What's new

Central Missouri find

Tonto6

Greenie
Joined
Jan 28, 2011
Messages
14
Reaction score
13
Golden Thread
0
I need some help Iding this point I found in a creek today in central Missouri. I was thinking preform or North Blade. What do you guys think? Any idea on age?

I think it was broken when it was made along time ago.
 

Attachments

  • 3BAC01DA-49F2-4D60-ACB2-64A520AA6A3E.webp
    3BAC01DA-49F2-4D60-ACB2-64A520AA6A3E.webp
    2.5 MB · Views: 181
  • 420F4840-A24C-448E-81B5-2FEDCC60FAB5.webp
    420F4840-A24C-448E-81B5-2FEDCC60FAB5.webp
    3.5 MB · Views: 142
  • 604A25AD-65EE-4BC8-8043-E22D5865EEF0.webp
    604A25AD-65EE-4BC8-8043-E22D5865EEF0.webp
    1.8 MB · Views: 144
Upvote 0
Large Knife or Preform most likely. North Blades are usually very finely made.
 
I say blade to
 
Tonto6 - I'm in Missouri as well. The form is fairly generic and is sometimes hard to date. Like Steve said earlier, I don't think it's a North blade (or specifically Snyders related). Often times with points like these you have to find other associated artifacts to make a good estimation as to age. Nice find, congrats and welcome to the site.
 
It's a biface that appears to have been broken during manufacture. There was a hidden vein/seam in the material that caused that. Missouri is a lithic rich area so they could afford to toss that and pick up another piece to whack on. You won't see things like that happen in lithic poor areas - they used everything and anything.
 
Thanks for all of the info. Since I found this in a creek I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get a date range on it.
 
Tonto - your probably but occasionally you do find a single component creek or river spot. Either way, nice find.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom