What's new

CaneField Bandits: Double SPANISH Hunt Today!

BuckleBoy

Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
18,159
Reaction score
9,723
Golden Thread
4
Location
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,


Just when I thought I'd seen it all with the double helping of 1840s, Orleans Mint Seated Liberty Goodness last hunt, we moved our game to the next level--and half a century earlier--this week with a double Spanish Silver day! :hello2:

First off, let's get everyone in the mood with a soundtrack for you to listen to while you read this post, and then I'll tell ya a story. 8)







I met up with Shanegalang and we got on the muddy mucky canefields this morning at Dawn. Stopped by and said hello to Old Bernard Bonnier and he came along with us as our mascot on our hunt. We had noticed some signs of a few other houses on the massive property during our earlier hunts, and decided to go and check one of them out. The amount of brick was intense for this one, to the point that we thought it might've once been an old Sugar Mill. It was almost as if a brick bomb had dropped from the sky and exploded all over the field.

We got to work.

Immediately, we started digging flat button after flat button.

1.webp

I got a nice tombac, and found a piece of a Civil War sword belt rig. Shane dug a WWI era great seal button. But to be honest, these were the only post-1850s finds made today. I dug a piece of a solid silver spoon bowl (scalloped shell design where it meets the spoon bowl). Shane dug a nice cast pewter domed button with a fat shank on it. :thumbsup:

As the clouds overtook the skies we started getting hungry, so we decided to take a little break and grab some file gumbo. ;D We kept getting more and more hungry, and dragging our feet on that break... Well, right before our lunch I got a call from Hill Billy asking what I was doing. "What do you think I'm doing?" I asked right back. :laughing7: He then told me to get off the phone and get hunting so Shane didn't skunk me.

I turned the next row, and got a shallow double-beep signal right on top. I dug a little little baby scoop out of the muck and and saw a flash of something shiny! I immediately got down on my knees to take a photo of the little beauty. I knew it had to be either a 3c silver or Spanish. And when I saw how worn it was, I knew it had to be a Spanish Half Real.

2.webp

Old Bill Hilly must have called me with the good mojo, because my last Spanish was dug the year I met him. Since then, he has managed to hoover them all up--from Half Reales to One Reales, and even FOUR Big 8's. ::) I had to move 750 miles away to dig one again. :D

After the excitement and celebration, we decided it would be a good time to break for Gumbo.

When we returned to our new favorite field, Shane was on a mission. He dug a trigger guard piece, two padlock keyhole covers, and a nice Colonial Shoe Buckle Piece. :whip2:

Then in an instant, he looked at me and said "I found something the same as what you found!" My gears started turning, probably looking at him with a blank expression thinking "Bullet?" "Button?" Did he find a sabre belt rig piece? He looked at me and clarified things: "COIN!" :D
At that point, I decided to run over. It was a SECOND Half Real!!! :headbang:

3.webp

We hit it a bit longer, all the while watching the weather radar as the storm clouds moved in, and the cold rain spat at us off and on. (Translation for the Northerners on the Forum: "Cold" rain is 60 degree rain when it is almost 80 outside. Brrrrr! :D) Right after I snapped this photo, the rain moved in and poured buckets on us, ending the hunt.

4.webp




FINDS PHOTOS BELOW:
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Will, glad to see you adapt to the LA hunting grounds and getting finds now to keep your appetite for detecting going full throttle. Sure is nice when both hunters get a Spanish coin on the same hunt! Nice variety of finds, and I guess from what I see in your posts, you might be the southern version of the Iron Brigade but more now like a pottery shards brigrade! ;D

Don
 
Don't kick it!!!!!!!!!! Those pottery shards are truly BOOTAFUL!!!!!

Canoe :cat:
 
nice reale and pics ....congrats ! :hello2:
 
Very Nice Will, double Spanish equals a great day !
 
The Cane Field Bandits are on a Colonial streak. That is the way you do it. I am impressed with your quality of LA finds, Buck. The pottery is killer. I know you will be digging a Spanish button soon.

Kirk :hello2:
 
Killer finds :headbang:


Good times :thumbsup:




Blaze
 
Dont think I have not been keeping an eye on you. Well done! I just got back from Chicago on official business. I do mean ON business.

KFB
 
kindafoundabuckle said:
Dont think I have not been keeping an eye on you. Well done! I just got back from Chicago on official business. I do mean ON business.

KFB

You are an endangered species on TreasureNet these days. We gotta catch up. Expect a call. :thumbsup:
 
BuckleBoy said:
kindafoundabuckle said:
Dont think I have not been keeping an eye on you. Well done! I just got back from Chicago on official business. I do mean ON business.

KFB

You are an endangered species on TreasureNet these days. We gotta catch up. Expect a call. :thumbsup:

I still look to see if you are still using the skills I showed you ;D Happy to see you all are doing well down there. I'm to the point where my right arm is becoming useless from the bone spurs again just like 5 years ago or however long that has been. I do miss it.........smoking you out in the field that is. Spanish silver in the middle of a park! Still can't get over that one. The look on your face as they say, 1 detector 750 dollars, gas to the park 5 dollars, 2 jamocha shakes 4 dollars, the look on your face when I got Spanish silver in the most hunted park in the city.........just insane!!!!!!! Good times Will. I will never ever forget them. I hate knowing my run in this hobby is over. I got a couple of good pieces over the years so it's alright. Never found that KGC gold or elusive luggage tag. Everybody take care and keep it coming out of the ground for uncle Tom. I feel like I'm with you when reading about your hunts.

KFB
 
kindafoundabuckle said:
BuckleBoy said:
kindafoundabuckle said:
Dont think I have not been keeping an eye on you. Well done! I just got back from Chicago on official business. I do mean ON business.

KFB

You are an endangered species on TreasureNet these days. We gotta catch up. Expect a call. :thumbsup:

I still look to see if you are still using the skills I showed you ;D Happy to see you all are doing well down there. I'm to the point where my right arm is becoming useless from the bone spurs again just like 5 years ago or however long that has been. I do miss it.........smoking you out in the field that is. Spanish silver in the middle of a park! Still can't get over that one. The look on your face as they say, 1 detector 750 dollars, gas to the park 5 dollars, 2 jamocha shakes 4 dollars, the look on your face when I got Spanish silver in the most hunted park in the city.........just insane!!!!!!! Good times Will. I will never ever forget them. I hate knowing my run in this hobby is over. I got a couple of good pieces over the years so it's alright. Never found that KGC gold or elusive luggage tag. Everybody take care and keep it coming out of the ground for uncle Tom. I feel like I'm with you when reading about your hunts.

KFB

Man, you know if we hadn't met, there would be a lot of relics still in the ground. It really got me fired up about the hobby again. Yeah, that spanish was crazy. You with the purple people eater coil. :laughing9: That's what did it to your arm was trying to swing that trash can lid around.

I will call soon.

-BB
 
Nicely done and a good read as well. Double spanish should be scrolling across the top....

Jamie
 
Ohhhhhh booooy! Buckleboy's back to hunting farm country!

Awesome double Spaniards, Buck! I haven't been viewing Tnet much at all for the past year. However, Kirk has been telling me what "The Bandits" in LA are finding and I couldn't resist the urge to check them out! No doubt an early site you guys are working there!

Killer Louisiana field finds! :headbang:

Kyle
 
WOW you guys! what a freakin spot! sweet stuff right there! :thumbsup:
 
BB,nice button cleaning article by the way in W&E treasures. :headbang:
 
You got to go into the middle of nowhere to find your Spanish silver ? Why don't you just go to a public park like I did ? :headbang: good times !

KFB
 
kindafoundabuckle said:
You got to go into the middle of nowhere to find your Spanish silver ? Why don't you just go to a public park like I did ? :headbang: good times !

KFB

I don't have the balls to dig something that old in a public park. :D But then again, I'm also to fashion conscious to swing a three-foot diameter PURPLE searchcoil. :laughing7:

:whip2:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom