✅ SOLVED Cool old sewing machine age?

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this in today's finds but I was curious if any of y'all might know about how old this is? It looks pretty ancient. I can't find any writing due to the rust. Just that decorative close up shot that I really can't make anything out of.

Attachments

• image-3876196826.jpg
    image-3876196826.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 316
  • image-284417049.jpg
    image-284417049.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 256
  • image-2513563665.jpg
    image-2513563665.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 366

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Singer badges were usually round or tear-drop shaped. It might be a Franklin or White Rotary.
No idea on age.

Upvote 0

TomPA

Feb 13, 2011
Western PA.
Detector(s) used
F75
AT Pro Gold
Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No idea on the maker, but I'd guess it's from the mid-1890's.

Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
740119d1360686006-cool-old-sewing-machine-age-image-2513563665.jpg

Hey Josh,

That is an interesting badge, unlike any that I've seen from Singer. Those ornate entangled letter designs can be tough to untangle.

I think I see an I, M & S, with a couple extra S's for good measure. Isaac Merritt Singer was a heck of an interesting character.

If you cannot see any serial numbers, you might contact Singer and see what they can tell you. They appear to have archivists: Singer 160th Anniversary | We've come SEW far. Share your own SINGER story and help us celebrate 160 years of a legendary sewing brand.

4549387-the-singer-logo-on-vintage-sewing-machine.jpg

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen a couple of Singer sewing machines and all of them had Singer or there badge like you posted above on it, but did they make sowing machines that did not have Singer or there company logo on it but a logo like is on this sewing machine?. I do not think Royal St John sewing machines had a badge like this too, interesting to find out who made this!

Upvote 0

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really can't help with the ID any, though it's not like any Singer I've ever seen. However the bobbin is the old long type, which was discontinued by most makers around the turn of the twentieth century, so it's over a hundred years old. The body shape reminds me of an old White, but many makers paid for the right to copy another's patent, such as J.C. Penny, Kreske, Sears, ect. and would have the vendors logo on them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Joshr29

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
surf said:
Hey Josh,

That is an interesting badge, unlike any that I've seen from Singer. Those ornate entangled letter designs can be tough to untangle.

I think I see an I, M & S, with a couple extra S's for good measure. Isaac Merritt Singer was a heck of an interesting character.

If you cannot see any serial numbers, you might contact Singer and see what they can tell you. They appear to have archivists: Singer 160th Anniversary | We've come SEW far. Share your own SINGER story and help us celebrate 160 years of a legendary sewing brand.

I just shot singer an email with those pics. Thanks a lot for that link and all your help. I love it when I find a relic that intrigues people so much. I would have never thought much of it until all the good people on here started posting. Maybe it's a one of a kind... :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Joshr29

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks a bunch for that info. Will try them right away. Hopefully I can let y'all know something soon.

Upvote 0

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SOLVED! Good job!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Joshr29

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie P, you are the man. Great job on that one. Do you just know sewing machines really well or did you have to research a lot? Either way, that was an awesome ID. Thank you so much and thanks so much to everyone else that was helping. I'm on my iPhone so I can't mark it solved. I think you should have that honor Charlie :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Joshr29

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.S.

Nobody needs to bother on a value because I am a relic hoarding addict. I'm gonna mount that on a nice piece of wood and its goin inside. Sorry Honey. HH everyone!

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, I don't know sewing machines really well. THE ADMIRAL (my wife) uses an old Franklin treadle that could sew two belts to a board and we have an equally old Standard as an end table in the livingroom. Just googled "Treadel Sewing Machines" and then selected Images and looked for visual clues.

My secret is my Dad was born in 1912 and my Pop-in-Law in 1909 and I have the advantage of seeing most "whatzits" posted here in garages and cellars of my home or those of deceased relatives at one time or another; so I know where to begin a search criteria. I'm also interested in everything. ;-)

THE ADMIRAL knits with the wool off the sheep we raise (in a barn with no electricity, next to the chickens). I still USE a lot of the Whatzits that pop up.

Giving away my research secrets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:
Upvote 0