What's new

Cannon fuse??

marbles57

Tenderfoot
Joined
Feb 23, 2011
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
NW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA1000 & Garrett Ace 350
Had such good luck with the wagon staple/hoof pick I drug some of my other things out.
This was found at an old Fort in the Tx panhandle. I was told that it was a cannon fuse. It's about 2 1/2" long, the side piece is 3/8". It is maybe 3/16" in dia.
If it is a cannon fuse how did it work? Thanks

 

Attachments

  • cannon fuse.webp
    cannon fuse.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 309
It's a primer for the cannon. It's what shoots off that bad boy. And a pretty neat find.
 
Upvote 0
marbles57 said:
Had such good luck with the wagon staple/hoof pick I drug some of my other things out.
This was found at an old Fort in the Tx panhandle. I was told that it was a cannon fuse. It's about 2 1/2" long, the side piece is 3/8". It is maybe 3/16" in dia.
If it is a cannon fuse how did it work? Thanks


Not so much for the picture (although yours resembles part of this one) but more for how it worked :

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=212597552#PIC
 
Upvote 0
Thanks duggap & kenosha

pretty sure it's not navel. I found this where the flagpole stood. Other people who have hunted this Fort said they use to be laying everywhere.
 
Upvote 0
Marbles57, the civil war cannoneers called your item a friction primer. It is not considered a fuze. Your specimen still has its pull-wire, so you found an un-used one. (The wire is gone after the primer gets used.) As you'd guess, unused (a.k.a. "unfired") friction primers are much scarcer than used ones. Congratulations!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom