civil war token? TEN BEST on back

cfoxtn21

Greenie
Dec 9, 2012
IMG_20121213_204616.jpg

IMG_20121217_131328.jpg

Any info would be appreciated. Dug along old railroad in middle tn.

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I would agree with it being a civil war token, and I'm thinking it's more of the store card variety (despite the patriotic front). It would make more "cents" if the back read "ten cent" rather than "ten best"... Is that possibly the case?

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I agree with nhbenz that it could be a 10 cent store token. It could also be a sutler token since it has military flags/cannon. There is a "10" at the bottom on the obverse. I can also see the letter S E V A around 11 o' clock. Neat find :) Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see "S B U R G" as part of the first word on the front. Could be a (Dyer)sburg or (Lee)sburg, Tennessee store token. Hope that helps. Great old find, Sub

Upvote 0

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That "Ten best" could be an abbreviation for Tennessee as "Tenness." What ya'all think?

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fox, could you clean the front a little more and take another pic so we can figure out the letters? Also it may help if we know where you found it; at least the state.

Sub, I see the S B U R G now. I retract my S E V A

Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fox, could you clean the front a little more and take another pic so we can figure out the letters? Also it may help if we know where you found it; at least the state.

Sub, I see the S B U R G now. I retract my S E V A

Breezie

Breezie, I think cfoxtn21 found this in "middle tn" (Tennessee,) according to the note below the photo. I concur, maybe a good cleaning will reveal more detail and solve the mystery of this nice find.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Breezie, I think cfoxtn21 found this in "middle tn" (Tennessee,) according to the note below the photo. I concur, maybe a good cleaning will reveal more detail and solve the mystery of this nice find.

Thanks Sub, I didn't see that under the pic. If it were found on a railroad track, it could have been transported from anywhere. Yes, hopefully cleaning will help the ID. :) Breezie

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• us_token_pittsburgh_landing_1862.jpg
    us_token_pittsburgh_landing_1862.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
cfoxtn21

cfoxtn21

Greenie
Dec 9, 2012
That is my token thank you thats the first ive seen of that reply ive sent pics and question marks all over.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is my token thank you thats the first ive seen of that reply ive sent pics and question marks all over.

My point was: You already knew the front of it said Pittsburgh Landing since that is what you called it on your TNet post on December 13th, which I just discovered when I found the other website. In the meantime Sub and the rest of us have been trying to figure out what the letters were on the front. I understand you're a newbie on TNet, and probably don't understand the rules of the forum, but it is always best to give ALL the information you have to prevent the other members from wasting time searching. We are all here to help each other. :) You have a really neat token. Breezie

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My point was: You already knew the front of it said Pittsburgh Landing since that is what you called it on your TNet post on December 13th, which I just discovered when I found the other website. In the meantime Sub and the rest of us have been trying to figure out what the letters were on the front. I understand you're a newbie on TNet, and probably don't understand the rules of the forum, but it is always best to give ALL the information you have to prevent the other members from wasting time searching. We are all here to help each other. :) You have a really neat token. Breezie

No kidding. Knowing what it said it literally took me under 5 seconds to find it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cfoxtn21

cfoxtn21

Greenie
Dec 9, 2012
I am sorry for the misunderstanding. I was trying to show the new pic of the reverse to someone else who i had already spoken on this site. Im using an app based form of this site and its not easy to navigate. I must have started a new thread. I looking for information on the coin I know what the other one says but mine is very diff on the reverse. And i know where it came from but im looking for more detailed info. Perhaps a battalion that may have received them. Or if a trade token the store that would have used it. Again i am sorry and would not mislead anyone for any reason.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread