confederate treasure map ?

charlesgaspass

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2022
i found this tree 45 years ago. always wondered what all the carvings on the tree were. recently i went back to the tree and took pics and now thinking this is part of a confederate treasure map this tree is outside of danville virginia. in the tree u can see three elm trees. u can see the initials WHP. there is crescent moons and a one legged horse with a stick figure man behind it. also the number 3 is on it with what appears to be steps. above all that it says S + W

Attachments

• 684EEF3E-F4E3-4518-A670-9712F015AF66.jpeg
    684EEF3E-F4E3-4518-A670-9712F015AF66.jpeg
    650.2 KB · Views: 422
Upvote 7

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Interesting for sure. But the CW ended 157 years ago. Let's be conservative and say that tree was 30 years old at the end of the war. Do you think that tree is close to 200 years old?

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only way to know for sure on the age is to cut it down and count the growth rings.Or get a tree core drill and take a core sample and count the rings.You only count the rings from center to outside on one half of the trunk. Do that and you know the age within a few years,otherwise it,s a guess. I have no idea what that is,it,s not a witness tree,it could be the equivalent of doodling on a piece of paper,using a tree trunk,by a bored Indian,or it could be a treasure map.Good luck in your quest.

Reactions: RTR
OP
OP
C

charlesgaspass

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2022
there were many trees written on by the confederates, bob brewer found treasure near a tree similar marking to this one. who knows but it is interesting

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I too see 1926. Could it be a grave marker? I'd look around the base for bones. Also looks like a name on top "Jhon" misspelt for John?

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in the timber business - looks like a Beech tree from here - they are a slow growing hardwood.
Beech trees are know as the "initial tree" because whatever you carve on them stays visible for many years.
Also, it's hard to tell the diameter of the tree in the photo - if it's over 2 ft. in diameter it could be 150 - 200 years old.

Good luck on your research !

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only way to know for sure on the age is to cut it down and count the growth rings.Or get a tree core drill and take a core sample and count the rings.You only count the rings from center to outside on one half of the trunk. Do that and you know the age within a few years,otherwise it,s a guess. I have no idea what that is,it,s not a witness tree,it could be the equivalent of doodling on a piece of paper,using a tree trunk,by a bored Indian,or it could be a treasure map.Good luck in your quest.
You can also measure the tree and use that species growth factor. Just measure around the tree about 4-5 feet above the trunk and divide by pi and then multiply by the growth factor and it will get you relatively close. It’s not as accurate as counting the rings though.
04A32D0D-6BAA-4488-9226-C38DDDA1DC4F.jpeg

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also measure the tree and use that species growth factor. Just measure around the tree about 4-5 feet above the trunk and divide by pi and then multiply by the growth factor and it will get you relatively close. It’s not as accurate as counting the rings though. View attachment 2020167
Good enough for me!!! Thanks,that,s interesting and I didn,t know that.Learned something today!

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great idea that about the growth factor and circumference in determining age. Tried it on myself and it says I'm 2 years!! My wife says that is about right...

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the first pic, I see the word 'you' and a little lower than that I see 1926.
I also see the "you" and 76 but I am not sure about the two symbols before 76. And, it looks like there may be more symbols under the moss.

Last edited:

goldnuggets

Apr 11, 2022
i found this tree 45 years ago. always wondered what all the carvings on the tree were. recently i went back to the tree and took pics and now thinking this is part of a confederate treasure map this tree is outside of danville virginia. in the tree u can see three elm trees. u can see the initials WHP. there is crescent moons and a one legged horse with a stick figure man behind it. also the number 3 is on it with what appears to be steps. above all that it says S + W
Could be kgc, that would be cool

OP
OP
C

charlesgaspass

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2022
these are interesting for sure. elm trees. crescent moons. there is the name varina in there which is jefferson davis wife name. another name i. there is mary which is varina best friend. there also is a one legged horse pic on there in like stick figure. treasure to be found ? i don’t know

Attachments

• 056D7D21-5402-4B95-85DB-49FF003115CE.jpeg
    056D7D21-5402-4B95-85DB-49FF003115CE.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 38

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
these are interesting for sure. elm trees. crescent moons. there is the name varina in there which is jefferson davis wife name. another name i. there is mary which is varina best friend. there also is a one legged horse pic on there in like stick figure. treasure to be found ? i don’t know
I don,t either,but I love your screen name!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread