Cherry Picking Morgans/Peaces

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent hunt for awhile due to a health condition but I never stopped looking.

Today was at a jewelry shop, guy has bags full tubes of silver dollars for $30 a piece.

I checked a couple and saw a semi-key date (only realized it on feebay after I left). After I left and checked feebay, its worth more than $30 on feebay.

The problem is I cant remember the dates without bring me a redbook or a list.

Should I walk in with a list of semi-key and key date or the redbook and ask the guy to let me pick? Is that too obvious for cherrypicking?

What should I say when he askes me about the list? (in additional to my "fill up my dasco album" line)

Upvote 0

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
GEOFF said:
I havent hunt for awhile due to a health condition but I never stopped looking.

Today was at a jewelry shop, guy has bags full tubes of silver dollars for $30 a piece.

I checked a couple and saw a semi-key date (only realized it on feebay after I left). After I left and checked feebay, its worth more than $30 on feebay.

The problem is I cant remember the dates without bring me a redbook or a list.

Should I walk in with a list of semi-key and key date or the redbook and ask the guy to let me pick? Is that too obvious for cherrypicking?

What should I say when he askes me about the list? (in additional to my "fill up my dasco album" line)

I would just say you we're trying to fill a coin album. That's what I would do. I don't think you should elaborate any more than that. What coin is it?

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what I would do:

Bring in your redbook/printed list from online, with some common dates highlighted or crossed off (coins you're definitely not interested in). Then show that, say you're looking to fill out your collection more, and ask to sort. That way you can cherry pick without being obvious, and walk away happy.

Remember eBay's pricing though, expect about 20% loss when all fees from eBay and paypal are done.

OP
OP
GEOFF

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just say you we're trying to fill a coin album. That's what I would do. I don't think you should elaborate any more than that. What coin is it?

IF i remembered correctly from 4 hours ago, it was a 1893O

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have most of the keys of other series remembered, but the barbers and morgans I just cannot remember. I have a list on my phone of what I need, I've told my dealer it's just a list of coins I need for my albums (which is true, lol) and he doesn't give a crap.

OP
OP
GEOFF

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what I would do:

Bring in your redbook/printed list from online, with some common dates highlighted or crossed off (coins you're definitely not interested in). Then show that, say you're looking to fill out your collection more, and ask to sort. That way you can cherry pick without being obvious, and walk away happy.

Remember eBay's pricing though, expect about 20% loss when all fees from eBay and paypal are done.

Its about ~14%, shipping exclusive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread