Carved lead?... what do you think

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was so happy about the Minie ball I just put this in my pouch without really looking at it. do any of you see what I'm seeing? please let me know your thoughts

PART_1339467559332.jpeg

ForumRunner_20120614_192005.png

if I wasn't the 1 who found it I would have probably thought that 3 ringer was made last week. no oxidation at all. gotta love mud.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im not going to entertain that.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks....good one

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think there's no need to worry that you found a modern Blackpowder deerhunter's Repro minie-ball. The modern ones are nose-cast, and yours isn't nose-cast.

Regarding the lack of oxidation/patina... civil war bullets found in "wet ground" (and underwater) often show no oxidation, because the water prevents oxygen from reaching the lead. During the past 30-something years, I've found a good number like yours in creeks and swamps.

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nose castings are more common, but that Minie appears to have been Swaged. Swaging is the process used in large arsenals where molten lead is injected into a die/mold. We found a crate of them on the Maple Leaf shipwreck. They came out of the river dark, just like yours. Often the base of swaged bullets have a "chuck" mark similar to a star incised into it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread