What's new

CELLAR HOLE HUNT*CIVIL WAR UNION EAGLE SWORD BUCKLE

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
3,465
Reaction score
2,997
Golden Thread
6
Location
CT
🥇 Banner finds
6
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sniffy picked me up at 7am and we headed up to a couple holes in his neck of the woods.was digging big iron pieces.my fourth target read half dollar at 4 inches.i dug a square nail and was saying it's gonna be one of them iron days :dontknow: then a flat piece of rusty iron came out of the hole.scanned the hole again and figuring there was still more iron in the hole i was digging carelessly when this buckle popped out :thumbsup: .i nicked it with my shovel :'( still more iron was in the hole and a brass piece too.so much stuff in one hole and was not expecting this find that's for sure.sniffy got skunked and i felt horrible that he didn't find any keepers. :(
my only other decent find was the flat button.no coins,no coppers but would really like to know if this is a union civil war eagle belt plate? any idea on the value would be appreciated too.
thanks all and have a great weekend!
dave
 

Attachments

  • DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 001 [].webp
    DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 001 [].webp
    31 KB · Views: 7,737
  • DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 007 [].webp
    DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 007 [].webp
    15.9 KB · Views: 7,666
  • DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 004 [].webp
    DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 004 [].webp
    23 KB · Views: 7,680
  • DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 009 [].webp
    DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 009 [].webp
    17.7 KB · Views: 7,608
  • DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 003 [].webp
    DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 003 [].webp
    16.9 KB · Views: 7,596
  • DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 010 [].webp
    DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 010 [].webp
    20.9 KB · Views: 7,691
  • DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 016 [].webp
    DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 016 [].webp
    25.2 KB · Views: 7,469
  • DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 019 [].webp
    DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 019 [].webp
    24.7 KB · Views: 7,516
  • DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 018 [].webp
    DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 018 [].webp
    30.8 KB · Views: 7,563
  • DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 011 [].webp
    DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 011 [].webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 7,594
  • DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 015 [].webp
    DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 015 [].webp
    27.2 KB · Views: 7,558
Upvote 4
How did I miss this post? Great find, especially digging in the snow like that! Definitely Civil War era as others have said, you can tell by the narrow tongue on the back. You have had a great year hunting those cellar holes!

My brother found this one here in PA while looking for petrified wood in a cornfield. There is some of the petrified wood in the pic as well. There was an old house along one side of the field where there was some turn of the century trash dumped. He found the plate in that area. I bought it off him and it is now in my collection. I dug a keeper in Virginia, but would really like to dig the plate myself.
 

Attachments

  • Sword Belt.jpg.webp
    Sword Belt.jpg.webp
    44 KB · Views: 1,557
:laughing9: Dave , Is it me ??? some members are so busy posting "comparison pics to steal your thunder " or for whatever reason , :icon_scratch: that they don't realize this thread is over a year old . :dontknow: read people ...great find from a year ago ::) ::) ::) :D
 
CMDiamonddawg said:
:laughing9: Dave , Is it me ??? some members are so busy posting "comparison pics to steal your thunder " or for whatever reason , :icon_scratch: that they don't realize this thread is over a year old . :dontknow: read people ...great find from a year ago ::) ::) ::) :D

Ooops, I just saw Dec 12 and thought this was a recent post. Didn't notice the year 2009. Still a great find and worthy of belated congratulations. I apologize if I "stole" any old thunder by posting a comparison piece found in a non Civil War context.
 
Steve in PA said:
CMDiamonddawg said:
:laughing9: Dave , Is it me ??? some members are so busy posting "comparison pics to steal your thunder " or for whatever reason , :icon_scratch: that they don't realize this thread is over a year old . :dontknow: read people ...great find from a year ago ::) ::) ::) :D

Ooops, I just saw Dec 12 and thought this was a recent post. Didn't notice the year 2009. Still a great find and worthy of belated congratulations. I apologize if I "stole" any old thunder by posting a comparison piece found in a non Civil War context.
don't worry about it lol i already had my thunder on this post last year. a little lightning now i guess :laughing7:
 
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
Steve in PA said:
CMDiamonddawg said:
:laughing9: Dave , Is it me ??? some members are so busy posting "comparison pics to steal your thunder " or for whatever reason , :icon_scratch: that they don't realize this thread is over a year old . :dontknow: read people ...great find from a year ago ::) ::) ::) :D

Ooops, I just saw Dec 12 and thought this was a recent post. Didn't notice the year 2009. Still a great find and worthy of belated congratulations. I apologize if I "stole" any old thunder by posting a comparison piece found in a non Civil War context.
don't worry about it lol i already had my thunder on this post last year. a little lightning now i guess :laughing7:

LOL - Either lighting or maybe more like a FLASHBACK :laughing7:
 
I don't know how this post snuck past me, but that is a great find! I am not much of a CW relic hunter, as we have mostly older sites here, but I would not mind finding one of those one bit!

It is even nicer to see that these things turn up in New England!

I was gonna be heading up to your town for the holiday weekend, but I scrapped the plans! One of these days I will make it up and put some detecting time aside for you while my wife hangs out with her old college roommates.

Have a happy New Year!
 
Neil in West Jersey said:
I don't know how this post snuck past me, but that is a great find! I am not much of a CW relic hunter, as we have mostly older sites here, but I would not mind finding one of those one bit!

It is even nicer to see that these things turn up in New England!

I was gonna be heading up to your town for the holiday weekend, but I scrapped the plans! One of these days I will make it up and put some detecting time aside for you while my wife hangs out with her old college roommates.

Have a happy New Year!
thanks Neil happy new year to you too.too much snow to detect up here at this moment but yeah,would love to meet ya and do a hunt sometime!
 
Congrats on a well earned Banner find,I too tect in the snow,A guy has to do what we have to do :thumbsup: it would be worth the walk back there to try and find the rest,good luck,Dave
 
The number on the back is actually a bench number (inspector's number). I have found keeper and buckle at the same homestead site before, and the numbers did not match. I have also seen buckles dug with keepers that matched. But I'm not certain that a matched set was always the case. Keep searching. There may be a keeper there, or part of the sabre rig.

-Buckles
 
Looks like our metal detecting is over for this winter at least untill all these feet of snow melt.Nice find for 2009.
Gary
 
Very nice plate. I'm guessing sword plates don't make banner anymore. lol
 
nice civil war save
 
Very nice plate. I'm guessing sword plates don't make banner anymore. lol
it did make the banner a few years ago.no idea who dug this old timer thread up? lol
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom