Coin Rings

coinman66

Nov 23, 2006
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle II SL 90
Has anybody ever seen these? My father taught me how to make these. It takes about 4 hours average to make one. The bad part is the toll it takes on your hands, OUCH! It makes my hands cramp. The largest is a 1964 Kennedy half, the medium size one is a 1944 Washington quarter, and the smallest i made for my daughter, which is a 1928 Mercury dime. I thought about making these to sell on EBAY. What would be a fair selling price?

Attachments

• Metal Detector Finds 144.jpg
    Metal Detector Finds 144.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,223
  • Metal Detector Finds 145.jpg
    Metal Detector Finds 145.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,217
  • Metal Detector Finds 152.jpg
    Metal Detector Finds 152.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,196
  • Metal Detector Finds 153.jpg
    Metal Detector Finds 153.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,195

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
coinman66 said:
Has anybody ever seen these? My father taught me how to make these. It takes about 4 hours average to make one. The bad part is the toll it takes on your hands, OUCH! It makes my hands cramp. The largest is a 1964 Kennedy half, the medium size one is a 1944 Washington quarter, and the smallest i made for my daughter, which is a 1928 Mercury dime. I thought about making these to sell on EBAY. What would be a fair selling price?

At 4 hours labor $10 an hour would be $40.00.....don't think they will sell for that for each one :( :(
But they are indeed different :)

OldBillinUT

Feb 7, 2004
Man I haven't seen one of these for a long time. My Dad showed me how to make them with a spoon.

I think that I was invited to do it outside because my Mom was going bonkers from hearing tink,tink,tink. A fun idea to do.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen these on the net before. I bought one for 35 bucks for my high school graduation ring, rather than buying one of those junk celestrium baubles. Anyhow, the one that I bought had the coin details turned around to the outside. It was a Walking Liberty Half. Traditionally, the details face inward though.

Buckleboy

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember making these too as a kid. The spoons were heavier then and made good lil hammers. I can't remember if I ever finished making one though. I did find one once made out of a quarter and went to get a photo of it for the Finds page, but don't remember where I stored the thing. When I locate it, I'll post it.

Sandman

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dimeman said:
At 4 hours labor $10 an hour would be $40.00.....don't think they will sell for that for each one :( :(

I respectfully, but totally, disagree. Plenty of people would pay that or more. Ebay may not be your target market though - you may do better selling on consignment to smaller local boutiques (which is how many smaller stores buy and sell jewelry made by independent craftsmen). Also may look into craft fairs - I have a friend who has developed a successful jewelry-making business this way. I think they're beautiful :D :D
Lara

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Coinman. . .

Those rings are really neat! I would think $40 or $50 per ring would be a very fair price.

A friend of my grandfather's who was in the First World War told me when he wasn't firing artillery at the Germans he would pass the time making "trench-rings" from French coins. One of the relics he gave me when I was 12 was the 75mm "anvil" that he had used for pounding the edges of his coins on.

Attachments

• DSC_4739.JPG
    DSC_4739.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,005

deadringer

Jan 20, 2004
Lindenhurst, NY
I have been making these for about 5 years, my grandfather used to make these in WWII and my father and uncle made them when they were kids, they used to use a spoon to hammer the coins out.. i started out that way then bought a brass jewelers hammer, i can hammer out a ring from a half dollar in about an hour from coin to polished ring.. If you go too fast you'll bend the ring, also if you take your time when filing out the inside you can get rid of that raised ring inside that makes the ring uncomfortable to wear, just be careful not to destroy the writing inside. I have seen these on ebay but they generally only sell for 5-10 dollars, even the vintage ones unfortunately. I mainly make them as gifts and occasionally sell one. There is a press you can buy where you just drill a hole in a coin and it turns it inside out, thats where the rings with the details on the outside come from, unfortunately cold forging silver rings from coins is not really worth it for the money. I have one made out of a morgan, its HUGE and it took almost a week of just hammering. Good Luck with it.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Deadringer, Yep, these can be made from clad coins. I made one for my daughter from a clad quarter, so it would show the copper color also. Turned out really nice, and no seperation.

deadringer

Jan 20, 2004
Lindenhurst, NY
Thats cool, all the clad Ive tried to turn into a ring always ends up all bent and ugly, although i use a jewelers hammer and harder coins tend to bend when you use too much force. I have had limited success with Canadian loonies. Also zinc pennies split open as well. I may try making a clad half dollar ring though with a spoon, but ill bet it'll take a ridiculous amount of time.. im pretty patient, but not that patient.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
I used a small brass hammer. Here's a pic. Made out of Oregon quarter.

Attachments

• ring 001.jpg
    ring 001.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 892
  • ring 005.jpg
    ring 005.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 898

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread