✅ SOLVED Centuries old Accidental Treasure (found) Encased in Natural Stone (lava) Tomb, "Gazing at stars, finding time, here I am...". What am I...? bye.

JerryJack

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2024
What am I...? I believe I know... Approx. Eight years ago, my wife and I spotted a flashing "toy", peering out at us through a small 2" diameter hole, buried 8 inches deep inside the hole it was entombed by centuries old lava flow(s). At just the perfect vantage point-of-view, and the ideal time of day and visual pespective, with the sun glowing behind us, repeatedly flashing a sparkle at us, it was illuminated, sparking our curiosity. And so it began, our secret child-hood fantasy (now fully exposed - in photo below) from the brittle lava that had engulfed this item. Clearly this was old, and it was buried in a lava flow, maybe two or three lava flows. From what I have researched, the last few lava flows in this region occured in the 17th, 18th, and possibly even the 16th or 19th century's. But with not much info to figure out what we just stumbled on, other than a location, and an obvious date stamp (locked in the historical lava flows) spanning +/- 200-500 years being entombed in lava, I researched what I could and found no historical records of a sunken vessel in that span of time, other than rumours of a sunkin Manilla Galleon supposedly 50 miles away from where we found this item.
Picture1.jpg
I believe I have an idea what this item is, but I would like to hear what some of you have to say... Any ideas?

Dreaming as I child, I played in the treehouse, and underground caverns pretending to plan our treasure hunts, digging holes...
Suddenly, accidently, 50 years later, did we find something that nobody else did?

Just like when I was a child, wanting to believe the item is from a historical lost sunkin treasure ship, we could only wonder (like ametuers) what could this be?. So finally, eight years later in Spring of 2024, we went back with intent, believing we would find proof we would find something, anything else of interest, that could be tied to the (unidentified - probably brass) hinged item inside what appears to be an encrusted cylinder of some kind. It is heavy, it is probably 1/2 inch thick (assuming the encrustation is removed) It feels like lead, but maybe its ceramic, or even molded clay. We also found a small piece of sheet metal (a couple square inches) that appeared to be sheet copper.
Picture6.jpg

Finally, eight years later, we were there for only two days, with nothing more than two pairs of eyes, and a tiny screw driver to poke the cracks. suprisingly we found more than one item, we found a lot of items. ALL OF THEM either encased in lava, or encrusted in lava. The difference being, the items encased were nothing more than pieces of (quenched) Ferous metal, and more random pieces of non-ferous (copper) sheet metal, all of which had only the tips of the metals exposed from a sheet flow of lava, just like an ice-berg, with much more than the exposed metals encased in lava below the surface.
The photos (x2) are the same cluster of nails. They are partially encrusted (exposed to sea water), and partially coated with lava. There appears to be three different nail sizes in this cluster of nails.
1716249519781.jpeg
1716249572642.jpeg
#nailcluster
I don't know how to describe the two types of lava encrusted items other than to say, the items we found were either singular or multiple items "dipped" in lava, much like molten chocalate covers (or coats) a pretzel (or ice cream) and quickly hardens. The melted chocolate creates a fairly thick coating of the pretzel, the observer knows its still a pretzel, although all you can see is a chocolate pretzel. And, if you put a few pretzels on top of each other, and then pour melted chocolate over all of them, you can still tell what the surface pretzels are. Although its (a smoking gun) the same pretzels are probably under the melted chocalte.
In our real life finds of the ferous and non-ferous metals we were able to expose some of the surface lava coatings and found (6) six nails, a coin (heavily encrusted) many more small pieces of (likely copper) sheet metal, and multiple pieces of (what appears to be quenched) ferrous metal coated in (1/4 inch coating) lava, which appeared to cool relatively quickly while not melting the various pieces of metal.
1716247474839.jpeg
#1 item 1-1/4"
Picture4.jpg
#2 item 1-1/4"
Picture8.jpg
#3 item 1" long
Picture7.jpg
#4 item 1" long
I'm including four nails of the six we found in 2024. Please give me your thoughts on these items. And Finally, I have a few photos of the nails. I consider these nails to be like finger prints of whatever it belonged to. I have some ideas of these items as well, but I would also like your opinions of the nails I found, when they were made, who made them, and what were they used for. The nails were found in two specific areas in the debris field of lava.

There are two types of nails. The small ones (x4)are exactly one inch long. They seem as if they are close to round near the head (unsure), but are definately a tapered square shaft, and appear to be inconsistant and hand made, but all are tipped (angled bevel) in a similar way and very sharp. I believe these are brass nails. The head of these nails are not round, rather they look as if they are oval, egg or tear drop shapped and all appear to be attached manually to the shaft. The second (x2) pair of nails are much different. They are not quite 1- 1/4" inches long. The head and shaft appear to be cast or molded from a single piece of copper. the head is round, and the edge is rounded. The head is distinct, yet it appears to be thickened where it is cast down to the tappered round shaft. The tips of these nails do not come to a point but appear to be round at the bottom. This is a very unique nail, and I am quite puzzeled by it.

I would like to hear all your thoughts on all or some of the items I've found.
Picture1.jpg
Picture13.png
Picture17.png
Picture16.png
Picture15.png
Picture14.png

Last edited by a moderator:

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I’m not seeing it. The photos of the lava don’t seem noteworthy, aside from the obvious fact that lava flows are awesome.

Maybe the photos are deceptivr, but the nails look like round nails (as opposed to hand forged square nails), so not *that* old.

I’m not sure where you’re going with it. Are you trying to establish the date of a structure that was there previously (the nails)? Copper and brass seem odd choices for nails, but then I’m used to regular old iron nails…

Upvote 1
OP
OP
J

JerryJack

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2024
I guess I’m not seeing it. The photos of the lava don’t seem noteworthy, aside from the obvious fact that lava flows are awesome.

Maybe the photos are deceptivr, but the nails look like round nails (as opposed to hand forged square nails), so not *that* old.

I’m not sure where you’re going with it. Are you trying to establish the date of a structure that was there previously (the nails)? Copper and brass seem odd choices for nails, but then I’m used to regular old iron nails…
I appreciate the feedback. Although, there's nothing like someone pissing in one's cheerios with the first post they make on this website. I've kinda wondered about the posts here. They mostly seem to be sinical and drip with apathy, trying to make it appear as what they are viewing is a waste of their time.... Maybe pissing in someone elses cherrios make you feel good about yourself.

Welcome to Treasure Net.

I believe the pot which is fully engulfed by lava is a Marine Chronometer. (I don't know how closely you looked) The last known flow of lava over this object occurred in the early 1800's. I'm new to this, but as you when I look at something without a description, or a story, or a fact of gold treasure attached, I see it as meaningless. and probably dumb. I'm sure absolutely everything looks ho hum to those that don't know what they are looking at.
That said, I don't actually know what I found, and I don't know the significance. As I said, I believe I know what it is, I just want assistance with verification from someone who might be an expert, that might know what it actually is. My description of the nails held in my hand, observed by high powered focal lenses is True, and your interpretation based on your Iron spike theory perception of the photos of the nails is False. Your comments are not helpful, please go piss in your toilet. If you can't be helpful, keep it to yourself. I don't need your iron speak theory of wisdom.

Upvote 2

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe pissing in someone elses cherrios make you feel good about yourself.
Wow. Get up on the wrong side of the bed? You asked for opinions on your lava-encased items. I gave you my opinion. If you don’t like my response, fine, but don’t be a jerk about it. I said I don’t see what you’re getting at with your post. Instead of trying to tell me I’m an idiot, maybe you could expand on what you see — perhaps with more or better photos — so maybe I can see what you’re taking about?

Upvote 8
OP
OP
J

JerryJack

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2024

Here you go, Square, tapered, and not iron.

Not that I owe you anything. If you would have read my write-up, I have no reason to lie. These were found within the flowing lava. The last known date of lava here was the early 1800's. Simple math makes them 200+ years old.

Read, Read, Read...

I did read some of your other posts.... It seems like you like to piss in other people's cheerios too. No different than telling the artifact guy his Indian artifact is nothing more than a rock... huh? how do you know...

Picture13.png Picture14.png Picture15.png
Picture17.png

Attachments

• Picture16.png
    Picture16.png
    309.9 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I take it, this was the item encased in the lava flow that you are asking about?

I would think something made out of brass, would be tarnished/corroded if it was in situ for any long period of time. That said I don't know what the item itself is.

I take it that Is that the only picture you have of it (Item in first picture)?

As for the nails/spikes, sorry I don't know enough to even offer an opinion on them.

20240520_204739.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JerryJack

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2024
I take it, this was the item encased in the lava flow that you are asking about?

I would think something made out of brass, would be tarnished/corroded if it was in situ for any long period of time. That said I don't know what the item itself is.

I take it that Is that the only picture you have of it (Item in first picture)?

As for the nails/spikes, sorry I don't know enough to even offer an opinion on them.

View attachment 2150228
thanks for your thoughts on this. I would have thought so too. I am certainly not a metallurgist, and maybe its some other kind of metal? Either way, what's curious to me this entire item has been there since the lava flowed 200+ years ago. I tend to believe this was a Marine Chronometer. Thats the only explanation I have.

Upvote 0

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You come across as a bigoted opinionated uneducated twit.
Thanks for the additional photos. My uneducated twit opinion now says “are you sure those nails aren’t iron?” The new photos sure look like iron to me. The fact that they haven’t rusted doesn’t necessarily mean they aren’t iron, it just means they weren’t exposed to water and air — which they wouldn’t be if they were encased in rock. Have you tested whether they stick to a magnet?

If you would have read my write-up, I have no reason to lie.
Who said you were lying? I just said it seemed odd to make a nail out of copper or brass because they are too soft for most things you would have used a nail for back then. But now that you have added the detail that they are only 1/16” wide, I guess they could have been for more decorative purposes.

And, by the way, why do I have to prove to you with better photos anyway. Why don't you prove your unsubstantiated opinion is correct!
I wasn’t asking you to prove anything, just to get a better look at the items that you are asking about. To better help identify them. That’s what you posted them for, right? If you’ve already got it all figured out, then why ask for others opinions?

Upvote 4

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
PS... for a nail shank that is 1/16 of an inch thick at its widest point at the head, tapering down to almost nothing, and still sharp after 200+ years, is certainly not iron. They would have rusted to powder, rather than still showing a sharp square shank as shown.
This is totally wrong in your assumption that a square nail made of iron "would have rusted to powder"

I have even dug 200 yr old nails that still have iron oxide showing on part of them, and having a sharp square shank.

Then again what would I really know from digging thousands of square nails that were rusty.
I do know that they didn't look like chocolate covered pretzels (I would ask what that was all about-but I don't want to be pissed on)

Upvote 5

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
PS... for a nail shank that is 1/16 of an inch thick at its widest point at the head, tapering down to almost nothing, and still sharp after 200+ years, is certainly not iron. They would have rusted to powder, rather than still showing a sharp square shank as shown.

And, by the way, why do I have to prove to you with better photos anyway. Why don't you prove your unsubstantiated opinion is correct!

Maybe I did wake up on the wrong side of the bed, but pissing in my cheerios pissed me off. You come across as a bigoted opinionated uneducated twit. I would only be a jerk if this were not true.
You're calling someone trying to help you bigoted ? Then yes you are a jerk.
Robertk is a good egg. With a demonstrated hands on yen for history among the rubble of past society.
You seek opinion then heed it. Regardless of if it pleases you or your opinion.

Pinkish item with silver fasteners.
Look at top rightmost end.
See the rivet? It differs from it's neighbors. Now date it.
If it isn't aluminum it is soft. No , not lead soft. Is it hammered? Pressed? How uniform? Can circular swirls be seen on the "faces of the silver fasteners from machining? Has item been blasted by water supported sand over time? When did the other rivets styles come into use?
Are they hand made or machined?

If you're going to declare it a chronometer , assign a date by it's material and construction.
It appears a modern piece. Whatever it is.

Dating the last lava flow doesn't date items driven into pockets within cooled lava. Air voids or deteriorated /eroded/weak from contaminates lava.

Then too nearest wave beaten rock can be compared to lava. Is rock clean? Or supporting a build up? Does lava show a glass shine and gloss? Or more a sandstone finish? Porous lava is going to soak up a lot of crud. Enough to begin to encase debris trapped in pockets. YOU worked the lava. Does it have a build up on it since it cooled? Does it encrust trapped prior exposed items like it appears to from very limited pictures?

Nails/fasteners look good.
Varied pieces. (Not the same source for all). A couple look old enough that along with the copper bits hint that old stuff is around. How surprised anyone should be about that along an ocean is going to vary with how much they study such.
If you haven't , look up rose head nails.

Upvote 4

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Obviously it was placed there by ancient alien spacer travelers. It's the only logical explanation - right?

Who else but ancient alien spacer travelers had access to aluminum rivets prior to 1800?

Mystery solved.

Upvote 1

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I appreciate the feedback. Although, there's nothing like someone pissing in one's cheerios with the first post they make on this website. I've kinda wondered about the posts here. They mostly seem to be sinical and drip with apathy, trying to make it appear as what they are viewing is a waste of their time.... Maybe pissing in someone elses cherrios make you feel good about yourself.

JJ, there's good people here who were trying to give you some help, as you asked for.

As for "cynical"...it is often defined as "concerned only with one's own interests and typically disregarding accepted or appropriate standards in order to achieve them." Perhaps you might reconsider the use of that word.

As for dating the items, first step there is to determine who lived there, and when. Who lived there before the last lava flow?

FWIW, The item in the first image appears quite modern to my eyes. How it came to be where it is, I have no idea.

Upvote 0

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
The arrow on the map.
Detector(s) used
My children and a good stick.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears the "linkage" parts are in a pot shaped thing.

We don't know where in the world this thing is so imaginations may run wild.
Wild ideas-

1-Part of an old torpedo.
Linkage for- Steering engine, Depth engine, Gyro engine, directional engine.
It was shot into where it's at or parts of a torpedo survived being blown up and got flung here.

2- Parts from a nuclear bomb after it was tested.

3- Parts from a Vimana after a great aerial battle.

Upvote 0

Marino13

Sep 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What am I...? I believe I know... Approx. Eight years ago, my wife and I spotted a flashing "toy", peering out at us through a small 2" diameter hole, buried 8 inches deep inside the hole it was entombed by centuries old lava flow(s). At just the perfect vantage point-of-view, and the ideal time of day and visual pespective, with the sun glowing behind us, repeatedly flashing a sparkle at us, it was illuminated, sparking our curiosity. And so it began, our secret child-hood fantasy (now fully exposed - in photo below) from the brittle lava that had engulfed this item. Clearly this was old, and it was buried in a lava flow, maybe two or three lava flows. From what I have researched, the last few lava flows in this region occured in the 17th, 18th, and possibly even the 16th or 19th century's. But with not much info to figure out what we just stumbled on, other than a location, and an obvious date stamp (locked in the historical lava flows) spanning +/- 200-500 years being entombed in lava, I researched what I could and found no historical records of a sunken vessel in that span of time, other than rumours of a sunkin Manilla Galleon supposedly 50 miles away from where we found this item.
View attachment 2150132 I believe I have an idea what this item is, but I would like to hear what some of you have to say... Any ideas?

Dreaming as I child, I played in the treehouse, and underground caverns pretending to plan our treasure hunts, digging holes...
Suddenly, accidently, 50 years later, did we find something that nobody else did?

Just like when I was a child, wanting to believe the item is from a historical lost sunkin treasure ship, we could only wonder (like ametuers) what could this be?. So finally, eight years later in Spring of 2024, we went back with intent, believing we would find proof we would find something, anything else of interest, that could be tied to the (unidentified - probably brass) hinged item inside what appears to be an encrusted cylinder of some kind. It is heavy, it is probably 1/2 inch thick (assuming the encrustation is removed) It feels like lead, but maybe its ceramic, or even molded clay. We also found a small piece of sheet metal (a couple square inches) that appeared to be sheet copper.
View attachment 2150181
Finally, eight years later, we were there for only two days, with nothing more than two pairs of eyes, and a tiny screw driver to poke the cracks. suprisingly we found more than one item, we found a lot of items. ALL OF THEM either encased in lava, or encrusted in lava. The difference being, the items encased were nothing more than pieces of (quenched) Ferous metal, and more random pieces of non-ferous (copper) sheet metal, all of which had only the tips of the metals exposed from a sheet flow of lava, just like an ice-berg, with much more than the exposed metals encased in lava below the surface.
The photos (x2) are the same cluster of nails. They are partially encrusted (exposed to sea water), and partially coated with lava. There appears to be three different nail sizes in this cluster of nails.
View attachment 2150182 View attachment 2150183 #nailcluster
I don't know how to describe the two types of lava encrusted items other than to say, the items we found were either singular or multiple items "dipped" in lava, much like molten chocalate covers (or coats) a pretzel (or ice cream) and quickly hardens. The melted chocolate creates a fairly thick coating of the pretzel, the observer knows its still a pretzel, although all you can see is a chocolate pretzel. And, if you put a few pretzels on top of each other, and then pour melted chocolate over all of them, you can still tell what the surface pretzels are. Although its (a smoking gun) the same pretzels are probably under the melted chocalte.
In our real life finds of the ferous and non-ferous metals we were able to expose some of the surface lava coatings and found (6) six nails, a coin (heavily encrusted) many more small pieces of (likely copper) sheet metal, and multiple pieces of (what appears to be quenched) ferrous metal coated in (1/4 inch coating) lava, which appeared to cool relatively quickly while not melting the various pieces of metal.
View attachment 2150176 #1 item 1-1/4" View attachment 2150180 #2 item 1-1/4" View attachment 2150178 #3 item 1" long View attachment 2150179 #4 item 1" long
I'm including four nails of the six we found in 2024. Please give me your thoughts on these items. And Finally, I have a few photos of the nails. I consider these nails to be like finger prints of whatever it belonged to. I have some ideas of these items as well, but I would also like your opinions of the nails I found, when they were made, who made them, and what were they used for. The nails were found in two specific areas in the debris field of lava.

There are two types of nails. The small ones (x4)are exactly one inch long. They seem as if they are close to round near the head (unsure), but are definately a tapered square shaft, and appear to be inconsistant and hand made, but all are tipped (angled bevel) in a similar way and very sharp. I believe these are brass nails. The head of these nails are not round, rather they look as if they are oval, egg or tear drop shapped and all appear to be attached manually to the shaft. The second (x2) pair of nails are much different. They are not quite 1- 1/4" inches long. The head and shaft appear to be cast or molded from a single piece of copper. the head is round, and the edge is rounded. The head is distinct, yet it appears to be thickened where it is cast down to the tappered round shaft. The tips of these nails do not come to a point but appear to be round at the bottom. This is a very unique nail, and I am quite puzzeled by it.

I would like to hear all your thoughts on all or some of the items I've found. View attachment 2150132 View attachment 2150218 View attachment 2150219 View attachment 2150220 View attachment 2150221 View attachment 2150222
You are trolling, a dreamer or a psycopath. Take you pick. 🙂

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JerryJack, please stop insulting members, you came here asking for help, if you dont like a reply, ignore it and move on.

Often members will ask for more pictures to get better idea from pictures from different angles, it is normal...

Upvote 3
OP
OP
J

JerryJack

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2024
Thanks for the additional photos. My uneducated twit opinion now says “are you sure those nails aren’t iron?” The new photos sure look like iron to me. The fact that they haven’t rusted doesn’t necessarily mean they aren’t iron, it just means they weren’t exposed to water and air — which they wouldn’t be if they were encased in rock. Have you tested whether they stick to a magnet?

Who said you were lying? I just said it seemed odd to make a nail out of copper or brass because they are too soft for most things you would have used a nail for back then. But now that you have added the detail that they are only 1/16” wide, I guess they could have been for more decorative purposes.

I wasn’t asking you to prove anything, just to get a better look at the items that you are asking about. To better help identify them. That’s what you posted them for, right? If you’ve already got it all figured out, then why ask for others opinions?
Sorry for being a Jerk. thepost just set me off, in response to my very first post or anything on Treasure NET.

To your question about whether I believe its iron or not... see the response a few paragraphs down.

I don't have it all figured out. By the first message to my post, the first sentence completely discounted the lava encased "pot or cannister" and the hinged device inside the pot. the first reply to my post actually turned the focus of what I was asking completely away from what I was asking.

It said, "I guess I’m not seeing it. The photos of the lava don’t seem noteworthy"

Besides the fact the device was in lava for 200 years, HOW is that not NOTEWORTHY. That is what flipped my switch, after I took the first my first step after EIGHT YEARS of research to generate my FIRST post on this WEBSITE. That was and is still my primary focus of interest, and that is the need I have to identify it. As I said, I "THINK" I know what it is, BUT after 8 years I still haven't been able to verify my thesis of what it actually is. This is the reason I created my very first post to ask iif someone who actually knows what it is to either tell me what it is, or verify what I thought it might be. I didn't want to sway anyone to chase the words in the post down a rabbit hole (clearly that back-fired with the first reply-response), I didn't want to say what my thesis is by stating what I believe the device is. The title of the post was a clue of what I think the device is.

"Gazing at stars, finding time, here I am... What am I"​

This is a clue of what I think the device is, A Marine Chronometer. By using a sextant, in conjunction with a marine chronometer, sailors were able to now identify their precise location on the high seas, whether on the Pacific, or Atlantic, they could now plot their exact location as a measure of latitude, and longitude.

It was intended to generate intrigue (Again-That didn't work) except all the other information I provided which was intended to provide a history of the device I found (including the nails and other CRAP and WRITTEN narrative) failed and my very first response (the reply changed the narrative and perspective of all future readers and crapped all over the most important fact) THIS THING HAD BEEN TRAPPED AND ENCASED IN A LAVA FLOW THAT OCURRED 200 + YEARS AGO....!!! Again, how is the lava not "noteworthy" ?

Yes, all metals and debris was tested with a magnet extraction device (used to separate Ferrous and Non-Ferrous materials). In fact, I also tested it with an Eddie Current device separator. I fabricated it to separate Non-Ferrous metals from non-metal debris such as sand, rocks, wood, plastics, glass, or any other non-metal material. By generating an Eddie Current, the device is able to generate a repelling reaction (with actual Physical movement) of Non-Ferrous metals by moving non-ferrous metal over a magnetic field. It can be an effective way to test non-magnetic (or Non-Ferrous) materials, by separating non-Ferrous materials into two categories.

FOR EXAMPLE, Metal Recycling companies that: shred auto's and other 'white goods' use magnetic head pulleys at the top of a conveyor to first separate all Ferrous materials from the remaining, Auto-Shred-Residue ("ASR"). The "loaded" ASR has equal or greater value compared to the Ferrous metal IF they can extract the remaining non-ferrous metals from the ASR. Once extracted, the precious metals are recycled in bulk at a much higher value than just the Ferrous material.

In the same way Auto Shredding companies such as "Schnitzer Steel" shreds cars and sorts Ferrous Metals, Non-Ferrous (precious metals) and ASR, I extracted the Ferrous metal from the debris, and then sorted the remaining debris into Non-Ferrous metals and non-metal materials.

I have done everything I can without paying for an Archaeometallurgy analysis of the various elements of debris found around the debris field.

Sorry to all those who are offended, this was my first POST to TreasureNet and it will be my last. Clearly, it's not for me, and I'll continue without all the distraction, egos, and rabbit holes. I thought this site would like the back-ground detail, and I wanted to think someone would be helpful, and ask questions to generate dialogue of identifying what it was I was asking. I provided too much detail, and it created an entire flurry of holy-crap rabbit holes. My response didn't help, so I apologize for that. I was so pumped up after 8 years and thought I would make my first post something to discuss. But, my 8 year ballon was completely deflated with a 14 word opening first response. "I guess I’m not seeing it. The photos of the lava don’t seem noteworthy".

THE LAVA FLOW WAS THE ENTIRE POINT OF MY POST... WHAT IS THIS THING THAT HAD BEEN TRAPPED INSIDE A LAVA FLOW FOR 200 YEARS? I have a thesis of what it is, but I want to hear other opinions of what it is, to see if my thesis lines up. I could care less of the nails and other debris I found, because that is NOT WHAT I ASKED to IDENTIFY.

Sorry everyone, but this just isn't for me.

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry for being a Jerk. thepost just set me off, in response to my very first post or anything on Treasure NET.

To your question about whether I believe its iron or not... see the response a few paragraphs down.

I don't have it all figured out. By the first message to my post, the first sentence completely discounted the lava encased "pot or cannister" and the hinged device inside the pot. the first reply to my post actually turned the focus of what I was asking completely away from what I was asking.

It said, "I guess I’m not seeing it. The photos of the lava don’t seem noteworthy"

Besides the fact the device was in lava for 200 years, HOW is that not NOTEWORTHY. That is what flipped my switch, after I took the first my first step after EIGHT YEARS of research to generate my FIRST post on this WEBSITE. That was and is still my primary focus of interest, and that is the need I have to identify it. As I said, I "THINK" I know what it is, BUT after 8 years I still haven't been able to verify my thesis of what it actually is. This is the reason I created my very first post to ask iif someone who actually knows what it is to either tell me what it is, or verify what I thought it might be. I didn't want to sway anyone to chase the words in the post down a rabbit hole (clearly that back-fired with the first reply-response), I didn't want to say what my thesis is by stating what I believe the device is. The title of the post was a clue of what I think the device is.

"Gazing at stars, finding time, here I am... What am I"​

This is a clue of what I think the device is, A Marine Chronometer. By using a sextant, in conjunction with a marine chronometer, sailors were able to now identify their precise location on the high seas, whether on the Pacific, or Atlantic, they could now plot their exact location as a measure of latitude, and longitude.

It was intended to generate intrigue (Again-That didn't work) except all the other information I provided which was intended to provide a history of the device I found (including the nails and other CRAP and WRITTEN narrative) failed and my very first response (the reply changed the narrative and perspective of all future readers and crapped all over the most important fact) THIS THING HAD BEEN TRAPPED AND ENCASED IN A LAVA FLOW THAT OCURRED 200 + YEARS AGO....!!! Again, how is the lava not "noteworthy" ?

Yes, all metals and debris was tested with a magnet extraction device (used to separate Ferrous and Non-Ferrous materials). In fact, I also tested it with an Eddie Current device separator. I fabricated it to separate Non-Ferrous metals from non-metal debris such as sand, rocks, wood, plastics, glass, or any other non-metal material. By generating an Eddie Current, the device is able to generate a repelling reaction (with actual Physical movement) of Non-Ferrous metals by moving non-ferrous metal over a magnetic field. It can be an effective way to test non-magnetic (or Non-Ferrous) materials, by separating non-Ferrous materials into two categories.

FOR EXAMPLE, Metal Recycling companies that: shred auto's and other 'white goods' use magnetic head pulleys at the top of a conveyor to first separate all Ferrous materials from the remaining, Auto-Shred-Residue ("ASR"). The "loaded" ASR has equal or greater value compared to the Ferrous metal IF they can extract the remaining non-ferrous metals from the ASR. Once extracted, the precious metals are recycled in bulk at a much higher value than just the Ferrous material.

In the same way Auto Shredding companies such as "Schnitzer Steel" shreds cars and sorts Ferrous Metals, Non-Ferrous (precious metals) and ASR, I extracted the Ferrous metal from the debris, and then sorted the remaining debris into Non-Ferrous metals and non-metal materials.

I have done everything I can without paying for an Archaeometallurgy analysis of the various elements of debris found around the debris field.

Sorry to all those who are offended, this was my first POST to TreasureNet and it will be my last. Clearly, it's not for me, and I'll continue without all the distraction, egos, and rabbit holes. I thought this site would like the back-ground detail, and I wanted to think someone would be helpful, and ask questions to generate dialogue of identifying what it was I was asking. I provided too much detail, and it created an entire flurry of holy-crap rabbit holes. My response didn't help, so I apologize for that. I was so pumped up after 8 years and thought I would make my first post something to discuss. But, my 8 year ballon was completely deflated with a 14 word opening first response. "I guess I’m not seeing it. The photos of the lava don’t seem noteworthy".

THE LAVA FLOW WAS THE ENTIRE POINT OF MY POST... WHAT IS THIS THING THAT HAD BEEN TRAPPED INSIDE A LAVA FLOW FOR 200 YEARS? I have a thesis of what it is, but I want to hear other opinions of what it is, to see if my thesis lines up. I could care less of the nails and other debris I found, because that is NOT WHAT I ASKED to IDENTIFY.

Sorry everyone, but this just isn't for me.
The pink mechanical thing is a 200 plus year old chronometer?
Dude , put down the pipe!
picture1-jpg.2150132

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JerryJack

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2024
I probably don't know what I am talking about, but if hot lava flowed over this piece wouldn't have melted?
I'm sorry, I don't know how to answer your question to justify your logical conclusion. I can only say, the photo shows this item did not melt and it was covered by a minimum of 18 inches above it, unknown, but likely 2 feet below (of lava flow) beneath it, and anywhere from 4 feet to unlimited distance (Horizontally) all the way around including to the original source of the lava. I asked myself the same question. But clearly its possible. I learned that flowing lava can reach a temperature range of 1200 to 2200 degrees F. This flow of lava is precisely at sea level, and the pot-device was at least a foot below that, depending on the tide. Im assuming it cooled somewhat, because of the Salt Water. Depending on the material it was encased with, the metals could have easily survived under the right conditions. This had to have been the case here considering... There it is in full view of the photo.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread