Carved lead?... what do you think

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was so happy about the Minie ball I just put this in my pouch without really looking at it. do any of you see what I'm seeing? please let me know your thoughts

PART_1339467559332.jpeg

ForumRunner_20120614_192005.png

if I wasn't the 1 who found it I would have probably thought that 3 ringer was made last week. no oxidation at all. gotta love mud.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
im not going to entertain that.

thanks....good one

I think there's no need to worry that you found a modern Blackpowder deerhunter's Repro minie-ball. The modern ones are nose-cast, and yours isn't nose-cast.

Regarding the lack of oxidation/patina... civil war bullets found in "wet ground" (and underwater) often show no oxidation, because the water prevents oxygen from reaching the lead. During the past 30-something years, I've found a good number like yours in creeks and swamps.

Nose castings are more common, but that Minie appears to have been Swaged. Swaging is the process used in large arsenals where molten lead is injected into a die/mold. We found a crate of them on the Maple Leaf shipwreck. They came out of the river dark, just like yours. Often the base of swaged bullets have a "chuck" mark similar to a star incised into it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back