What's new

Cast iron stove foot?

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
1,861
Reaction score
83
Golden Thread
0
Location
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it looks like a foot that slids into a groove on a cast iron stove. It is 3.5" x3" and weighs 6 oz. heavy cast iron. Picture t measures 1 3/4".
 

Attachments

  • stove foot1.webp
    stove foot1.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 380
  • stove foot2.webp
    stove foot2.webp
    18 KB · Views: 385
  • stove foot3.webp
    stove foot3.webp
    11 KB · Views: 382
Re: Whats this?

Rando said:
Do you have one of those 5 volt homemade electrolysis rigs?

I'd be almost tempted to 'tap' it a little....

No but tapping would probably work, Chunks of rust were comming off with the tooth brush.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Whats this?

I'm sure some of you will cringe when I say this, but on heavily rusted 'thick' objects, I use a pair of pliers and twist off the rust. Chubby C taught me how back in the '60's. ;D Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Whats this?

Breezie said:
I'm sure some of you will cringe when I say this, but on heavily rusted 'thick' objects, I use a pair of pliers and twist off the rust. Chubby C taught me how back in the '60's. ;D Breezie

I will give that a try, my hands turned orange while cleaning this.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Whats this?

Rando said:
Breezie said:
Chubby C taught me how back in the '60's. ;D Breezie

NO, NO, NO.... Your older sister MAYBE...

. . . . . .and that's why I just LOVE you! Flattery will get you everywhere!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Whats this?

If you go the tapping route start by using a nice hunk of oak or hickory first, maybe less chance of doing damage to the piece, also Rando I think you need to get to the optometrist, clearly you meant to say Breezies mother, not older sister!

Chuck.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Whats this?

If your going to use pliers, why not use a large hammer and sharp chisel? :wink: You never know what may be valuable and I think electroysis is the best way with ferrous unless you are certain its junk.

Sometimes the methods we learned in the 60's can be improved upon. I admit I wasted a lot of time and electricity using the electrolysis method on junk, but it works sooo good!!!
 
Upvote 0
maybe cleaning it better (electrolysis) will reveal a clue. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom