What's new

casket or barrel key ?

allen

Platinum Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2004
Messages
20,065
Reaction score
215
Golden Thread
0
Location
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug this at an early 1930s homesite
here in Shelby County on Sunday afternoon
and hope someone can ID it with the blurry
pics that i have of it.
It was about 4 inches deep and came up as
a quarter signal which surprised me big time.
There is a hole all the way through it close to
the end is why i thought it was a key.

Thanks for solving this everyone !!!
 

Attachments

  • 1207111459[1].webp
    1207111459[1].webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 851
  • 1207111500[1].webp
    1207111500[1].webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 914
Looks like part of a valve from a old gas light.
 
Upvote 0
Banjo/guitar tuning key.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Think it's an faucet.
 
Upvote 0
DCMatt said:
Banjo/guitar tuning key.

DCMatt

I'm with Matt, from what I can see, it looks like a stringed instrument tuning key.
Breezie
 
Upvote 0
is the end treaded? I can't recall see any git/jo/fid tuners that were brass. what the over all length?
 
Upvote 0
close Gunny, but it has no threads and I
will post better pics if i get a new camera
and the length when i get home later today !
Breezie or DC Matt, can you find a pic of
the stringed instrument tuning key to post
so i can see if it is the same or not ?
 
Upvote 0
allen said:
close Gunny, but it has no threads and I
will post better pics if i get a new camera
and the length when i get home later today !
Breezie or DC Matt, can you find a pic of
the stringed instrument tuning key to post
so i can see if it is the same or not ?
I cant find an exploded view, but I think your piece is just a part of this one. The thumbscrew seen in the middle of the valve, if pulled out of the valve body would look like your piece.
 
Upvote 0
Hmmm... The gas lamp key looks like a good possibility.

I said tuning peg because I'm a guitar player and it was the first thing that came to mind.

Even though it 'could' be a tuning key, a gas lamp key would be much more likely.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
--DCMatt-- I thought the hole in the item might be a bit large for any string that I know of. Also, I can't recall any brass friction peg that I have seen
 
Upvote 0
I agree with the others, its a valve. It doesnt need threads. It turns until the hole lines up.
 
Upvote 0
allen said:
the flat part on mine doesnt move any, its actually made not to move.
The entire piece moves until the hole lines up.
 
Upvote 0
Gas lamp valve. Solved.
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
Gas lamp valve. Solved.
I dont think there is any doubt. Nice find.
 

Attachments

  • gas_valves.webp
    gas_valves.webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 383
  • GasFixtures[1].webp
    GasFixtures[1].webp
    24.1 KB · Views: 396
  • gasvalve[1].webp
    gasvalve[1].webp
    66.9 KB · Views: 423
  • gas_valves.webp
    gas_valves.webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 374
  • GasFixtures[1].webp
    GasFixtures[1].webp
    24.1 KB · Views: 390
  • gasvalve[1].webp
    gasvalve[1].webp
    66.9 KB · Views: 418
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom