What's new

Chippes axes, anyone?

GTK96

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2012
Messages
392
Reaction score
158
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
Who else has a few? I'd love to see them..
 

Attachments

  • image-2124603894.webp
    image-2124603894.webp
    48.3 KB · Views: 150
  • image-913367216.webp
    image-913367216.webp
    45.5 KB · Views: 153
  • image-2648196035.webp
    image-2648196035.webp
    43.2 KB · Views: 145
  • image-1536880976.webp
    image-1536880976.webp
    32.6 KB · Views: 148
Upvote 0
Chipped**
 
I have one Guilford axe from North Carolina.

ForumRunner_20130208_171238.webp
 
Does this one count? It's a hard stone Celt with a chipped bit.
 

Attachments

  • image-209193090.webp
    image-209193090.webp
    47 KB · Views: 139
I don't think so.. 8-)
A small chert one from Florida.

ForumRunner_20130208_193054.webp



ForumRunner_20130208_193653.webp
 
Wouldn't you call that a knife or small adze?
 
I think small ads would fit.. just working with what I've got. it's thick for its size and completely flaked on both faces to form one bulbous end beveled from both sides.
 
Here's a Woodland chipped axe. It is exactly the same size and shape as our local shell adzes. Not a preform
chippedcelt-2.jpg

chippedcelt-1.jpg
 
Sure is.. nice one!
 
Just found this thirst. Full grooveIMAG3834.webp
 
I dont know if I have any like those but they are good ones. Thanks for the views everyone.
 
Interesting pieces and subject, GTK96. I think I have a few pieces that might qualify. Not sure about this thing, maybe a chipped axe, or adze. What do you folks think?
105078d1344983311-artifact-dsc_8983-800x532-.jpg
105080d1344983387-artifact-dsc_8992-800x532-.jpg
105081d1344983422-artifact-dsc_8994-800x532-.jpg
105079d1344983335-artifact-dsc_8984-800x532-.jpg
 
theviking said:
Interesting pieces and subject, GTK96. I think I have a few pieces that might qualify. Not sure about this thing, maybe a chipped axe, or adze. What do you folks think?

Looks like they banged on it one way or another...I spend about half the time hunting trying to decide whether or not I have anything at all that is an artifact. Cool either way though
 
Hey thanks, GTK96. Found this one in a creek nearby. This one looks like a possible adze form, or something.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_9652 (800x532).webp
    DSC_9652 (800x532).webp
    34.1 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC_9651 (800x532).webp
    DSC_9651 (800x532).webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC_9650 (800x532).webp
    DSC_9650 (800x532).webp
    36.5 KB · Views: 93
Here are some crude choppers/axes/adzes. I found the one below the dollar Monday. I cleaned it in the second picture it looks like a decent little adze. I ran out and got it out of the bed of my truck just for you guys,lol. Glad I did. I am liking its creek patina.

100_4163.webp


100_4168.webp

HH
TnMtns
 
Nice! That sure beats the truck patina.
 
theviking said:
Hey thanks, GTK96. Found this one in a creek nearby. This one looks like a possible adze form, or something.

That's a sweet adze! Most of the ones I find look like that, good one!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom