What's new

Cannonball Button ID needed (new pics) solved

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cheers, Check this button out. It was dug in the "old neck of the woods" of NC. Pretty nifty huh? Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • DSC00006.webp
    DSC00006.webp
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,032
  • DSC00008.webp
    DSC00008.webp
    144.3 KB · Views: 1,002
  • DSC00009.webp
    DSC00009.webp
    87.5 KB · Views: 990
  • DSC00008.webp
    DSC00008.webp
    6.8 KB · Views: 900
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please (new pics)

Before you call it a day...

When I look at those (cannon?) balls I see a design or mark that is a little different on the top of each one... is there anything to that? Maybe I'm just more blind than I thought.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please (new pics)

4-H said:
Ok, enough then. we will call it solved.
I was hoping I was on to something with the Carolina Crescent. Maybe its coincidence that you found it in the Carolinas but I just feel it may have some meaning. I dont think its solved and I would save it. The mold marks do look TOC or after. :( Maybe its pacman. :wink: It looks kinda cool and it must mean something. :dontknow: How old are the other finds?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please (new pics)

Carolinas history is full of this crescent. I cant help but feel a connection. What does everyone else think? Am I crazy?

http://home.freeuk.com/gazkhan/blank_state.htm

"The crescent moon, like the single star, was a symbol popular in the South, especially in South Carolina and Louisiana."
 

Attachments

  • flags_SC artillery Marion.gif
    flags_SC artillery Marion.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 629
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please (new pics)

I think it's a Banner button :icon_king: So we need an ID :hello2:

Is it a pewter or copper button? What does the pattern along ridge of button represents? Any writting or stars?

Based position or shank can you figure the 2 possible ways for button to have been displayed.

I see the SC crescent moon connection. If the back mark is Japanese I would be guessing rising sun with rays over stack of cannonballs.

Any cadet schools with crescent moon symbol?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please (new pics)

IronSpike said:
I see the SC crescent moon connection. If the back mark is Japanese I would be guessing rising sun with rays over stack of cannonballs.

Any cadet schools with crescent moon symbol?
I think he was joking about the Japanese symbols. They do look like TOC or later mold markings but I cant say for sure... It appears to be a one piece button.

Do you really see a rising sun? Is it rising over a rounded hill? :icon_scratch:

4H Mike, is it brass or pot metal? I seem to recall these mold markings on pot metal junk.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please (new pics)

I'm stumped guys. I lightly struck it along some white paper and it left a streak. so, Pewter?? I've sent this one to American Digger so, lets see if they know it...mike
 
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please (new pics)

4-H said:
I'm stumped guys. I lightly struck it along some white paper and it left a streak. so, Pewter?? I've sent this one to American Digger so, lets see if they know it...mike
I originally thought it was brass. Even though Im hoping for something old, maybe its just modern pot metal. It seems i have seen those mold marks before and I will try to find them.

Whatever it is i think its interesting and represents something.
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • rations Chow_Vietnam68.webp
    rations Chow_Vietnam68.webp
    19.2 KB · Views: 550
  • Ration_10in1 subsistence.gif
    Ration_10in1 subsistence.gif
    115.5 KB · Views: 581
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • button police staff.webp
    button police staff.webp
    6.8 KB · Views: 524
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please (new pics)

Yeah. I had kind of high lopes for finding something associated with a Louisiana artillery unit, but nothing. I hope it gets solved. I realized it obsessive when I started searching for "crescent" and "coconuts" together.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please (new pics)

Ive decided to give up for now. Sometimes the leads dont go anywhere. Its probably 20th century civilian.

I did look through some containers of junk finds and I have located the same round mold marks on a piece of lead from a 1950's era home. I have seen the square marks too but cant find an example right now. They are not Chinese letters.
 

Attachments

  • MVC-028S.webp
    MVC-028S.webp
    25.7 KB · Views: 512
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please (new pics)

I agree that it's unlikely Chinese symbols on the back. Just happened to spot those after 4-H Mike posted pic of cleaned back. I do think the button is military related. IMO it would be an odd motive to have cannonballs on a civilian button :dontknow:

One mans trash is absolutely right that this button search is very challenging.

A few more military related crescent moons on this link, but no match:

http://www.military-graphics.com/civilwarcorps.html
 
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please (new pics)

4-H said:
Considering where it was dug I find it hard to believe it's too modern but, hey! Things fall from airplanes. lol Thanks for the diligence though. You guys are the best.
At first I thought it was very old possibly military but the mold markings make me think different. When I say modern, I mean post 1900. Maybe a farmer. But I dont really know.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please (new pics)

American Digger Magazine:


Butch & Mike,

This button threw me for a loop & I'm still not sure of the ID. I sent it to one of our button gurus, Bob Spratley. Bob forwarded it to some of his contacts & sent me the attached note & sketch. This may not be the ID for this button, but I believe that it is on the trail to an ID.

Take care,
Charlie Harris

Charlie,
I do not have any reference to this button anywhere in my books. I emailed several of my friends who are collectors of buttons in the US and in Europe. The only person who responded was from England and he said it may be an early Masonic Demolay Button. He sent me the current emblem which has changed over the years but the significance is the crescent moon and ten stars. This was used in the early 1900's. Others have said it looks like a lodge button of some sort. Other than that I can find nothing else. Hope this helps. Wish I had better news.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please (new pics)

4-H said:
American Digger Magazine:


Butch & Mike,

This button threw me for a loop & I'm still not sure of the ID. I sent it to one of our button gurus, Bob Spratley. Bob forwarded it to some of his contacts & sent me the attached note & sketch. This may not be the ID for this button, but I believe that it is on the trail to an ID.

Take care,
Charlie Harris

Charlie,
I do not have any reference to this button anywhere in my books. I emailed several of my friends who are collectors of buttons in the US and in Europe. The only person who responded was from England and he said it may be an early Masonic Demolay Button. He sent me the current emblem which has changed over the years but the significance is the crescent moon and ten stars. This was used in the early 1900's. Others have said it looks like a lodge button of some sort. Other than that I can find nothing else. Hope this helps. Wish I had better news.
Wow great news. I just had a gut feeling there was more to it. Can you post a pic of the emblem?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please (new pics)

Im seeing that the crescent was often used as a Masonic symbol.

DeMolay – Young men’s auxiliary, 12-19 year olds, related to masons
 

Attachments

  • masonic crescent stars.webp
    masonic crescent stars.webp
    20.4 KB · Views: 418
Upvote 0
Re: Cannonball Button ID Please (new pics)

I dont know if its of any help, but I think your mold marks look like this. marks.webp
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom