What's new

Checkout the flaking on this one.

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went all day but didnt find any great things. Pottery and a piece of a stone bowl. My friend found this Heart Stopper but it is broken but checkout the flaking on it. I know it would of been a great one and he was nice enough to give it to me. By the inclusions in the stone I do believe it is Hematite and also the weight of it. Maybe next time a whole one will surface. HH, rock
 

Attachments

  • 100_4380.webp
    100_4380.webp
    144.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 100_4382.webp
    100_4382.webp
    153 KB · Views: 153
  • 100_4386.webp
    100_4386.webp
    142.7 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 0
You find some wacky stuff.
What do you think that was?...or was going to be?
Hematite?
I didn't know it flaked glossy like that.
I know it polishes well.


ForumRunner_20131021_194218.webp
Hematite

I know this is probably the last thing you want to hear... but I think the inclusions look iron like because it's slag again.
Mabey someone knapped on it.. but I actually think its a piece of slag.
What ever happened to that spot you found like three points in one day?
 
Last edited:
Nice piece boss great find in my eyes !!!
 
I agree with the iron. I think it's slag. Pretty much what Gator already stated. I can see the yellow tint around the edges, where light is penetrating the thin spots. Glass that has been run over and weathered just looks worked. I still pick some glass out of fields and send Gator pics. Just for reinforcement. Gator is the only person that I know, cyber personally, that has found worked glass. Cyber personally..... Wow! That's a pretty wild trip, huh?
 
Its not glass this was a different creek. I have found worked Hematite before.
 

Attachments

  • 100_2358.webp
    100_2358.webp
    97.9 KB · Views: 118
I agree with the iron. I think it's slag. Pretty much what Gator already stated. I can see the yellow tint around the edges, where light is penetrating the thin spots. Glass that has been run over and weathered just looks worked. I still pick some glass out of fields and send Gator pics. Just for reinforcement. Gator is the only person that I know, cyber personally, that has found worked glass. Cyber personally..... Wow! That's a pretty wild trip, huh?
haha I like this
 
Hematite is a type of iron
 
Signs of flaking on the edges but not sure what they were trying to make. Scraper maybe?
 
Hematite is a type of iron

Hematite is iron rich, no question. I didn't think it would flake so elegantly. In fact, I thought it was pecked, ground and polished for the most part. The second post with a pic. Is a different piece, right?
 
Hematite is iron rich, no question. I didn't think it would flake so elegantly. In fact, I thought it was pecked, ground and polished for the most part. The second post with a pic. Is a different piece, right?

Yes I found the 2nd piece last yr in a different creek area. All these creeks end up in the river one way or another.
 
Signs of flaking on the edges but not sure what they were trying to make. Scraper maybe?

Very possible it has some damage on both sides of it. Might of been thrown away due to the inclusions or used just like it is. I thought it was cool looking.
Thanks
 
Now dont get me wrong I have found slag in all the creeks around me here. The white through me off last week but most comes dark so GB is correct on the color but I do know the weight on this piece is very heavy like Hematite now it could also be iron ore which is another natural source here. Its also very heavy. But I do know it isnt slag.
 
The second piece is not hematite either.. sorry bro.
Hematite is iron ore.
It does chip.. but does not flake glossy like that.. and it is either red black grey..or a mix.
Zero light will pass through it.
See the difference.


attachment-3.webp



attachment-4.webp



ForumRunner_20131021_210433.webp



ForumRunner_20131021_211106.webp

"Cyberpersonally ?!?" Haha.. I know I'm going to find a good use for that word at some point.
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20131021_210742.webp
    ForumRunner_20131021_210742.webp
    66.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
The 2 I posted are stone of some type. I was told Hematite on the 2nd one.
 
I'll go with stone..
Not hematite though.
Sure looks like slag.
 
I agree with the iron. I think it's slag. Pretty much what Gator already stated. I can see the yellow tint around the edges, where light is penetrating the thin spots. Glass that has been run over and weathered just looks worked. I still pick some glass out of fields and send Gator pics. Just for reinforcement. Gator is the only person that I know, cyber personally, that has found worked glass. Cyber personally..... Wow! That's a pretty wild trip, huh?
............we have found worked glass
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom