Collect, Sell or Fun?

vinny1957

Jan 4, 2012
Denver, Co.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Do you hunt with the view to sell (make money) or do you hunt to collect or just purely for the fun and enjoyment?
Or maybe all depending what you find? Just wondering. For me and I haven't been out once yet, right now it's the enjoyment and relaxation I think. After 35 years of working it doesn't sound bad. What about you?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me it's all about finding the unexpected. Finding that silver or gold coin, a gold nugget, or even a wheatie. "It's not about making any money."

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think if someone gets in to this hobby (and thats the key word) and looks at it as a job to make money, they are going to be very dissapointed. Although people do make enough money to pay for their machine, i really doubt too many people make enough money to live off of, unless you happen to find a cache of gold coins and then hope someone doesnt take it away from them.

So enjoy the HOBBY and if you make money, then so be it...just dont EXPECT it.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Strictly fun. Most times I don't even clean my finds...just toss em in a jar. I'll rub em if a coin to see a date or if it's a curious artifact I may put some effort into cleaning it....but just fun...A day out, some fresh air to blow the stink off, a hike into the woods, or just seeing what a place looks like a 100 years later from what my research showed....

It just closes my mind off the harsh realities of life and allow me to escape into some fantasy world where nothing matters....pure relaxation! :thumbsup:

Al

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exercise, & Curiousity !

Value is a Bonus (Gas Rebate)

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
All of the above...

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, hello from up here in Summit County, Vinny1957. I hunt just for enjoyment. But I do admit I always have that thought 'Well, I didn't find it this time...but next time maybe, just maybe..'. Kinda like those guys who hunt for the Loch Ness monster on the Discovery Channel.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mostly for the fun, but always with a little hope that the next hunt will turn up a seriously good find. Always curious as to what made the detector beep.
luvsdux

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:icon_thumright:

fun. the finds...silver...gold it's all good. yeah, you totally have to live for today while working at digging things up...all of it makes it a good time being out and the most addicting hobby ever! :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the above! I do it for the fun, the exercise never hurts... it's great finding something good to add to my collection, but certain things I let go for a stack of cash. It's all good!

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
I've never find anything valuable enough to sell and I keep on going, like I'm obsessed at times. :blob9: So it has to be for fun.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
To me MDin is an adventure never knowing what will come next.I broke my back in 4 places falling off a ladder back in 06,I find that lookin is the BEST therapy there is instead of sitting around getting all stiff.Gotta go swing now! God Bless Chris

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fun and the hunt. I spend the clad, save the (rare) silver and jewelry, and recast the modern lead.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its simply , to win a piece of bread, i am always smiling.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In their proper order

1- Fun.. A day out, mystery, excitement, unknown and talking with people you meet (babes included) :thumbsup:
2- Collecting. I have an amazing collection of pull tabs, and toy cars from over the years :laughing7:
3- Selling: Never found anything of great value yet, but I have sold a good deal of costume jewelry :laughing7:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's the thrill of the hunt. When I find something cool, and it doesn't have to be valuable, I get happy. I hope to have lots of happy this afternoon. :)

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Add to the options; healthy, outdoor excercise with peace of mind mixed with optimistic outlook.
'bout as much fun a man can have with his clothes on

DigImust

Jan 30, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't sold any of my better finds and doubt I ever will. Cleaned my first years clad finds and cashed them in at the bank when I accumalated about $300. I think MDing is about as perfect a form of recreational endeavor as man has ever devised. Fresh air, exercise, and the thrill of the unexpected find. It satisfies man's natural inclination to hunt. That should about cover it. ;D
Pablo

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I supose all of the above to one degree or another.......but honestly.......once I slip on those headphones the rest of the world just plain goes away. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions