What's new

CaneField Bandits: Double SPANISH Hunt Today!

BuckleBoy

Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
18,159
Reaction score
9,723
Golden Thread
4
Location
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,


Just when I thought I'd seen it all with the double helping of 1840s, Orleans Mint Seated Liberty Goodness last hunt, we moved our game to the next level--and half a century earlier--this week with a double Spanish Silver day! :hello2:

First off, let's get everyone in the mood with a soundtrack for you to listen to while you read this post, and then I'll tell ya a story. 8)







I met up with Shanegalang and we got on the muddy mucky canefields this morning at Dawn. Stopped by and said hello to Old Bernard Bonnier and he came along with us as our mascot on our hunt. We had noticed some signs of a few other houses on the massive property during our earlier hunts, and decided to go and check one of them out. The amount of brick was intense for this one, to the point that we thought it might've once been an old Sugar Mill. It was almost as if a brick bomb had dropped from the sky and exploded all over the field.

We got to work.

Immediately, we started digging flat button after flat button.

1.webp

I got a nice tombac, and found a piece of a Civil War sword belt rig. Shane dug a WWI era great seal button. But to be honest, these were the only post-1850s finds made today. I dug a piece of a solid silver spoon bowl (scalloped shell design where it meets the spoon bowl). Shane dug a nice cast pewter domed button with a fat shank on it. :thumbsup:

As the clouds overtook the skies we started getting hungry, so we decided to take a little break and grab some file gumbo. ;D We kept getting more and more hungry, and dragging our feet on that break... Well, right before our lunch I got a call from Hill Billy asking what I was doing. "What do you think I'm doing?" I asked right back. :laughing7: He then told me to get off the phone and get hunting so Shane didn't skunk me.

I turned the next row, and got a shallow double-beep signal right on top. I dug a little little baby scoop out of the muck and and saw a flash of something shiny! I immediately got down on my knees to take a photo of the little beauty. I knew it had to be either a 3c silver or Spanish. And when I saw how worn it was, I knew it had to be a Spanish Half Real.

2.webp

Old Bill Hilly must have called me with the good mojo, because my last Spanish was dug the year I met him. Since then, he has managed to hoover them all up--from Half Reales to One Reales, and even FOUR Big 8's. ::) I had to move 750 miles away to dig one again. :D

After the excitement and celebration, we decided it would be a good time to break for Gumbo.

When we returned to our new favorite field, Shane was on a mission. He dug a trigger guard piece, two padlock keyhole covers, and a nice Colonial Shoe Buckle Piece. :whip2:

Then in an instant, he looked at me and said "I found something the same as what you found!" My gears started turning, probably looking at him with a blank expression thinking "Bullet?" "Button?" Did he find a sabre belt rig piece? He looked at me and clarified things: "COIN!" :D
At that point, I decided to run over. It was a SECOND Half Real!!! :headbang:

3.webp

We hit it a bit longer, all the while watching the weather radar as the storm clouds moved in, and the cold rain spat at us off and on. (Translation for the Northerners on the Forum: "Cold" rain is 60 degree rain when it is almost 80 outside. Brrrrr! :D) Right after I snapped this photo, the rain moved in and poured buckets on us, ending the hunt.

4.webp




FINDS PHOTOS BELOW:
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
And here are the finds. ;D The beautiful pottery continued this trip. Here are Shane's pottery finds:


A.webp


And mine. (I'm really pleased with the FANCY piece in the top center). Note the two Colonial Era Clay Pipe Stems. :thumbsup:


B.webp


And what would we do without some GawGag? :laughing7: I'm gonna post it, whether or not you want to see it. Melted, splashed, and hammered-out-thin lead bits...pack studs...etc.


C.webp


Shane's keepers. Trigger guard piece in the middle. Shoe buckle piece to the left of it. Old-as-hell iron key. Buttons. Spanish. 8) Can anyone ID the big piece of brass?


D.webp


E.webp


Shane's WWI Great Seal


F.webp


My finds, including the CW sword belt stud, solid silver spoon piece, and Spanish. ;D


G.webp


And my Spanish. Worn, but OLD. Mine is an 1806 Carolus IIII.


H.webp


Shane really found an excellent coin. His 1807 beats mine on condition hands down:


I.webp


J.webp


Now, we've found two Spanish, two 1840s Seateds, a Shield Nickel, and two V Nickels on this massive property. Now I'm not one to complain about finding 200 year old silver...but did none of the folk here ever carry anything smaller than five cents? There is a LC or better out here somewhere. But another Spanish or military button wouldn't be bad either. :wink:



Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,


The CaneField Bandits :headbang:
 
Wish I had a field like that to hunt. Love the old silver!
 
Love the music! Great hunt too! I hate those darn pack studs, they always sound so sweet..
 
I knew when I heard your voice on the phone this morning with it raining in here in Tennessee that somebody had found something VERY good. Your first Spanish Silver since 2007 and you were very excited and should have been. Then, when I heard your voice about lunchtime and heard Shane yelling "AIEE" in the background I knew HE had dug something good too. What is the statistical probability of 2 hunters digging the same denomination of Spanish coins far apart in the same field and only one year apart?
Excellent finds and I hope HB calls me and Dman when we hunt with tennessee digger this week-LOl. Congrats on finding some scarce coins and your first sword belt stud, Q.
 

Attachments

  • Crouch\'s Relic Book (2).webp
    Crouch\'s Relic Book (2).webp
    46.4 KB · Views: 2,420
:icon_thumleft: Good music, good finds, good food, you can't beat that.
 
Awesome hunt.
 
Great stuff,I knew I smelt some old silver on them sites you guy's are in. :wink: Looks good man, you guy's stay with it. :headbang:
Best To Ya,
&
Continue On.......
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
 
Good eye Quindy!!

Big congrats B.B.!!!I knew once ya got back in the saddle you would pick up right where ya left off!!! :thumbsup:
 
Where do I start?? FOUR silvers in two months, what, eight hunts? Maybe six? ALL 1842 and before. I know now what referring to a 1920s site as NEW feels like ;D A big thanks goes out to Bernard and Will I thank you for all that you share with me about everything from research, hunting techniques, detector settings and moral standards that keep this hobby available for everyone. Oh and the finds cleaning advice. I wouldnt be finding this stuff without your help. I'm already getting fired up for the next bandit run!! :headbang: Until next time.............take 2 of the six nugget special and gimme four! I'm watching my calorie intake ;D Happy Hunting all........Shanegalang
Heres a picture of my display case that I pickjed up at a flea market last week end for 25 bucks!! Everything in it has come from the fields we are hunting. :hello2:
 

Attachments

  • 100_4914.webp
    100_4914.webp
    53.6 KB · Views: 2,236
Congrats on your VERY productive hunt, guys!! BB, I remember look on your face when you pulled that Reale out in 2008, and I'm sure this time it was just the same. That unforgettable feeling with the adrenaline pumping through your blood. What a rush!! Congrats again, and best wishes for more early silver to come your way!!
 
VOL1266-X said:
I knew when I heard your voice on the phone this morning with it raining in here in Tennessee that somebody had found something VERY good. Your first Spanish Silver since 2007 and you were very excited and should have been. Then, when I heard your voice about lunchtime and heard Shane yelling "AIEE" in the background I knew HE had dug something good too. What is the statistical probability of 2 hunters digging the same denomination of Spanish coins far apart in the same field and only one year apart?
Excellent finds and I hope HB calls me and Dman when we hunt with tennessee digger this week-LOl. Congrats on finding some scarce coins and your first sword belt stud, Q.

Yep, I think you would have a blast hunting down here with us. Keep me posted if you'd like to make the trip some time. You have been a good friend for many years now. Thanks for the moral support when we weren't finding, and the good posts of relics to keep my spirits up. HB should have your number now. Hopefully he will be in touch. He's one of the best--and he is a GREAT personality to hunt with.

kuger said:
Good eye Quindy!!

Big congrats B.B.!!!I knew once ya got back in the saddle you would pick up right where ya left off!!! :thumbsup:

It's been a while to get to this point here. I had to have a massive amount of extra time to research a new area. Time to drive and explore/meet owners. Time to even detect on top of the research time. And I needed a good huntin' buddy. Now everything is working out. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your reply, my friend.

Best Wishes,

Buck
 
The cane bandits got it goin' on :D Congrats on the reales . can't wait to see what your seafood gumbo looks like :P Mmm 8) dawg
 
Awesome finds, good tunes and that gumbo looks to die for....what a day! :icon_thumleft:
 
Don't you guys ever get tired of walking all of those fields and finding all that good stuff?

That spot sounds to hot.

Congrats on the finds.
 
Well you know I'm still looking & you guys get 2 in 1 hunt :headbang:

'but did none of the folk here ever carry anything smaller than five cents?'

Turn that on it's head & think bigger :laughing9:
 
Nice hunt - Nice finds :icon_thumright:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom