mydejavooo

Oct 26, 2011
Hansen, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Whites Spectrum XLT e-series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Took the Whites Prizm 5G out today, and I was getting a little frustrated with it. My mistake was taking it to a relatively NEW park, and all I was coming up with were some corroded Zincoln pennies, and some miscellaneous odds and ends. Nothing to write home about. I was sincerely missing my 6000 DI Pro, and was even thinking that this new Whites was NOT a good decision. However, not being one to give up, and wanting to give the detector a chance.....I took it over to a friend's house that is about 100 years old. Started out by the sidewalk, and came up with a really COOL find! The detector hit with a 25 cent and 50 cent hit, about 6" down. I dug down right next to the sidewalk and came up with what looked like a washer....then I noticed that the hole was square. I rubbed off some of the dirt and saw some writing. I was thinking that it was a token of some kind. My buddy went in the house and did a little internet research while I was detecting into the coming night time darkness. He came back and said that it was an OLD Chinese coin! Turns out it is a Qing Dynasty Cash - Ch-ien Lung (1736-1795)! Guess it was from the Chinese prospectors that came through the area in the gold-rush days, or at least that's a logical explanation! Just wanted to share some photos of it.

Also, found my first wheat cent today! 1928-S wheatie!! Also found the copper end of a 1920's "Federal Hi-Power" shotgun shell. Cool patina, and just gives me an idea of how old his place is. In MY neck of the woods, 100 years is old, unfortunately, so I have to take the "old finds" where I can. Still waiting to unearth some of the older coins like the Barber dimes, seated Libertys, etc, etc. But today is one for the logbooks. I have created a journal of my finds, and this day is worthy of the journal!!
SI850302.jpg

SI850296.jpg

DeJa

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
congratz on the chinese cache coin. Although they have no value, they are fun to find. They show that you are in a zone/strata of potential for 1920s or earlier anyhow (ie.: "age indicators").

Despite the age of them, they weren't necessarily lost even remotely near their mint age. The apparently circulated even as late as the 1920s or so (based on the sites we find them at in CA, and knowing that they were minted even in to the early 1900s). And age/mint had nothing to do with how long they circulated. Like, there must have been literal barrells full of them arriving in the USA. They can even have dates back to the 1600s, yet be found at sites which are clearly late 1800's at the earliest.

We find them by the handfuls at any site giving up coins from pre '20s here in CA. One time during some oldtown demolition in a "china town" district in my city, I think I had something like a dozen in one hunt. They keep you "holding your breath" though, because barbers and seateds are in the same area.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is cool! Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread