What's new

Cannonball Button ID needed (new pics) solved

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cheers, Check this button out. It was dug in the "old neck of the woods" of NC. Pretty nifty huh? Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • DSC00006.webp
    DSC00006.webp
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,032
  • DSC00008.webp
    DSC00008.webp
    144.3 KB · Views: 1,002
  • DSC00009.webp
    DSC00009.webp
    87.5 KB · Views: 990
  • DSC00008.webp
    DSC00008.webp
    6.8 KB · Views: 900
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please

Grapes :wink:

grape button.webp

Mike
 
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please

Is there lettering on the spheres or is it just part of a design I am seeing?

Very cool button by the way! Nice find!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please

There is a site that talks about a Spanish Artilleryman's cuff button - with a crown, crossed cannon and stack of cannon balls
(On the left, 3rd button down)

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/battleshipmaine/museum.html

My guess is that this piece is stacked cannon balls (button or cuff button)
 
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please

Nice button, very old. I don't which "Old Neck" you found it in but you do know that Desoto traveled through South Carolina and parts of North Carolina. Tony
 
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please

This has no military conotation... IMO.

It's a decorative/fashion civilian button... cresent moon, beams, cannonballs?

Can't find one like it of course..
 
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please

We need a better pic of the back mark. Pic only shows cannon ball or grape.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please

Maybe clean the back a little? It looks like other area's of back may also have markings.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please

A curious button, Mike. I cant help you. It reminds me of the Pakistani flag or Turkey. pakistan.webp I wonder if there is a connection with pre-1947 Pakistan or British Colonial rule? ..very wild guess
....or any connection with the crescent of Islam? It does look like cannonballs. :dontknow:

This is the only Crescent button I could find so far. button crescent moon.webp
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • flag South Carolina.gif
    flag South Carolina.gif
    4 KB · Views: 855
  • flag liberty.webp
    flag liberty.webp
    974 bytes · Views: 812
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please

I thought of a rising or setting sun intead of a "cresent".
 
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please

The rays make it look like a sun, but I see a crescent shape and I think the connection with Carolina cannot be ignored.

Clues:

1- a crescent shape (worn by Carolina troops during the American Revolution and on the state flag)
2- found in North Carolina
3- cannonballs or grapes
4- sun rays or sun rising
 
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please

BTW - those are not backmarks, they are marks left from the mold IMO.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please

Wow, you are absolutely correct Jim. after your post I cleaned it a bit and checked it under the loupe. Good eye! But, Now I see another mark lol. Here are a couple pics
 

Attachments

  • DSC00007.webp
    DSC00007.webp
    33.1 KB · Views: 839
  • DSC00008.webp
    DSC00008.webp
    22.5 KB · Views: 422
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please

Montana Jim said:
This has no military conotation... IMO.

It's a decorative/fashion civilian button... cresent moon, beams, cannonballs?

Can't find one like it of course..
You are probably right on the decorative/fashion civilian button, but I think its possible to have a connection with the Carolinas. The crescent and balls may have a meaning. Are there numbers on them?

Here is a stack of 10 cannonballs on an Artillery button. Im still searching for cannonballs and crescent on the same button.
 

Attachments

  • button artillery rev war.webp
    button artillery rev war.webp
    25.2 KB · Views: 748
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please (new pics)

Based on those types of mold marks and the visible seam, I would have to say "modern".
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom