cool mystery!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What do I have here? This is what I know. I found these on the beach in the mud at a spot where the remains of an old settler cabin once stood. I find a lot of things in this spot and the mud preserves items well. The bottles on the site date it to at least the 1880's but a lot of items date further back. It was once an Indian gathering site for multiple villages and pot-latch items have been found here too. The natives and settlers here intermarried early and their decedents never left. They are a unrecognized landless band with a lot of pride....having said that I really doubt a native American connection with these items but since I have no idea what they are....well, there you go.

These things were all found together, there are more of them in the mud, they are all laid out next to each other in graduating sizes like ribs on a boat (which they are not). They are made of wood but not made from dimensional lumber, these were all made by hand from local spruce, you can see the tool marks (looks like a metal knife to me..or ax) and there is even some inner bark left in places. One end is whittled down to be pegged into something but the other end is different. The other end tapers to its conclusion based on the form of the over all piece.

One of y'all must have a clue. The local economy has always been primarily oystering dating back to the 1840's and still is today. One other clue may be the blacksmithing tools I have found here as well.

Attachments

• DSC01587.JPG
    DSC01587.JPG
    344 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC01588.JPG
    DSC01588.JPG
    376.4 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC01585.JPG
    DSC01585.JPG
    262.9 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC01583.JPG
    DSC01583.JPG
    373.3 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC01586.JPG
    DSC01586.JPG
    323.7 KB · Views: 111

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting !

0183.JPG

1 Notch for each person Stabbed with it & Buried in the Basement ?

I Don't know much about Fur Trapping, But My "Hunch" Possible Fur/leather
cleaning Tools :dontknow:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its Wolverines Grandfathers claws... during the depression he had to scap the metal ones and use these.

:P

Upvote 0

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe for hanging fish in a smoke house ?

Upvote 0

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very interesting, one is widdled down to a point the other end is tapered, my first thought it was used for weaving, but Im not to sure about that because they are so big..

Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A rake ?

Maybe a clam, oyster, scallop rake ?
How about cranberries ? ... do they do cranberries where you are at ?

cranberry.jpg

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A lot of labor into making them.
Different tool work shows on different pieces.

Clam rake is the only thing I can guess from here.
Fids came to mind but there are no rear hole/hollow for splicing rope ,and no cordage hole or notch for net making. And the shape of the o.p.'s pieces are not like" most" fids.

We need more context.
IF different hands used tools differently to make them. There may have been a cottage type industry making them. For whatever they were used for.

Upvote 0

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,

rakes and pitchforks were made generally out of wood in the good old times. I remember an old man as a kid which made hay with a selfmade wood pitchfork. Preferred carving to watching TV.

Greets Namxat

Upvote 0
OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
A rake ?

Maybe a clam, oyster, scallop rake ?
How about cranberries ? ... do they do cranberries where you are at ?

View attachment 1710165

yes cranberries are a big part of the local economy too. But the graduated size of the different pieces and the length of the longer ones make me doubt they are for that. However, these ideas do seem to be getting to somewhere....I like how the tapered ends look like scoops and the other ends fit into a holder.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
A lot of labor into making them.
Different tool work shows on different pieces.

Clam rake is the only thing I can guess from here.
Fids came to mind but there are no rear hole/hollow for splicing rope ,and no cordage hole or notch for net making. And the shape of the o.p.'s pieces are not like" most" fids.

We need more context.
IF different hands used tools differently to make them. There may have been a cottage type industry making them. For whatever they were used for.

...yes something functional but not a one off...something others would have made and used too.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Could they be sticks to start friction fires? One question I have you say they were all laid out in order. Dont you have storms? What body of water is this beach? A lake or ocean?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Could they be sticks to start friction fires? One question I have you say they were all laid out in order. Dont you have storms? What body of water is this beach? A lake or ocean?

ocean bay, and yes it is storms that have been uncovering things from the mud...but it is a very sheltered bay and very shallow.

Upvote 0

cellerfeller

May 15, 2019
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought was - push them into a frame on the ground then weave a basket around the uprights, curve sets the curve on the basket. An old fellow showed me how to make a pound ash splint fishing creel once. He used a frame with temporary uprights - really helped set the first few rows of weavers and make the curve. Once the first few rows of weavers were dried he took the creel off the form and finished weaving on his lap - made a beautiful creel. Very interesting mystery - hope someone can nail it down.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
usually I can figure these things out pretty quick, but this one is beyond my experience. Yet I know it most likely has a simple answer. I have been back to the spot, there were a few more of these but they were split and ragged.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
usually I can figure these things out pretty quick, but this one is beyond my experience. Yet I know it most likely has a simple answer. I have been back to the spot, there were a few more of these but they were split and ragged.

Ribs from a bull-boat frame?

bullboat3.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread