Clay artifact with fingerprints? Found in Southern California

nopeseeya

Dec 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 150, Garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found here in Southern California, One hour away from LA.

While metal detecting on a permission about year ago, I found this "item".
Its one of a kind find for me and i happen to just dig it up while looking for metal.
I have yet to get good enough info on it.

It is a hollowed out like a pipe, and has a hole that was pierced through both sides.
Its possibly "broken" and missing a part. Its def made of clay.

It has multiple fingerprints on one side. They seem to be kind of small, i could be wrong.

It was found about 1/5 mile away from a river known to host NA activity for up to 10k years.

Thanks! I will post more pics if requested. these are the only two i have for now.
One picture has no flash, the other one does, showing the diff. in color.

1.jpg2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Very cool piece!

Steve

From the photo on the right, it looks as if the piece has a glaze on it. Does anyone know if native Americans create glazed pottery pieces?

Good guess, but i do not think that is it. Its more of a clay object with thicker walls. I would imagine a wind chime having thinner walls and being ceramic not clay so they make noise.

Moved to Am. Indian Artifact Forum for opinions...

This might be stretch but it may be a early electrical insulator used in walls in the early days. Especially if you were detecting around an old homestead. I only think of this because of its size, length and the glazing on it.

But then again I have been wrong before so says my wife, lol

I've got little experience in early NA materials but I am an electrician in CA and have seen many early insulators and isolaters. This is neither of those and to me, appears to be hand made.

I don't really know of flutes being made from clay. No purpose for wind chimes either, but hey, it's california so who knows? If it's indigenous, it's probably part of a pipe.

Its a neat find, whatever it is.

Last edited:
More modern than old by the glazed ceramic material

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back