Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple months ago I was digging an old brick road tear out, When I found this Coin/Token that was incrusted in Asphalt.

I had tried to soak it in Oil to hopefully loosen it up, but that didnt touch it.

So I went with soaking it in Gasoline, I did this for about a week straight, Pulled it out..and NOTHING..it didnt even loosen it

I pretty much figured it was a complete loss, I wasnt sure how the hell it was going to come off.

So , one day I decided to throw it in a bottle that i have soaking in CLR....Well i totally forgot about it for a few days.

Went back yesterday and saw gravel at the bottom of the bottle...I yanked it out and it was solid orange. with nothing on it anymore

I was happy it all came off, but not really happy that it was solid neon orange and I could barely make what was on it .

So this morning I sprayed it with oil and thought "Maybe i can put some Ash or something dark on it to sharpen up the details

WOW! it totally worked!!!

Sorry for the long thread, I was just amazed that this whole makeshift process actually worked!!

Heres a Pic of it before, i wish i would have shown the other side, it was just a huge lump of asphalt and not readable

CAM01819.jpg

And Here is after my Ghetto cleaning of it..lol

CAM02059.jpg CAM02058.jpg

I wouldnt suggest this method, but this thing was a lost cause and needed whatever it took

ive seen a couple that were similar to this, but never saw a "5" cent token

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow - that is a super improvement. I had to hold my breath when you said you soaked it in CLR for a few days. A friend of mine did that and the token was eaten away so badly that it was ruined. I don't know what kind of token he had, he may have had an aluminum one rather than brass. I often use CLR and a toothbrush but only for a minute or less. Anyway, good on you!
John in the Great 208

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread