What's new

Civil War badge?

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2010
Messages
3,214
Reaction score
1,770
Golden Thread
2
Location
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Found at a colonial house.Very little patina.It has a redish color like nickle under what looks like enamel.
Anchor with hope is the Rhode Island flag..I found it in RI.
Has a man wearing a frock coat on the other side..
Looks Civil War era..Maybe a shoulder medal?
John
 

Attachments

  • medal 001.webp
    medal 001.webp
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,381
  • medal 002.webp
    medal 002.webp
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,278
  • medal 001.webp
    medal 001.webp
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,195
  • medal 002.webp
    medal 002.webp
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,147
Hi johnny, what are it's dimensions.
 
Upvote 0
It is 1 1/2 wide by 2 inches tall.
I was told it looked like a watch fob but it definately is military...
I think
John
 
Upvote 0
My guess is that man might be Oliver Hazard Perry - he was born in Rhode Island

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Hazard_Perry

Oliver_Perry.jpg


Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry (August 23, 1785 – August 23, 1819) was born in South Kingstown, Rhode Island, the son of Captain Christopher Raymond Perry and Sarah Wallace Alexander, and a direct descendant of William Wallace.[1] He was an older brother to Commodore Matthew Calbraith Perry who compelled the opening of Japan to the West by threat of force. As a boy, he lived in South Carolina, sailing ships practicing for his future career as an officer in the US Navy. He served in the War of 1812 against Britain, and at the age of 27 earned the title "Hero of Lake Erie" for leading American forces in a decisive naval victory at the Battle of Lake Erie.[1]
 
Upvote 0
Maybey this :icon_scratch:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_(ship)

Click where it says hope(ship)

Dang links :laughing7:

Soup
 
Upvote 0
Bramblefind said:
My guess is that man might be Oliver Hazard Perry - he was born in Rhode Island

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Hazard_Perry

Oliver_Perry.jpg


Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry (August 23, 1785 – August 23, 1819) was born in South Kingstown, Rhode Island, the son of Captain Christopher Raymond Perry and Sarah Wallace Alexander, and a direct descendant of William Wallace.[1] He was an older brother to Commodore Matthew Calbraith Perry who compelled the opening of Japan to the West by threat of force. As a boy, he lived in South Carolina, sailing ships practicing for his future career as an officer in the US Navy. He served in the War of 1812 against Britain, and at the age of 27 earned the title "Hero of Lake Erie" for leading American forces in a decisive naval victory at the Battle of Lake Erie.[1]

Nice...
I look at that coat on him with all those buttons and think...Those are the buttons we are finding today...
John
 
Upvote 0
With it being double sided I would say it's a fob also. The style of the Anchor and HOPE is not in configuration (historically) with the style of dress worn by the person depicted on the other side. That style of Rhode Is. Flag or emblem or seal wasn't used before 1913 (with hope under the anchor and the anchor not fouled) in any example I can find. The double breasted frock coat with epaulets is more in common with a naval dress style popular in the 1800's and even earlier to colonial times. So there is a conflict of a time period in between the two sides, which is another reason i'm thinking fob and not medal. I am torn between the figure being either Oliver Hazard Perry or Commodore Matthew Perry in his youger years. I'm kinda leaning towards Oliver though also now that I took a second look. Its a nice find and I hope we can nail it down for you.





Commodore Matthew Perry

matthewperry2.webp
 
Upvote 0
Good info Diggummup :icon_thumleft: I was just researching Oliver Hazard Perry and found that there was a monument dedicated to him in Newport, RI in 1885. I was thinking maybe this fob was to commemorate that. I'm not sure if that fits with the time period the Anchor/Hope symbols were used but I just went to try to find info on the Rhode Island flag and found this-

The Rhode Island State Flag

Though adopted in 1879, the Rhode Island State Flag was only the third of the original thirteen colonies to officially sanction a state banner. New York and New Jersey had adopted official banners two years earlier in 1876.

ri_fi.gif


Almost 90 years after Rhode Island became the last of the original thirteen colonies to form a union, the General Assembly of the state adopted an official design for a state flag. The colors and design of the flag date back to colonial times and the original establishment of Rhode Island and the Providence Plantations under King Charles II of England. The most prominent feature of the flag, the anchor, dates back to 1647 and the Cromwellian Patent of 1643 when the Providence Plantations were established. Later, when a more liberal charter was bestowed upon the colony, the anchor was again chosen for the seal and the word "HOPE" was added.

The colors, white and blue, were flown during the American Revolution, the War of 1812 and the Mexican War. The thirteen stars representing the original thirteen colonies were also displayed on flags flown by the Continental Regiments during the Revolution.

Todays flag is much the same flag that was adopted in 1897. Centered on the white field is an anchor surrounded by thirteen stars. Below the Anchor is a blue ribbon that displays the word "HOPE", the state motto.
 
Upvote 0
diggummup said:
With it being double sided I would say it's a fob also. The style of the Anchor and HOPE is not in configuration (historically) with the style of dress worn by the person depicted on the other side. That style of Rhode Is. Flag or emblem or seal wasn't used before 1913 (with hope under the anchor and the anchor not fouled) in any example I can find. The double breasted frock coat with epaulets is more in common with a naval dress style popular in the 1800's and even earlier to colonial times. So there is a conflict of a time period in between the two sides, which is another reason i'm thinking fob and not medal. I am torn between the figure being either Oliver Hazard Perry or Commodore Matthew Perry in his youger years. I'm kinda leaning towards Oliver though also now that I took a second look. Its a nice find and I hope we can nail it down for you.





Commodore Matthew Perry


Could be Matthew and maybe"hope" relating to his trip to Japan and all that led up to (and after) the Treaty of Kanagawa. I thought Hope might have been a ship but I haven't found a solid hit on that. (or maybe no special meaning other than hope) Interesting find for sure!

From my quick searches it sounds like Matthew is the more historical figure? Yes, no, maybe?
 
Upvote 0
Sailing out of Newport, Rhode Island the Hope was involved in bringing Africans to the United States to be sold as slaves as part of the Middle Passage.In 1765, the brig was under the command of Captain Nathaniel Mumford.On March 17, 1765 a revolt occurred on the ship:

A ship named Hope...

Soup
 
Upvote 0
Bramblefind said:
Good info Diggummup :icon_thumleft: I was just researching Oliver Hazard Perry and found that there was a monument dedicated to him in Newport, RI in 1885. I was thinking maybe this fob was to commemorate that. I'm not sure if that fits with the time period the Anchor/Hope symbols were used but I just went to try to find info on the Rhode Island flag and found this-

The Rhode Island State Flag

Though adopted in 1879, the Rhode Island State Flag was only the third of the original thirteen colonies to officially sanction a state banner. New York and New Jersey had adopted official banners two years earlier in 1876.

ri_fi.gif


Almost 90 years after Rhode Island became the last of the original thirteen colonies to form a union, the General Assembly of the state adopted an official design for a state flag. The colors and design of the flag date back to colonial times and the original establishment of Rhode Island and the Providence Plantations under King Charles II of England. The most prominent feature of the flag, the anchor, dates back to 1647 and the Cromwellian Patent of 1643 when the Providence Plantations were established. Later, when a more liberal charter was bestowed upon the colony, the anchor was again chosen for the seal and the word "HOPE" was added.

The colors, white and blue, were flown during the American Revolution, the War of 1812 and the Mexican War. The thirteen stars representing the original thirteen colonies were also displayed on flags flown by the Continental Regiments during the Revolution.

Todays flag is much the same flag that was adopted in 1897. Centered on the white field is an anchor surrounded by thirteen stars. Below the Anchor is a blue ribbon that displays the word "HOPE", the state motto.


WEll there's my answer. ;D

So I'll go back to thinking it's the first dude, looks more like him. But I sure can't find a thing on a watch fob!
 
Upvote 0
Looks like it could have hung from a shoulder maybe..
A frock coat is civil war era i believe..I found 1 in my book.
John
 
Upvote 0
johnnyblaze said:
Looks like it could have hung from a shoulder maybe..
A frock coat is civil war era i believe..I found 1 in my book.
John


Would have to see a picture but everything about that says (commemorative) watch fob, no it screams it. And nothing says military, especially early 19th century.
 
Upvote 0
Actually I'm holding the medal up to the picture of Oliver and it is identical to the picture..
Even the hair..
Maybe some kind of commemorative for him
 
Upvote 0
Here is my source for the Rhode Island Symbols & Emblems-

http://tinyurl.com/23mj94k

Iron Patch said:
Bramblefind said:
Good info Diggummup :icon_thumleft: I was just researching Oliver Hazard Perry and found that there was a monument dedicated to him in Newport, RI in 1885. I was thinking maybe this fob was to commemorate that. I'm not sure if that fits with the time period the Anchor/Hope symbols were used but I just went to try to find info on the Rhode Island flag and found this-

The Rhode Island State Flag

Though adopted in 1879, the Rhode Island State Flag was only the third of the original thirteen colonies to officially sanction a state banner. New York and New Jersey had adopted official banners two years earlier in 1876.

ri_fi.gif


Almost 90 years after Rhode Island became the last of the original thirteen colonies to form a union, the General Assembly of the state adopted an official design for a state flag. The colors and design of the flag date back to colonial times and the original establishment of Rhode Island and the Providence Plantations under King Charles II of England. The most prominent feature of the flag, the anchor, dates back to 1647 and the Cromwellian Patent of 1643 when the Providence Plantations were established. Later, when a more liberal charter was bestowed upon the colony, the anchor was again chosen for the seal and the word "HOPE" was added.

The colors, white and blue, were flown during the American Revolution, the War of 1812 and the Mexican War. The thirteen stars representing the original thirteen colonies were also displayed on flags flown by the Continental Regiments during the Revolution.

Todays flag is much the same flag that was adopted in 1897. Centered on the white field is an anchor surrounded by thirteen stars. Below the Anchor is a blue ribbon that displays the word "HOPE", the state motto.


WEll there's my answer. ;D

So I'll go back to thinking it's the first dude, looks more like him. But I sure can't find a thing on a watch fob!
Yeah I seen that too, but I figured there aren't any stars depicted so maybe it's not actually the flag and it's more like the state coat of arms because of the border on it
arms1913.webp. I don't know????
 
Upvote 0
Hey guys after looking more closely on the edge it reads "Gorham Co".
 
Upvote 0
Still looks like a watch fob, but there is some "hope" for a medal. (well not really :)) I believe I seen watch fobs by that company, at least I was getting watch related hits.... but now there's no question you will be able to get an ID. (well match it, seems pretty obvious what it is now)

http://www.stacks.com/Lot/ItemDetail/146438
 
Upvote 0
Gorham is a Rhode Island company and still in business today. I've emailed them for further assistance. Here is there phone number- 1-800-446-7426
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom