• image-4015766946.jpg
    image-4015766946.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 115

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ditto to what Brian said, likely a mineral. But my first impression is hematite.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GranjaDeOro

GranjaDeOro

Aug 4, 2013
Falls Church Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I posted more pics of this specimen including a couple under a microscope and jewelers loop, on a different thread. Someone who seems to be an expert of sorts said this is silver mixed with other metals. Now im curious who may be right... :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GranjaDeOro

GranjaDeOro

Aug 4, 2013
Falls Church Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Originally Posted by GranjaDeOro Attachment 839821Attachment 839820OK I found some more interesting Ore minerals in quartz. This Quartz is from Carderock MD. Can anyone identify this? I will post pics from normal iphone, under jewelers loop and under microscope. Attachment 839803[/ATTACH]Attachment 839806Attachment 839807[/ATTACH]Attachment 839813Attachment 839815[/ATTACH] Attachment 839798Attachment 839799Attachment 839819 Natural Silver (with copper and tin and nickle) very rare in that state in sheets a rock shop would love it.. the "Silver" will have a ton of other metals in it but it is cleanable and shine able.. you may even find a high content of gold within the same area. keep busting em out and up! OO and #4 YUMMMMM i wana go dig it! lol Nice find m8!!#5 you can see the crysicolla in it look for the bright green!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GranjaDeOro

GranjaDeOro

Aug 4, 2013
Falls Church Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you want to see more photos and that response, its in (Hard Rock Mining). "Got a rock you want identified? ..."

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do a streak test, rub it against an unglazed piece of porcelain. What colour do you get?

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Google Galena images. It's easy to ID with a few things in mind;

Adamantine lustre - very "shiny" and bright mineral.
Cleavage - it breaks in a special kind of way.
Hardness - easily scratched with a knife.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GranjaDeOro

GranjaDeOro

Aug 4, 2013
Falls Church Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I tried scratching it and not much happened. I then dug the point of the knife into it, forcefully, and a bit broke off.

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried scratching it and not much happened. I then dug the point of the knife into it, forcefully, and a bit broke off.

Try to put up some better photos. I still think it might be galena. if forced by a tool it can break off into pieces, or blocky chunks. The white in the photo looks to be calcite. Galena and calcite are found together often. Galena doesn't always show cubes that are visible to the naked eye. Get better photos of the specimen and we will go from there

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to put up some better photos. I still think it might be galena. if forced by a tool it can break off into pieces, or blocky chunks. The white in the photo looks to be calcite. Galena and calcite are found together often. Galena doesn't always show cubes that are visible to the naked eye. Get better photos of the specimen and we will go from there

Ok I think what you have is sphalerite. Scratch it on a piece of unglazed tile, or the underside of your toilet top lid. Smell the powder of the streak. If it has a rotten egg smell or fowl smell then it's sphalerite.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread