What's new

Cleaned up that "V" nickel as best as I could ....heres a pic .

lorraine

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2010
Messages
4,474
Reaction score
3,764
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cleaned up that "V" nickel as best as I could ....here's a pic .

Can't do anymore for Ms. Liberty.

Couldn't get rid of those tiny pinhead copper dots ..anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for looking again.Lorraine
 

Attachments

  • Picture 7287.webp
    Picture 7287.webp
    70.4 KB · Views: 395
Upvote 0
Re: Cleaned up that "V" nickel as best as I could ....here's a pic .

Aside from using steel wool on it and ruin the thing I don't know. I've never seen those copper dots before. You did good. :thumbsup:
 
Re: Cleaned up that "V" nickel as best as I could ....here's a pic .

Sandman said:
Aside from using steel wool on it and ruin the thing I don't know. I've never seen those copper dots before. You did good. :thumbsup:

Thank you , Sandman; someone told me to soak the coin in Palmolive liquid soap and the copper may get re-absorbed. I'm going to try it..even though the coin has no value other than $.05. If it was in valuable condition, I wouldn't even touch it.

Lorraine
 
Re: Cleaned up that "V" nickel as best as I could ....here's a pic .

I have had coins that were unknown, and heavily crusted, and soaked them in vinegar. After a day, it was still there but when rinsed, it did flake off, and the crust was peacock crystals, and the coins were copper pennies that were under the sand in the ocean. I do know the copper does come out of the coin. In old cobs, which had a tiny bit of copper sometimes, they would very often have a green crust, called Verdigris which I think translates to green grey in Spanish. Sometimes they would have a black silver oxide crust, either way they would clean up fine with diluted muratic acid. As for yours, the palmolive wont make the coin reabsorb the copper. I dont think anything will work. Either leave it like it is, or with a tiny dental pick, and magnifying glass stand, pick each one off. Of very carefully use a knife. If done wrong either will scar it.
 
Re: Cleaned up that "V" nickel as best as I could ....here's a pic .

Thank you for all that info, Steve...much appreciated

Lorraine
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom