What's new

Civil War era Virginia button?

  • Thread starter Thread starter umrgolf
  • Start date Start date
U

umrgolf

Guest
Backmark is superior quality, no gilt left, appears to be 2-piece thanks I/S
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0196.webp
    IMG_0196.webp
    27.5 KB · Views: 632
  • IMG_0195.webp
    IMG_0195.webp
    28.3 KB · Views: 475
I do not have a book, but i am thinking it is early 1900's.

Nova Treasure
 
Upvote 0
Hi ironspiders can't help with the button ID, but I think it says " Sic Semper Tyrannis " which means " Thus Ever To Tyrants" and therefore is the motto of Virginia. Anyway well done :icon_thumleft:.

hammered
 
Upvote 0
In Alberts...page 267 VA 29 RV1....that button...if period...should also have a makers mark from Horstmann/Philadelphia.
 
Upvote 0
Interesting button! The back is distinctly Civil War era, but Tice's book bears no record of a Virginia button with that particular face. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Kieth-Tx said:
In Alberts....that button...if period...should also have a makers mark from Horstmann/Philadelphia.

Does Albert's book show a pic of the face? I only have Tice's and the button doesn't appear.
 
Upvote 0
[
Does Albert's book show a pic of the face? I only have Tice's and the button doesn't appear.
[/quote]

Yes. It actually has quite a few Virginia buttons...but only one with the banner on the left side of the face. The front is identical is Iron Spiders....just the back mark is different.
 
Upvote 0
Is the position of the dead guy's face the same? Everything else identical? I don't understand why this isn't documented in Tice's book. Very bizarre.
 
Upvote 0
Here ya go...
 

Attachments

  • Button 002.webp
    Button 002.webp
    70.7 KB · Views: 578
  • Button 003.webp
    Button 003.webp
    49.1 KB · Views: 464
Upvote 0
Kieth-Tx said:
Here ya go...
Wow, it is identical -- thanks for sharing. I personally believe Iron's button to be legitimate despite no record of the "Superior Quality" backmark on a button with that face. Good find IS. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
The button looks like an early 1900's period button. The button shown in Alberts book would date the same with the HORSTMANN PHILADELPHIA backmark as that particular Horstmann marks dates and 1890's to 1940's A civil war period Superior Quality mark would not be stamped so well plus the shank would be different. Does the button look like it might have had brown enamel on the face? If so that would date it around WWI or so.
 
Upvote 0
Good find, too bad it appears to be post war but you should dig a period one someday soon.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom