Cleaning my metal detector

DrPepper

Apr 7, 2020
Manchester
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

greetings from England. We are in home isolation so I can only dream about trips to the woods or on the beach. I can of course makes rounds in my garden but trust me I know every inch of that place already :laughing7: But I decided to check my equipment and perhaps clean it. Why do I say perhaps? Because how do you clean metal detector? Just a wet rag but is it just water or water and a detergent or are there maybe specialized products? I have Garrett ACE 250 if that helps. Any ideas and perhaps advice?

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! I just spray water from hose on the coil, wipe dry, and if control box is dusty just a dry cloth, if it's dirty, just wipe down with slightly damp cloth.
Jon from s/e Michigan
8-)
:cat:
:occasion14:
:headbang:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a rag wet with a little detergent (Dawn) & water. Over the winter I pull the coil cover and make sure the coil and inside coil crevices are clean.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean? You're supposed to clean your detector?? I've had my Ace 250 for more then 10 years. It has the original dirt on it from day one while out digging.:laughing7:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About the most important thing to clean is your coil cover if you have one. Even when they fit tight fine sand and dirt get inside, so you have periodically pull it off and rinse both the coil and the coil cover off.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some you guys are using water on a machines' box?! Damp rag, and just scrub.
But, remember to tear everything down, to dry, Corrosion is an enemy...!
So, getting dust/and or mud off the machine is good. removing batteries,
unhooking cables, etc - that kind of thing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread