Attachments

• AA0B6785-A85A-4331-BB59-F42D88DC5C56.png
    AA0B6785-A85A-4331-BB59-F42D88DC5C56.png
    403.8 KB · Views: 36

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
The lanyard holder was part of the screw on cap.
Those are the older models that tend to be more faulty. But a potential fix for the short range problem was to seat the coil that was not put in all the way at the factory. You slap downward the probe tip to the palm of your hands, or a gentle tap to a solid surface. Be careful the winding is around a ferrite rod (like an am radio), and these rods can be fragile.

They should detect a BB sized ball of foil at the tip, and if not repeat.

Newer models after that can have that problem (some do/don't). Some get stuck on signaling after object taken away. I have a feeling it might be an out of adjustment tuner pot, but I don't know.

I do know the one I researched, and purchased came out of the box better than I expected. If I do submerge it, it's going to be in a ziplock freezer bag (it looks waterproof as advertised) because it needs love. :love4:

Edit: I should have clicked on your pic because that's looks like a model maybe after the model I was talking about. I just avoided all models that have laynard holders on the cap.

Here's what I identify as early models that they still sell (ring where cap screws in):

Attachments

• 953b8e76-0673-478a-8df5-715ab64283dd_1.483f79025d1410befa671625d4fdd31f.jpeg
    953b8e76-0673-478a-8df5-715ab64283dd_1.483f79025d1410befa671625d4fdd31f.jpeg
    17.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

treasureguy56

Mar 31, 2019
Half way Between Perry and Owosso Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210 , Tesoro Golden Sabre , CZ5 , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did use one of the Chinese Brands ( paid 20 some dollars for it and it lasted 2 seasons plus ) . I have moved on to the real thing ( The Garret ) , I must admit there is a difference in quality and functionality . All that being said , it wasnt that bad considering the price difference . I am glad I have the Garret , but I've kept the off shoots as back-ups .
Al

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out with this guy that had on and he kept telling me how good it was and how he saved over $100 bucks and how dumb I was to give Garrett that much money sooo I got a good target and asked to try his Chinese ripoff , he handed it to me and I stood up and whipped as far as I could ..I think he's still looking for it and he don't want to go out with me again...lucky me

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out with this guy that had on and he kept telling me how good it was and how he saved over $100 bucks and how dumb I was to give Garrett that much money sooo I got a good target and asked to try his Chinese ripoff , he handed it to me and I stood up and whipped as far as I could ..I think he's still looking for it and he don't want to go out with me again...lucky me
OK OK ......I may have embellished a bit.... ahhh A LOT.. it never actually happened . The thing is if you keep sending your cash for chinese rip offs before you know it our American company's will disappear and all we will have is chinese crap . If it wasn't for Garrett , whites and tesoro l probably wouldn't have found all that I have. These fine company's were always good to me and when I see these chinese ripoff I just want to use them for target practice...I feel better now..

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
I got curious of my cheap PP's ability at waterproofness. I filled a five gallon buck with water, and since the water was cold I put my PP in the fridge (did not want to risk pressure/temp difference).

After the PP chilled I put it in the bottom of the bucket for 2.5 hours. Before I completely removed the PP I thrashed it around in the water for about 10 seconds. Then I accidently turned it on forgeting the battery was in it, and it fried because of complete ingress of water. J/K

Any before I put it in the fridge I put a wad of toilet paper into the inner most battery holder with some tuffs sticking out into the cap area (making sure not to interfere with threads). When I took it out of the bucket I thoroughly wiped the outside dry with a towel so no outside water gets in as I unscrew the cap. I opened it to see there was visible water (though minor) admissioned in the threading. The inside cap was dry, the tissue was dry in the battery holder, but the outside facing the cap was mildly damp.

I have teflon tape on the threads, but not on thick. I closed the cap finger tight. I fear of wrenching it on even though it does compress the o-ring more, but I'm babying it. I can get silicone for around the o-ring, but if I do actually bring it in the water it will either be momentary (rinse, or shallows), or in a zip lock freezer bag aka Trojan (don't use lambskin).

If my Far East pointer helps to make some good finds? Then I'll holster, or sling a Nokta Mini Hoarde as my pinpointer. This way when people see me they'll know right away that I'm an expert. And I have a PP for loan, or as backup.

Sorry for blurry pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20220519_010303.jpg
    IMG_20220519_010303.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20220519_031410.jpg
    IMG_20220519_031410.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20220519_031505.jpg
    IMG_20220519_031505.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 34

Top Member Reactions