Construction Site Crystal!

Hopefullgirl

Aug 31, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A new college has just been built on untouched Texas land. While exploring it I noticed they were dumping large left-over rocks as pathways in the parking lot. I decided to take a closer look at some of them and came across a lovely crystal of some sort.

0830171656.jpg

0830171656a.jpg

I have taken in the possibility that it may be Calcite so I tried to scratch at it with some smokey quartz I have in my collection and no marks were left on it. Further comparing to the quartz, they both streak white and do not react to vinegar or lemon juice. Light passes through both and they both reflect the light back normally. I will add more pictures as I go. May someone help me finish off my investigation?

OP
OP
H

Hopefullgirl

Aug 31, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to crystal Identification so I hope I didnt make a mistake, especially with the scratch test. Heres some more pictures with light.
0831171317.jpg

0831171316_HDR.jpg

I broke the crystal at a weak point and got a small piece. I took pictures of it next to clear and smokey quartz.

0831171314.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hopefullgirl

Aug 31, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woah thats a lovely rose quartz! I wish I could break the rest of this rock off my crystal so it looks a little cleaner :unhappysmiley:

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where do I get things like this cut? Because thats a neat idea. :)

If you know anyone with a tile saw they might be able to cut it for you, I cut a couple geodes for a friend with mine a while back and had good results. There's also this place : Houston Rock Shop - Buy Rocks, Minerals and Fossils Online & at Our Location in Katy, Texas - 535 Pin Oak Rd I don't know that they do cutting, but they will know someone local to them who does......but with all that's going on there now they might not be open or even in the area. You might be able to find a similar place near you though

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The pinkish color would have me guessing rose quartz to. Not a crystal though - compare to the smoky quartz crystal.
Your found piece is a massive piece of rose quartz.

You might have a local lapidary club to help with cutting and polishing it. Look it up!

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also anyone with a glass shop might have a diamond saw, or anyone who does granite work or brick work may have a saw. I have 2 in the glass shop I work at

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions