Dec 16, 2004
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab 705
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went detecting in Kimble County, TX a few days ago....itturned out to be a great day! The site was supposedly used as a beef processing lot during the civil war. A family member found an 1853 dime last year with two holes in it. I've detected the area before but this time expanded my search area. I managed to find an 1854 O dime and it also has two holes in it. The area is also a very extensive indian camp site that my family has been working a little bit at a time over the past couple years. I found a nice flake point that they missed because it went through the table screen. Finally, I scored what looks like a civil war belt buckle. I'm still researching the buckle but it appears to be an 1851enlisted soldier's buckle. It was bent when I found it, so I'm glad I didn't cause furtherdamage.

Added a couple pictures of the other things from the area as well as the trash that I dug from this hunt.

Attachments

• Buckle.jpg
    Buckle.jpg
    634.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Buckle2.jpg
    Buckle2.jpg
    673.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Arrow Head and Dime.jpg
    Arrow Head and Dime.jpg
    593.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Shell Casings.jpg
    Shell Casings.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
  • Trash.jpg
    Trash.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
Upvote 22

Radon

Oct 4, 2006
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Nox 800
Nice finds! Two double-holed coins at one site? Maybe from a necklace or bracelet? I'd like to see the buckle cleaned up.

OP
OP
D

DeadLizard7

Dec 16, 2004
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab 705
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told that people used to sew coins into their clothes not to lose them. They very well could have been used for decoration.

All I have done so far is some soap and water on the buckle, any suggestions?

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great hunt for you. I hope you can get the Buckle cleaned up a bit and give us a better look at it. Thats a super find. GL on restoration if you do get it straightened up some.
Also, nice point and seated. Excellent finds.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Buckle are you going to try to straighten it out or do you leave it as is either way really cool plus the coins with 2 holes are nice necklace most likely great finds and post keep em coming

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a nice buckle. That is a great military find. It looks like the one I found about 10 years ago, except mine is stamped brass not cast. See my Avatar.

nkellam22

Feb 9, 2019
Western Europe
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was told that people used to sew coins into their clothes not to lose them. They very well could have been used for decoration.

All I have done so far is some soap and water on the buckle, any suggestions?

I would spend some time with a blunt toothpick flaking away the dirt and seal it with some renaissance wax.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds- Congrats! Very cool that two family members would find dimes dated one year apart and both would have 2 holes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread