What's new

Carved stones - From CW site - ***SOLVED- Fairy Stones***

ModernMiner

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
14,115
Reaction score
4,540
Golden Thread
4
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.K., here's a few strange pieces. These two pieces were in with a bunch of CW relics I recently acquired. All the CW relics were from a battlefield.
I'm 95% sure these are stone. They look to me to be carved stone pieces and both look pretty similar in shape.
I know a lot of you have seen & dug carved lead from CW sites, but has anyone ever seen carved stone pieces?
Should I clean them up with a toothbrush & water? :dontknow:
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
MM
 

Attachments

  • MVC-031S.webp
    MVC-031S.webp
    32.5 KB · Views: 879
  • MVC-032S.webp
    MVC-032S.webp
    24.3 KB · Views: 601
Re: Carved stones - From CW site

ModernMiner said:
O.K., here's a few strange pieces. These two pieces were in with a bunch of CW relics I recently acquired. All the CW relics were from a battlefield.
I'm 95% sure these are stone. They look to me to be carved stone pieces and both look pretty similar in shape.
I know a lot of you have seen & dug carved lead from CW sites, but has anyone ever seen carved stone pieces?
Should I clean them up with a toothbrush & water? :dontknow:
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
MM


A BIG MAYBE: Home-made Caltrops. They could be fashioned all sorts of different ways. I can't say for certain but from the photo looks like maybe they've lost a couple ends to them but these pieces are very similar to caltrops that I've seen over the years
 
Upvote 0
Re: Carved stones - From CW site

Oh cool. I think I can solve this one. I believe they are staurolite crystals..Also called "fairy crosses". I've never solved one of these, so I'm happy if I'm right!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Carved stones - From CW site

{Sentinel} said:
ModernMiner said:
O.K., here's a few strange pieces. These two pieces were in with a bunch of CW relics I recently acquired. All the CW relics were from a battlefield.
I'm 95% sure these are stone. They look to me to be carved stone pieces and both look pretty similar in shape.
I know a lot of you have seen & dug carved lead from CW sites, but has anyone ever seen carved stone pieces?
Should I clean them up with a toothbrush & water? :dontknow:
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
MM


A BIG MAYBE: Home-made Caltrops. They could be fashioned all sorts of different ways. I can't say for certain but from the photo looks like maybe they've lost a couple ends to them but these pieces are very similar to caltrops that I've seen over the years

Josh,
Funny you said that. I was on a CW relic site today and saw caltrops and thought that exact thing.
Here's a picture and a bit of info from that site:

"The next item is a Civil War Caltrop which was used by retreating Infantrymen. These pieces were strewn across the road to slop down the advance of the approaching Cavalry. This was an early Booby Trap! No matter how you throw it 3 points always come up. This piece when stepped on will lame the Cavalry Horses."

-MM-
 

Attachments

  • caltrop%20noblesville0001.webp
    caltrop%20noblesville0001.webp
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,179
Upvote 0
Re: Carved stones - From CW site

ipsilateral said:
Oh cool. I think I can solve this one. I believe they are staurolite crystals..Also called "fairy crosses". I've never solved one of these, so I'm happy if I'm right!

Never heard of those. :dontknow:
Any samples to post?
Thanks,
MM
 
Upvote 0
Re: Carved stones - From CW site

ipsilateral said:
Oh cool. I think I can solve this one. I believe they are staurolite crystals..Also called "fairy crosses". I've never solved one of these, so I'm happy if I'm right!
Interesting , I just looked at a bunch on Google Images - could be .....
 
Upvote 0
Re: Carved stones - From CW site

Here are some pictures of fairy crosses.
What do you folks think? :icon_scratch:

I'm still thinking carved stone.
-MM-
 

Attachments

  • FC1.webp
    FC1.webp
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,158
  • FC2.webp
    FC2.webp
    2.6 KB · Views: 808
Upvote 0
Re: Carved stones - From CW site

ModernMiner said:
Here are some pictures of fairy crosses.
What do you folks think? :icon_scratch:

I'm still thinking carved stone.
-MM-


My opinion....the fairy stones in the photo above don't look the same as what you have...the characteristics of the items you have looked carved and overlap in certain spots.... HOWEVER, LOOK AT THESE FAIRY STONES BELOW:
LOOKS LIKE A DEAD MATCH


You see that they have that 'carved' look to them much more than the fairy stones above. My wife said that the ones above that look more like iron crosses are actually manipulated to be perfect like that......but these pictured are them in their natural glory.. ;D

:icon_thumright:
 

Attachments

  • 2215210373_7de174230c[1].webp
    2215210373_7de174230c[1].webp
    59.9 KB · Views: 701
Upvote 0
Re: Carved stones - From CW site

ipsilateral said:
Oh cool. I think I can solve this one. I believe they are staurolite crystals..Also called "fairy crosses". I've never solved one of these, so I'm happy if I'm right!
I think your right. Check out the Fairy Stone State Park website. I thought fairy stones as soon as seen them also.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Carved stones - From CW site

Awesome ID ipsilateral :headbang:

What amazing structures :o

Mike
 
Upvote 0
Re: Carved stones - From CW site

ipsilateral said:
Oh cool. I think I can solve this one. I believe they are staurolite crystals..Also called "fairy crosses". I've never solved one of these, so I'm happy if I'm right!

Ipsilateral,
Thank you so much for that ID. :icon_thumleft: Looking at the pictures Sentinel post, I can see you are dead on.
GREAT JOB on the ID. :hello2: I've never even heard of fairy stones until now. That's the great thing about this site, you learn something new all the time. We'll call this one SOLVED. :icon_thumleft:
Maybe a CW soldier carried them for good luck?
-MM-
 
Upvote 0
Re: Carved stones - From CW site

{Sentinel} said:
ModernMiner said:
Here are some pictures of fairy crosses.
What do you folks think? :icon_scratch:

I'm still thinking carved stone.
-MM-


My opinion....the fairy stones in the photo above don't look the same as what you have...the characteristics of the items you have looked carved and overlap in certain spots.... HOWEVER, LOOK AT THESE FAIRY STONES BELOW:
LOOKS LIKE A DEAD MATCH


You see that they have that 'carved' look to them much more than the fairy stones above. My wife said that the ones above that look more like iron crosses are actually manipulated to be perfect like that......but these pictured are them in their natural glory.. ;D

:icon_thumright:

Josh,
Thanks for that picture & you wife's info. I'm sold too. Those are dead on. :icon_thumleft:
-MM-
 
Upvote 0
4-H said:
Great Thread. Very educating. Thanks Doug for the history lesson...Mike

I agree and cool ID. What kind of rock are fairy stones?
 
Upvote 0
Metamorphic rocks. Thanks great link Mike :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom