Candlestick holder?

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello... I posted this pewter piece up in the "Today's Finds" forum and identified it as a bugle mouthpiece. Another forum member called me out on my identification and insists it's a "candlestick holder". So I thought I'd post it up here so others could take a look at it and give their opinions. Any ideas?

This is a picture of a bugle (or other similar instrument) mouthpiece and the pewter piece in question (on right).

P2100006.JPG

Another view...

P2100008.JPG

The mystery "piece" and a real pewter candlestick holder from my table

P2100009.JPG

Another view..
P2100013.JPG

Standard size candle with mystery "piece"...

P2100011.JPG

Civil War candlestick holder found by me with mystery "piece"...
P2100015.JPG

Another view...
P2100014.JPG

Please note that the hole that goes all the way through the mystery "piece" and it's very shallow cup depth. It's only 7/16th of an inch deep and highly tapered. It would not hold up a candle without glue. So... is it a candlestick holder?

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont believe it is a candle stick holder. I think you had it right the first time.

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I ,too, think it is part of a small bore mouthpiece, used for hitting the higher notes! That's a cool find!

Upvote 0

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am going to go with it not being a mouth piece. I think the hole is too small. And I don't like the looks of the medal. Looks almost like pot metal.

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking from that angle I digress...maybe it is.My apologies

Upvote 0
OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to go with it not being a mouth piece. I think the hole is too small. And I don't like the looks of the medal. Looks almost like pot metal.

Here is a picture of it with two others I have found on end. The hole is about the same size. They were made in pewter, but I have never actually seen one.

P2100002-001.JPG

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe this might be a start by getting the bore? I can not find any pewter ones.

mouthpiece-diagram250w-neg234.jpg

Upvote 0

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it sure looks like a mouth piece to me and my wife
HH

Upvote 0

bigchuck52

Feb 10, 2013
Toms River NJ
Detector(s) used
Cinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I read this right you found all three in the same area? If so, then investigate what was there prior and that may give a clue as to what it was. My guess would be something used to transfer a fluid or a gas to the other end.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's a candle stick holder; the rim is not thick enough to be a mouthpiece. Neat find :) Breezie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone provide to me a picture of a candlestick holder that looks like my piece (or this picture) to include a highly tapered cup (to hold or not hold the candle) and a bore that goes all the way through? BTW (bigchuck 52) my 3 pieces were not found together, they were found in different CW camps over a 30 year period. And thanks Tnmountains, I have found mention of pewter mouthpieces, but no pictures either.

QUOTE=Tnmountains;3161212]Maybe this might be a start by getting the bore? I can not find any pewter ones.

View attachment 739235 [/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the pewter mouthpieces may be more closely associated with horns rather than with bugles and trumpets.

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A.C.,I wish I was more organized I would show you several I have found that are the reason I made my comment....which I never said I was positive thats what it was.....my pieces were tapped (like your example)and the "mouth",part or "bowl",would have been the base,with a rod through the hole holding the rest of the stick...again I guess I was wrong,wasnt the first time and likely wont be the last

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread