"Challenge For Superstition Gold"

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
somehiker,

In 1964 while Clarence O. Mitchell (Travis Marlowe) was writing his book, Superstition Treasures, he copied Challenge For Superstition Gold the manuscript written by Travis Tumlinson.
Mitchell copied it from the papers of Daisy Tarrence.

You are correct, there are copies of Challenge For Superstition Gold floating around.

At a Dutch hunters rendezvous several years back RG made the claim he had the sole copyright to the Travis manuscript and anyone who tried to publish it or post it would be sued.
I told him that was nice, I had no interest in the manuscript other than having read it and asked him what he proposed to do about the copies that were in the public's hands from 40-50 years ago.

He said he would sue anyone who tried to publish or post it.
Not so sure it works that way but I had no interest in it so let him go on.
RG was trying his hardest to control the Travis Tumlinson story/narrative but had a definite problem in that the Tumlinson family was not the only people involved in the story.

A quick search of the copyright database shows that there is no existing copyright for "Challenge for Superstition Gold."

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A quick search of the copyright database shows that there is no existing copyright for "Challenge for Superstition Gold."

AS dave has told us, Ryan told people what he wanted them to believe. The family too.
Just like he said that Travis did....."to throw people off".

Without a title, how would anyone even know they were violating a copyright registered within the database ?

Last edited:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Copyright protection does not require it to be registered to be in effect - the copyright exists from the moment the author puts the correct copyright symbol or a close approximation and the date, along with the name of the person claiming copyright. It used to be required to be registered but that requirement was removed some years ago.

A person trying to claim a copyright on something authored by someone else years previously, with a number of copies of said manuscript already in circulation for years as well, would have quite an uphill fight trying to establish a case in court. It is clear (to the law) that the original owner of the copyright was not enforcing any rights or he (or she) would not have been passing around copies for others to read and or use. Not saying RG would automatically lose, but it sure looks that way.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Copyright protection does not require it to be registered to be in effect - the copyright exists from the moment the author puts the correct copyright symbol or a close approximation and the date, along with the name of the person claiming copyright. It used to be required to be registered but that requirement was removed some years ago.

A person trying to claim a copyright on something authored by someone else years previously, with a number of copies of said manuscript already in circulation for years as well, would have quite an uphill fight trying to establish a case in court. It is clear (to the law) that the original owner of the copyright was not enforcing any rights or he (or she) would not have been passing around copies for others to read and or use. Not saying RG would automatically lose, but it sure looks that way.

Roy,

The database would reflect someone's attempt to file copyright, and the result of such actions.

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry wayne but you will have to figure that out on your own...you and your pal deducer have been hammering everyone here for proof the doorstops are fake but you refuse to provide any proof they are real...if you could just provide one (1)..just one instance where those rocks have led to a treasure your words would carry alot more weight...otherwise you fit into the category of the hundreds of others before you that thought they had the rocks figured out and produced nothing...just sayin :dontknow:

And whom around here is demanding proof that the stones lead to something...Heck...I have the proof in my possession but I won't share it with anyone else, due to the fact that I have already shared it with others...I don't care IF anyone believes me or not...Especially anyone around here...

Ed T

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
And whom around here is demanding proof that the stones lead to something...Heck...I have the proof in my possession but I won't share it with anyone else, due to the fact that I have already shared it with others...I don't care IF anyone believes me or not...Especially anyone around here...

Ed T
ed....we dont believe you...lol

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Copyright does not need to have a c within a circle Oro...Almost anything that a person posts that is an original thought from someone on a site can be considered copyrighted... https://www.disabled-world.com/definitions/online-copywrite-materials.php As you know there is "fair use" ... With the internet...One must be careful what one posts...

I could be wrong...But I have posted many many poems online...And all of them are in the public domain...I believe that I own the copyright on all of said poems but they are all in the public domain and they may be used under the "fair use" principle...As long as people do not go out and publish any of my works in books they can't get into trouble...I really don't mind anyone using them...Oh well...I am just saying...Copyright has evolved due to the internet...

Ed T

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Roy,

The database would reflect someone's attempt to file copyright, and the result of such actions.
as i said..you would have to know the name of the individual that filed for copyright to find it...it is definitely copyrighted

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ed....we dont believe you...lol

Oh well dave...Believe what you will...I will not give you any of the ore that is from the area I believe is depicted in the PSM's...lol

Ed T

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Oh well dave...Believe what you will...I will not give you any of the ore that is from the area I believe is depicted in the PSM's...lol

Ed T
ed,,i dont really want any of your ore...i got enough of my own i'm working on ...lol..i was just offering it to you as a favor as i would anyone on this forum

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ed,,i dont really want any of your ore...i got enough of my own i'm working on ...lol..i was just offering it to you as a favor as i would anyone on this forum

Thanks...But no thanks dave...

I have always believed that the proof is in the pudding...And I believe that I have the pudding...

And the stones will only lead to divorce and financial ruin IF one lets them lead to such...

Ed T

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

From https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/public-domain/welcome/

Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 6.27.26 AM.png
Click on screenshot for easier reading. It seems like a fair case could be made that the work could be considered to be in the public domain and used freely. I'm no lawyer - draw your own conclusions, but if copies of the work were held by folks other than the writer, then it was apparently self-published and in circulation, it seems.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Why are you talking politics on this thread? If you want to discuss political issues, set up another post. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Well said Mr. Davis.

Not sure if you check your messages on here, I sent you one a few weeks back. Also tried to reach you through the museum. Have a couple of items of business I'd like to discuss if your time and circumstances permit.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wasn't asking about the Lost Dutchman specifically, nor was the conversation about it's truthfulness. I was interested in a book about the Peralta Stones...

Jeremy Schiller is living the “American Dream.” At 42, Jeremy owns a successful contracting business and has a wonderful family. He is also a serious gold and treasure hunter who has researched and prospected for over 20-years. Although he describes his greatest treasures as his wife of 17-years and their two little girls, Jeremy may have solved one of America’s greatest lost treasure mysteries - the key to the famed Superstition Mountain “Peralta Stones,” and how to read them.

The Peralta Stones are two 8” x 14” x 2” sandstone tablets, and a heart-shaped rock made of quartzite. The stone blocks, which bear the date 1847, are carved with symbols, lines, and dots. When they are placed side by side, and the stone heart is inserted into the indentation in one of the tablets, they become a map to the lost Peralta gold mines throughout the Superstition Mountains.

“I have a theory on how to understand the Peralta Stones,” says Schiller, “which I’ve tested through extensive research and boots on the ground in Arizona.” Most researchers have focused on the symbols carved into the stone tablets, but Jeremy believes the key to understanding them is in the geography of the Superstition Mountains themselves. “I stopped trying to understand the symbols and concentrated on the geography and topography depicted on the stones,” explains Schiller. “My photographic evidence alone convinced me I’m reading the stones correctly.”

Mr. Schiller plans to write a book about his discovery and is exploring the possibility of creating a reality television series, taking viewers on weekly adventures in search of the fabled Peralta gold mines depicted on the stones. The most famous of the lost Peralta mines, is rumored to be the “Lost Dutchman’s Gold Mine,” discovered by the infamous Jacob Waltz in the 1880s. ###

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Roy,

Read this:
When is my work protected?
Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

From -> https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html

The database could not show a copyright that someone didn't bother to file for registration. Even so, the copyright is still considered intact and legal, but would need registration to have any chance in court.

Really Arthur you seem to be misreading or reading more into things than is there more often lately.

What does politics have to do with this, and isn't that supposed to be taboo in this section of the forum? Don't assume everyone agrees with you in polyticks.

POLITICS - origin of term, from the ancient Greek word "POLY" meaning "many" and TICKS referring to small fat blood sucking vermin.

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Read this:

From -> https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html

The database could not show a copyright that someone didn't bother to file for registration. Even so, the copyright is still considered intact and legal, but would need registration to have any chance in court.

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:
This would only apply to the original author of the work, in this case RG would not have a valid claim unless the work was registered and legally sold or transfered.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
This would only apply to the original author of the work, in this case RG would not have a valid claim unless the work was registered and legally sold or transfered.

Correct. RG is not the original author, so he doesn't have the ability to claim copyright without registration.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread