What's new

Clamshell bead?

Blackfoot58

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2023
Messages
6,197
Reaction score
15,854
Golden Thread
0
Location
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was going through some rocks I had gotten from Muscatine County. Just west of the Mississippi River.
I came across the small disc with a center hole (clam shell pieces around it).
Muscatine was a large manufacturer of “pearl” buttons for decades.
My question, button slug or native clam shell bead? No other button-related detritus was found near it.
IMG_4102.webp
 
Upvote 9
Maybe some type of button?
 
Not sure if its a NA button or not. Your post brings back the memories of me and my grandpa just walking along the Mississippi there in Burlington, IA. I remember seeing half shells with multiple drilled holes scattered all over the rivers edge. Grandpa told me they all came from a pearl button factory that was once there in the area.
 
I had an uncle that was a leadman in a button factory in Muscatine. I was amazed to see the piles of “punched” shells waiting to be hauled off and barrels full of button blanks. This was around 1965.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom