What's new

Closer bead puctures.

FunWithTreasure

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2008
Messages
783
Reaction score
347
Golden Thread
0
So I got some closer pics of the bead I found while artifact hunting. I looked at it under magnification the paint is weird looking up close. I think it may be a trade bead but having never found one I want to be sure before I label it. I am excited about it. What do you think. It is glass
 

Attachments

  • image-154895206.webp
    image-154895206.webp
    42.4 KB · Views: 135
  • image-707031062.webp
    image-707031062.webp
    38 KB · Views: 371
  • image-3021808805.webp
    image-3021808805.webp
    28.2 KB · Views: 141
Upvote 0
The context means alot with beads unless it's a documented type... I would use your computer to research archaeological collections from your area.
Your states museum of Natural History.. May have a database.
Otherwise a general search For trade beads With your location in the search query might turn up something.
 
It looks like a trade bead , but I have never seen that type:icon_scratch:Here are a few from my arealocal beads 001.webp
 
I've never found multicolored ones over here.
Besides the tiny blue one that I found back in the scrub land away from any known site... the other three here were all found at one site in very good context close to eachother.

ForumRunner_20130812_220309.webp
 
I've never found multicolored ones over here.
Besides the tiny blue one that I found back in the scrub land away from any known site... the other three here were all found at one site in very good context close to eachother.

View attachment 844411

The largest of the 2 blue ones is what I call a Russian blue, I have found some of them here also:thumbsup:
 
That's them.. although in my reading they actually have nothing to do with Russia.."strange"
Thanks.
 
So I got some closer pics of the bead I found while artifact hunting. I looked at it under magnification the paint is weird looking up close. I think it may be a trade bead but having never found one I want to be sure before I label it. I am excited about it. What do you think. It is glass

attachment.php

Hey FWT,

Beautiful bead, sir. I don't know what part of this you believe to be paint, but I don't believe any paint was involved. Wonderful color combination for America.

I can't believe you haven't cleaned the mud off. Use a toothpick and punch out that schmutz. I wanna see this after some soapy fun with the toothbrush.

What I can tell you, is that I believe it started it's journey in Venice, Italy. It's a very fancy restrained style of millefiori glass bead. It was made using cut pieces of red and white glass canes, lampworked into the cobalt matrix.

Here's some examples of canes:
millefiori_canes.jpg

I'm guessing this is a 19th Century bead, because of the subtle use of the canes. Perhaps introduced into your area by Steven A. Frost & Son.

 
That's them.. although in my reading they actually have nothing to do with Russia.."strange"
Thanks.
Mountain Man Plains Indian Fur Trade Beads Pictures History Facts

One mention of source being from Bohemia(Chechen?)a place more claims seem to agree with,unlike our more familiar Venetian stuff.
Mention too of Russian acquisition from American and English traders.Where ever they acquired them they started trading them to natives on N.W. coast at least by late 1700s.
 
Last edited:
Nice bead find! I would clean any remaining dirt off like Surf said. I usually run some slow running water over most of my artifacts for a few minutes to soften it up before I try to remove the dirt. And then I use a soft toothbrush. Sometimes you have to repeat the process. Softening the dirt lessons the damage to the artifact.
 
Thanks for the info. The sticks look just like it that you posted. So is it a trade bead?
 
It looks for sure to be a bead from the right period.
 
Nice bead find! I would clean any remaining dirt off like Surf said. I usually run some slow running water over most of my artifacts for a few minutes to soften it up before I try to remove the dirt. And then I use a soft toothbrush. Sometimes you have to repeat the process. Softening the dirt lessons the damage to the artifact.

Most the time when I remove dirt from the center of a bead ,I will let it soak in water for 24hrs to make sure the dirt is soft. I broke a few before I started this:BangHead: by trying to get the dirt out before it became soft.8-)
 
Thanks for the tip. I would cry if I broke it. You dint find much stuff like this around Here.
 
Here's another tip... if you do any metal detecting hit that area.
 
I hit it a lot. Find some stuff mostly George coins from the early 1700s
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom