Coil problem?

dwebb210

Jun 10, 2010
Just received a Spectra V3i yesterday, and had it's maiden voyage today.

I hear a tone, dig a little, probe, dig some more, etc.

As I pass the coil over the hole, if I bump a chunk of dirt the meter freaks out for a second.

At first I thought that meant my target was in the chunk of dirt, but then I started tapping the coil (on it's side) on the ground.
Same thing.

I wiggled the wire at the coil, and caused it to think it found a signal.

What gives?

It is the factory DD coil.

Thanks

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of detectors do this now days because of using foam inside the coil instead of resin which increases weight a tiny bit but gives increased stability. Secure the cable with so it doesn't move and try not to bump the coil on the dirt.

OP
OP
D

dwebb210

Jun 10, 2010
Sandman said:
A lot of detectors do this now days because of using foam inside the coil instead of resin which increases weight a tiny bit but gives increased stability. Secure the cable with so it doesn't move and try not to bump the coil on the dirt.

It isn't as if I was swinging a golf club. It was a gentle bump. Light taps caused the problem.

If this is a known issue, I'll have to get a different coil as a few times it caused me to have to reset the ground balance.

Irritating for a new unit at that price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread