Can You Detect in Nombre De Dios , Panama?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I've heard of people detecting in Panama. Here's some examples:

Bocas del Toro, Panama - Friendly Metal Detecting Forums

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/other-countries/320389-republica-de-panama.html

(notice one guy only alludes to the govt. going to want any pre-columbian artifacts you may find. But not forbidding the actual finding of them, and CERTAINLY not anything to do with fumble-fingers tourist beach modern stuff. So I'm not sure why that particular city there, would be any different. You're talking about the tourist beaches that are right there, right in Nombre De Dios, right ? If so: detectors are a common site on tourist beaches all through Mexico, South America, Caribbean, etc....

If you're still worried: Is your city's laws/rules written somewhere for public viewing? If so, check them out. If nothing there says "no md'ing", then presto, it's not prohibited. Also if there's dealers down your way, they can let you know where their customers are using them. All the major manufacturers (Whites, Garret, Minelab, Fisher, etc...) have dealer listings. Just find out if there's any in Panama, or even neighboring countries who have sold to Panamanians.

Oh: And let's say that you found something dire sounding: Just make sure it's not something that only applies to shipwreck salvor stuff, or raiding pyramaids, etc... People have been known to ask bureaucrats/border layers/consulates a bunch of questions, and then being shown stuff like that. Yet in actual practice, have nothing to do with small-time hobbyist detecting. I mean, that would be like asking an archie in the USA, and being told "not allowed anywhere here", because perhaps he's thinking of Mel Fisher atocha legal hassles, or ARPA, etc..... So sometimes you need to read between the lines of what you are told, to make sure it's not something silly and not applicable like that.

originalpanama

May 1, 2009
i was detecting near nombre de dios looking sir francis drake treasure since 10 years and now i am prparing to go again you wanna go with me?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have information on this that may be helpful.

The thread is over two years old. He may have gone & returned by now. He was last on nearly two years ago, only had two posts, with this thread his last one.

So, I wouldn't expect that you will hear back from him.

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Drake,

I visit Panama on occasion and would like to collaborate with you.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Drake, I visit Panama on occasion and would like to collaborate with you.

Cool, maybe this dead thread might result in something nice after all! But I do urge caution in dealing with anyone - anyone at all. The best kept secrets are kept.

ayahuasca

Greenie
Dec 15, 2009
the Spanish Main
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab E-trac, Tesoro Sandshark, Pulse Star Pro 2, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, Does anyone know if we can detect in Nombre De Dios, Panama legally? If not, where in Panama can you detect? Thanks,

You can detect anywhere in Panama that you like, provided that you have the landowner's permission. What you cannot do legally, however, is dig up anything of historical value as it all belongs to the state - even the landowner is not allowed to dig historical stuff up.

I would caution anyone against detecting in Nombre de Dios because it is well known as a historical site, you cannot detect there without being seen, there is a police station literally in front of the historical site, you WILL be spotted and all the landowners and passers-by will know exactly what you are doing, and they may report you or worse.

In the past Nombre de Dios has seen more than its fair share of unauthorised detectorists and the locals and authorities have got wise to it.

PM me if you want any more info.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
You can detect anywhere in Panama that you like, provided that you have the landowner's permission. What you cannot do legally, however, is dig up anything of historical value as it all belongs to the state - even the landowner is not allowed to dig historical stuff up.....

Hmmm, interesting. Ok, so a person can detect anywhere he wants, on private land with permission , eh ? Not unlike England for example, where 99% of British hunters are doing private farmer land with permission.

And then you proceed to say "just not historical stuff" . Ok, I'll bite: When you are out there on farmer Bob's land, and your detector beeps, and you dig a target (which, as you say, is not in-&-of itself illegal). Then ..... who is standing there watching you , to determine whether it's "historical" ? Is there some age-limit cutoff ? Is someone standing their armed with a pocket calculator doing the math on the ages of coins ?

I have no doubt that if you waved enough archaeological treasures under the noses of purist archies there, that ... sure, someone would say "that belongs to the state" perhaps. But just REALISTICALLY speaking , for small time fumble fingers md'rs in-the-middle of nowhere on private land, .... Is there any practical application of this? So long as the md'r is not making a major nuisance bulls eye of himself ?

ayahuasca

Greenie
Dec 15, 2009
the Spanish Main
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab E-trac, Tesoro Sandshark, Pulse Star Pro 2, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, the practical application of this is using common sense and a healthy dose of caution. Nombre de Dios is not 'in the middle of nowhere'.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tom, the practical application of this is using common sense and a healthy dose of caution. Nombre de Dios is not 'in the middle of nowhere'.

Ok. Even in places that aren't "in the middle of nowhere" : Who is standing there, to watch each target you dig, to assess age ? Ie.: "historical value" vs "ho-hum object " ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread