What's new

Colonial coppers and a FUGIO! !

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2013
Messages
1,632
Reaction score
3,078
Golden Thread
1
Location
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit my go to cellar hole since the owner moved a bit of dirt around. Who knew one bucket load of dirt would be so target rich! Nabbed a couple KG III's, a KG II, some button and a Fugio Chain cent! !! I'm pretty stoked! I'm not sure which variety, so any help with that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot for looking guys and as always, HH!





 
Upvote 42
Heck of a hunt :occasion14:
 
man you killed it!
 
Hi; Great Finds. A Fugio in Canada ?? WOW.!!! Do not clean it harshly. Please soak it in water for a few days then take a wooden toothpick and GENTLY "push" off the dirt that has loosened. This may take a while but the end results will be very well worth it ok. It's been in the ground for over 200 years. Don't rush it ok. PEACE:RONB
 
The best I ever found in Pueblo, CO was a holed Spanish copper with a third missing due to the lime in the soil. A Fugio would make my year! I think I would have it professionally cleaned and graded. Very nice find and smart move to dig a bucket of dirt.
 
Very nice...rare find on either side of the border!
 
Congratualtions on the Fugio cent and "his" copper friends! :occasion14:
 
What a day! Congratulations on all of the wonderful coppers. Hope he moves a little more dirt around.
 
The Fugio alone would have made for a stellar day but four KGs too? Wow, congratulations!
 
As stated, an awesome day for sure.
 
I will never find a Fugio cent down here, so I will have to buy one to fulfill my bucket list. Great find!
 
Very cool, from the imagination of Ben Franklin way back then all the way to your hand now! :treasurechest::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
(I think it was Franklin who designed the Fugio, or at least he influenced it)
 
Very impressive coppers, congrats on a successful revisit of your site. There's nothing like seeing a site open up with moved earth.
 
Thank you all very much! I didn't even have a chain cent on my bucket list because I didn't think there was any chance of digging one here! So happy to have it!
 
Very nicely done,,
Amazing what can be reached once a few inches of dirt gets moved around.
Congrats on all your finds,, especially the Fugio.
The Fugio Cent was coined in New Haven, Connecticut and Ben Franklin was a contributor to the legends stamped on the coins.
 
Great finds! Looks like that's as "clean" as it's going to get. I certainly wouldn't put water on it, or risk losing all detail. But if you're finding coppers regularly then you probably already knew to disregard others' cleaning advice on up in the thread. Congrats on a fantastic coin. Would be a dream find for many. Cheers,Buck
 
Great finds! Looks like that's as "clean" as it's going to get. I certainly wouldn't put water on it, or risk losing all detail. But if you're finding coppers regularly then you probably already knew to disregard others' cleaning advice on up in the thread. Congrats on a fantastic coin. Would be a dream find for many. Cheers,Buck


He has a direct line to cleaning advice and used it. :) And I've already said the same thing, he did a good job and that's the best result possible based on what he was dealing with. Thin out the corrosion with a peroxide soak to expose some detail, but no water. To be honest I don't know if he followed my advice, but regardless the only thing that counts is the end result. Water can work the same way for some, but you risk losing too much color.. and for some reason the peroxide is more forgiving and the color often dries back. A Fugio is definitely on my want list, but is a very tough one to cross off, especially here... but he did it! :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom