What's new

Clay pipe

baspinall

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
2,465
Reaction score
846
Golden Thread
1
Location
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soooo one of the Moderators here turned me onto an auction that was going on locally. An older 1940's collection that was once donated to a museum. The museum showed the collection twice then decided to auction it off. Not sure why really. I bid on many items as it was an extensive VERY nice collection. Most of the artifacts were from PA.
The only thing I won was a clay pipe. This is one piece that had no description as to where it was from. Curious to know. I have a fairly large collection of points, axes etc. This is my first pipe.
Just wanted to know peoples thoughts on this piece and if it could be narrowed down any as to what area it may have come from.

On another note. My father collected in the 30's-80's. Some of his pieces that he didn't find had these stickers on them. Most of this collection had the exact same old aged stickers on them. I think he might have know the original owner of this collection but will never know.
 

Attachments

  • 20170530_161053.webp
    20170530_161053.webp
    237 KB · Views: 189
  • 20170530_161127.webp
    20170530_161127.webp
    175.5 KB · Views: 130
  • hc_1496175121248.webp
    hc_1496175121248.webp
    432.6 KB · Views: 144
Upvote 0
Interesting for sure. I know one thing about it. Somebody ruined it by writing those numbers on the bottom.......
 
Yeah I'm not sure why they cataloged it like that.
 
Yeah I'm not sure why they cataloged it like that.

They no doubt kept a catalog. But once the artifact is separated from the catalog, that type of cataloging is rendered meaningless.....
 
I have seen a lot of pipes but never one like that, I would be skeptical of it being terribly ancient, but JMHO
 
It is an odd pipe but it looks like a corn cobb pattern, but the yellow pigment is real bright in color. I would show it to some local collectors and get their view on it. Thanks for posting:occasion14:
 
I do know that the collection this was in was a very well know collection of Indian artifacts. It was on display at a museum for a couple years. Ive never seen this pattern either. Agreed it's kinda like a corm cob.
 
the only clay pipes like that i have seen were fakes on Ebay...I am sure clay pipes were a real thing but they sure aren't all that common
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom