Cellar Hunt yields copper,buttons and lettered pewter button??

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all . Last year research led me to a very old site . It was as usual a steep hike to the cellar and it took me a while to find . I figured I was in the neighborhood when I ran into a series of walls. The site itself is unusual in that the homesite is right on the side of the mountain with the ground sloping sharply both in front and back of the site . The hole isn't really a hole at all but must have been a shallow cellar because of its location and the fact the ground is very rocky.Anyway I detected around the cellar , and while I knew it was undetected I got very few signals and left with a few buttons. Well leap forward to yesterday I had a few free hours Max was bored so we took a hike to check out a hunch I had. The hike up is daunting ; only a half mile from my truck but straight uphill bushwacking ( which was one reason I never went back). My hunch was that the cellar being on the hill and the hill being so steep in front of the house maybe stuff was washed downhill? My theory was supported by the fact was that what have been the front yard was dirt and boulders ... not even many leaves . So I followed the wash outs and my pictures will tell the rest of the story. Nothing great but a plethora of very old flat and pewter buttons and a toasted draped bust. But I do need help on the pewter button with the lettering on it..anyone got an ID on it. The lettering seems to be Latin(?) with a staff or torch in the middle . I have shown the front and back any help would be appreciated. Take care

Attachments

• IMG_0988.JPG
    IMG_0988.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1046.JPG
    IMG_1046.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1042.JPG
    IMG_1042.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1056.JPG
    IMG_1056.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1045.JPG
    IMG_1045.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1062 (1).JPG
    IMG_1062 (1).JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1063.JPG
    IMG_1063.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1058.JPG
    IMG_1058.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1060.JPG
    IMG_1060.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1061 (1).JPG
    IMG_1061 (1).JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1047.JPG
    IMG_1047.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1048 (1).JPG
    IMG_1048 (1).JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 13

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a little blurry to make out any lettering. Your research paid off and you and your cat made some great finds [emoji12]

OP
OP
G

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a little blurry to make out any lettering. Your research paid off and you and your cat made some great finds [emoji12]

Yeah try as I might could'nt get a better pic with my phone ;was hoping someone would recognize it. I'd repeat what Max said about your comment but we'd be thrown off T-Net.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish we could see a clearer photo of the button, we might be able to ID it.

Congrats on the copper. I have a hunch your button will be a great one...

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You actually did get a great find!

Attachments

• pag1.jpg
    pag1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 98
  • pag2.jpg
    pag2.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 101
  • pag3.jpg
    pag3.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You actually did get a great find!

Wow thank you Iron Patch. I'am still trying to figure out who this person was who lived at the site. How should I preserve the button? Again thank you for the info it sure brings it too life.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thank you Iron Patch. I'am still trying to figure out who this person was who lived at the site. How should I preserve the button? Again thank you for the info it sure brings it too life.

Yeah the Id is certainly a game changer for that one. It's definitely a banner quality find.

Look into the elmers glue method.. should come up on a search. Many seem to think it works best.

OP
OP
G

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah the Id is certainly a game changer for that one. It's definitely a banner quality find.

Look into the elmers glue method.. should come up on a search. Many seem to think it works best.

Again thanks . I'll look into that method . I must say it seems better made and less flaky than most pewter buttons I find.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again thanks . I'll look into that method . I must say it seems better made and less flaky than most pewter buttons I find.

Glad to help. I seen one of these posted years ago and it stuck in my brain.

Yeah the ground there helped. Being more grey than white, and the edge intact does suggests it's likely not going to crumble anytime soon, but there's no reason not to preserve it much sooner than later.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Style is Revolutionary War Period, a little blurry but it looks like an "inimica tyrannis", believed used by early Mass. troops in the Rev War.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BEST FIND OF ALL YOUR HUNTING PARTNER , HAD A BOXER THAT WOULD DIG BESIDE ME SUDDENLY PASSED . CHERISH THE MOMENTS AND CONGRATS ON A NICE BUNCH OF FINDS .

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never get tired of digging old buttons myself. Congrats on the great finds - the Tyrannis button in amazing!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic Rev War button and probably worth a pretty penny. Take a nice crisp shot with sword oriented properly for the BANNER. My vote is going in now.

OP
OP
G

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic Rev War button and probably worth a pretty penny. Take a nice crisp shot with sword oriented properly for the BANNER. My vote is going in now.

Thanks for the kind words . My son is going to get a better picture on his phone or else I'll try to figure out a better way to get a clear picture .; just couldn't get my Iphone to focus.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Try this:
Take a small flashlight and shine it on the button-not directly overhead but at an angle. Take several pictures WITHOUT the flash, with the flashlight at different angles, then post the best one. This is a good way to accentuate the lettering and design using shadows and light.

OP
OP
G

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better (?) picture of Rev War Button

Per requests here is ;I think a clearer photo. Please look back to my thread from 9/18 for the story of my hunt and to the ID of the button by Iron Patch . The thread is "Cellar Hunt......lettered pewter button ". Thanks and sorry for any confusion caused by my adding a new thread rather than editing the orginal one .

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread