggestion.I've always preferred seeing my signal line or target by using L-rods, along with feeling it. Yes, rods aren't needed if you know what your doing, but to get to that point you might have to start with rods or something else. A friend of mine would use his noodle rod and pendulum to see the same signal my rods use. No Zen state for me. Just wait for dowsing power to be on. If waiting is Zen then I'm in. I've waited long enough.

Attachments

• 20210613_141340.jpg
    20210613_141340.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 138

ZombieKnot

Dec 25, 2022
Can you spell HOAX? HA HA HA HEE HEE HEE. The energy required to project an electomagnetic field 100 feet through air to detect an aluminum can 6 inches underground would require a backpack with 2,(yes 2) 1000 amp car batteries exciting a coil 3 feet in diameter. It would also KILL anyone with a PACEMAKER!
Please look into a GDI GeoExaminer3D ground resistance detector. Closest machine available today for what you want. Uses up to 20 some odd probes pushed into ground and reads resistance of objects in ground and lack of resistance of voids. Can detect about 8 feet deep depending on mineralization.
OR... a ground penetrating radar like the portable ones they use for cement detecting rebar and voids.
LRL stands for lost reality locater of physics. HAW HAW HAW.
Look up Hall Effect to understand physics of distance please.

Last edited:

lukdiver

Dec 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are the FG's we're working with. I just splice into the USB power cord and power with a 6v gell-cell battery. If assembling a whole kit, generator/battery/charger/rods you can do it with everything off eBay for $150 or so.

Last edited:

ZombieKnot

Dec 25, 2022
These are the FG's we're working with. I just splice into the USB power cord and power with a 6v gell-cell battery. If assembling a whole kit, generator/battery/charger/rods you can do it with everything off eBay for $150 or so.

CUTE pictures but can you show us ALL the treasures found with these.
Please show us the long distance finds and how far away each was detected from and how deep they were buried. Learned electric from my grand father, Cecil T. Hall, inventor and first patent holder of the CIRCLEOTRON(1942) that many audiophiles STILL plug their Head Phones into. The only frequencies that can be transmitted through air and then the ground for distance are MICROWAVES from a MAGNETRON(Litton corp., 1961) and will kill anyone they are pointed at. HOCUS POKUS ELECTROMOBIOUS technical terms to sell SNAKE OIL! Show Me The Money.
How many gold coins do you have to retire on ???. Have they paid for themselves 10+ times over with 12 inch finds like my TESORO on 9volt batteries? SMTM
Thanx 4 your service SeaBeeRon.

Last edited:

lukdiver

Dec 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CUTE pictures but can you show us ALL the treasures found with these.
Please show us the long distance finds and how far away each was detected from and how deep they were buried. Learned electric from my grand father, Cecil T. Hall, inventor and first patent holder of the CIRCLEOTRON(1942) that many audiophiles STILL plug their Head Phones into. The only frequencies that can be transmitted through air and then the ground for distance are MICROWAVES from a MAGNETRON(Litton corp., 1961) and will kill anyone they are pointed at. HOCUS POKUS ELECTROMOBIOUS technical terms to sell SNAKE OIL! Show Me The Money.
How many gold coins do you have to retire on ???. Have they paid for themselves 10+ times over with 12 inch finds like my TESORO on 9volt batteries? SMTM
We dive on wrecks in California and wave our tushies in front of Mr. Whitey for 'fun'. When you start pulling gold coins off wrecks give me some 'pointers'. Till then we'll find gold our way and I'll bet we've found more ounces than you.

ZombieKnot

Dec 25, 2022
We dive on wrecks in California and wave our tushies in front of Mr. Whitey for 'fun'. When you start pulling gold coins off wrecks give me some 'pointers'. Till then we'll find gold our way and I'll bet we've found more ounces than you.
Have worked to recover 10,000+ ounces with Placer Recovery Inc. from Ft. Lupton, Co. for over ten years. Was paid one and a half grams GOLD per hour from Dodge Brothers company that puts sluice boxes under gravel pit shaker decks and cleans carpets every day of the week. The company also runs a mine in Fairplay that started after i left...see Discovery Channel. Had 22 sluice boxes along front range when I was with them. Helped design shaker table they sell for $25,000. Metal detected beaches in florida when i lived there 8 years.
Ran Dr. Halls gold room in Dalahnega, Ga. every summer between classes at FT. Lewis, Durango and wont tell how much that operation recovered out of respect for dead. I charge $5,000/hour to design placer recovery systems for aggregate industry that can get 100% of gold that goes through sluices. Should I beat my chest now? My golds heavier than yours...really? Just here to read other peoples stories of treasure hunting; help strangers not waste time, and not interested in how much the ticket cost for some ego trip. Did you forget the pictures of treasures found with those cute machines? SMTM
PlacerMaster
You owe me a beer!

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please post by our rules and stop trying to one up each other.

This is The Long Range Locator forum.

ZombieKnot

Dec 25, 2022
I have answered BearMans original question to the best of my ability...without referring to Wikipedia.
I believe LRL is a joke and waste of peoples time and money. I wont come back to this thread. Hope i helped you BearMan.

lukdiver

Dec 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have worked to recover 10,000+ ounces with Placer Recovery Inc. from Ft. Lupton, Co. for over ten years. Was paid one and a half grams GOLD per hour from Dodge Brothers company that puts sluice boxes under gravel pit shaker decks and cleans carpets every day of the week. The company also runs a mine in Fairplay that started after i left...see Discovery Channel. Had 22 sluice boxes along front range when I was with them. Helped design shaker table they sell for $25,000. Metal detected beaches in florida when i lived there 8 years.
Ran Dr. Halls gold room in Dalahnega, Ga. every summer between classes at FT. Lewis, Durango and wont tell how much that operation recovered out of respect for dead. I charge $5,000/hour to design placer recovery systems for aggregate industry that can get 100% of gold that goes through sluices. Should I beat my chest now? My golds heavier than yours...really? Just here to read other peoples stories of treasure hunting; help strangers not waste time, and not interested in how much the ticket cost for some ego trip. Did you forget the pictures of treasures found with those cute machines? SMTM
PlacerMaster
You owe me a beer!
Sweet I love the Discovery Channel gold series. Much respect for the placer recovery as that's way hard work. Speaking of Dalahnega(sic?) reference one of the coins off that Gold Rush steamer was from that mint, you should have seen the look on the face of the dealer we delt with, pure joy. Yes I understand the animosity against LR locators as there are scams for sure, but at $150 self assembled its a cheap 'tool' in our bag. That's in addition to 'Mark One Eyeball', Geometrics G-836?(computer mag), 2 other mags and 3 u/w detectors. I don't care 'how' I find gold, as long as I find gold is the aim. Good luck on your gold chase.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one in the early 1980's, tried using it in the Arizona desert, wind blew it in everywhere. One day I took it apart, it had a bunch of wires and resistors to form a circuit that did absolutely nothing. I put it in the closet, years later ebay came into existence, I sold it in the early 2000's..

make some dowsing rods, they are cheaper and will do more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread