What's new

Coin roll hunting.

Digger RJ

Platinum Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2017
Messages
22,153
Reaction score
37,830
Golden Thread
1
Location
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got $100 for My BDay and went to a bank and got $100 worth of halves. Not a Silver in the mix.
It’s actually a challenge to find that many halves. I was wondering if I’d have better luck at Quarters, or if there’s another direction I should go to look for Silvers in coin roll hunting??
Any help will be Much Appreciated!! Happy Hunting!!
 
Upvote 0
Silver is a bonus. I search for errors.

Time for more coffee.
 
You might have more luck with dimes. My banks never have halves. I order a few boxes a year, although the bank seemingly hates ordering them.
 
I agree. You would have better luck with dimes. I do not recommend quarters.
 
You would have better odds getting struck by lightening than finding a silver quarter in the wild, (unless you are MD). Searching halves like most guys, the payoff is good to great, but the series of EMPTY BOXES or "Skunks" is very high. That's why I mostly do dimes, either MWR or CWR, and Bags preferred. A 40% half is equal to 2-Rosies, a 90% equal to 5-Rosies, so when a find 2-Rosies per box I just think of it as 1-40%half. Just last Friday out of 5-boxes, I found 1,1,2,5,6. But in my area, it's very difficult to DUMP halves.
 
Halves are my favorite. If I had $100 to "spend", and I was only after silver, I'd always get halves if available - followed by dimes and then quarters. You're already at the bank, might as well get the whole $100 worth.
 
I agree with Arkie. If you only have $100, make it halves, preferably customer rolled halves.
 
I wonder if the common use of quarters in car washes, vending machines, laundry mats, etc, have caused a faster pulling of quarters from the system. The guys that own those businesses probably know about silver. Ive only ever found one quarter in the wild.
 
The silver quarters are still out there!! My previous job was maintaining the claw machines @Walmart's and I came across plenty of silver quarters!! Miss that job
 
From my limited experience, customer rolled dime coin rolls are best, unfortunately, these are few and far between. :dontknow:
 
The silver quarters are still out there!! My previous job was maintaining the claw machines @Walmart's and I came across plenty of silver quarters!! Miss that job

A couple of local homeless camp out in the vestibule in front of the local Walmart's Coinstar and keep close watch of it. They recover the silver from the reject tray and immediately take it inside to spend.
 
You would have better odds getting struck by lightening than finding a silver quarter in the wild, (unless you are MD). Searching halves like most guys, the payoff is good to great, but the series of EMPTY BOXES or "Skunks" is very high. That's why I mostly do dimes, either MWR or CWR, and Bags preferred. A 40% half is equal to 2-Rosies, a 90% equal to 5-Rosies, so when a find 2-Rosies per box I just think of it as 1-40%half. Just last Friday out of 5-boxes, I found 1,1,2,5,6. But in my area, it's very difficult to DUMP halves.

Agreed. Coinstar reject trays can be good for silver quarters. I found three in January at a Coinstar just walking out of my local Safeway.

Halves in my area have dried up. We went through 24 consecutive skunk boxes - that's 24,000 coins searched without a silver.
 
Last edited:
A couple of local homeless camp out in the vestibule in front of the local Walmart's Coinstar and keep close watch of it. They recover the silver from the reject tray and immediately take it inside to spend.

What I was referring to were the stuffed animal claw machines..they generate alot of money! I doubt the homeless are spending their change on those claw machines. But I would always check the coinstar myself and found quite a bit of silver (mostly dimes)..I would even use a tool I made to "sweep" underneath the entire coinstar machine!! Found a few silvers that way and about $60 in clad(over a few weeks and many machines)
 
From my limited experience, customer rolled dime coin rolls are best, unfortunately, these are few and far between. :dontknow:
Is it because of banks going cashless? When I quit hunting about 5 years ago, I had at least $2k-$3k in cwr dimes lined up between 4 banks, per month. Are dimes that hard to find now?
 
What I was referring to were the stuffed animal claw machines..they generate alot of money! I doubt the homeless are spending their change on those claw machines. But I would always check the coinstar myself and found quite a bit of silver (mostly dimes)..I would even use a tool I made to "sweep" underneath the entire coinstar machine!! Found a few silvers that way and about $60 in clad(over a few weeks and many machines)

I understood your post. Due to the spending of silver from the Coinstar reject trays, IMO there is slightly better chance of getting silver in change at a Walmart than at places where there are not homeless on benches focused on the reject tray 2 feet in front of them and on the other vending machines.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom